First two batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
Newby here - I am hooked and can't wait to keep going! I have done my first two batches, no color, no scent and just experiencing with plain bases to experiement with the oils. The first one that I made was with EVOO with castor. After just using what I had in the house, I am learning that I should have used the "hard" OO instead. I am doing CP to start.

I am worried that the soap did not saponify correctly and that my pH is too high. I tried to hand mix the first batch, just to see, but after it taking WAAAYYY to long, I broke out the mixer. Is this where I might have gone wrong and it cooled too fast? It never did gel, but looks lovely, very creamy. I also need to get a better pH tester than the ol' litmus strips, but just had to try with what I had at home :lol: Still waiting to unmold the second batch!

Thanks all!

You can really use any type of OO for soapmaking. When I started I was using EVOO but as I started making more soap I switched to Pomace since it is cheaper.

Soap doesn't have to gel and some people try hard to keep it from gelling. If you are concerned about the pH, cut it and do the tongue test....if you feel a little zap the pH may be off. If you don't feel anything then you are good to go.

Good luck
Joanne

Thanks! No Zap. I think it is just called paranoia! Why is it that some gel and some don't? I read something on one one of the other threads, but never could figure out the reason.

Back