February Challenge- Soap Stones

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any further takers on the challenge? How are people coming along?

One of my goals is to get malachite, but I haven't gotten it yet. I might be able to get malachite chips though.... maybe.View attachment 36083 View attachment 36084
Any further takers on the challenge? How are people coming along?

One of my goals is to get malachite, but I haven't gotten it yet. I might be able to get malachite chips though.... maybe.View attachment 36083 View attachment 36084
I love those greens, that's beautiful

1. Misschief - I REALLY want to try this!
2. Primrose - Wow what a cool tutorial!
3. Dawni - I think I can finally have a go at a challenge
4. Hendejm - I am going to plan better this month!
5. Geniash - So excited to try this!
6. Meena - This challenge may be one that I'm actually capable of fulfilling as a still-new soaper, heh heh
7. zanzalawi- it is my destiny :p
8. dibbles - messing with my soap on purpose - this will be interesting
9. SaltedFig - Stone Soap Rocks
10. KiwiMoose - Oh alright then. I have an idea for this, but I can't promise I will receive my supplies I need to do it before the entries close. Keep yer fingers crossed for me that they arrive.
11. earlene - want to get back in the groove
12. MarnieSoapien - I think I can, I think I can.
13.Terri E -I love soapy rocks! :)))))))))
14. midnightsoaper - this is my 50th post :D
15. szaza - the stones are calling me!
16. SideDoorSoaps - I really wasn’t gonna but now I NEED to try something that I’ve been wanting to do for awhile
17. Jules92207 - good challenge to get back into the groove since I’ve been MIA a while [emoji4]
18. SYT- Thanks for the encouragement Newbie and Meena. Yes, I'm going to give it a shot!

Pssst... start posting everywhere. You're to have 50 posts and you're not there yet. But you could be. Hint: Visit the Word Association thread. ;)
Or the photo gallery lol I didn't need it anymore but I noticed all the threads have my face on them haha

I think you could still do the fissure technique without an accelerating FO. Just separate off the reserve batter and stick blend the main batter like crazy so it moves faster.

Hi everyone! Although I am far too new here and don't really have the supplies to attempt something like this, I was very taken by these rainbow obsidian images I came across and thought maybe they would inspire someone for this challenge :)

images
images
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/21-layers-of-mica-goodness.17088/ Just found this on another thread- supersoaper3000 already nailed it!

6. Meena - This challenge may be one that I'm actually capable of fulfilling as a still-new soaper, heh heh
10. Jstheidi- not sure I would qualify to enter, but I’d like to at least try it and add a picture of whatever I can come up with?

10. KiwiMoose - Oh alright then. I have an idea for this, but I can't promise I will receive my supplies I need to do it before the entries close. Keep yer fingers crossed for me that they arrive.
11. earlene - want to get back in the groove
12. MarnieSoapien - I think I can, I think I can.
13.Terri E -I love soapy rocks! :)))))))))
14. midnightsoaper - this is my 50th post :D
15. szaza - the stones are calling me!
16. SideDoorSoaps - I really wasn’t gonna but now I NEED to try something that I’ve been wanting to do for awhile
17. Jules92207 - good challenge to get back into the groove since I’ve been MIA a while
emoji4.png

@Jstheidi - You have been a member long enough, but you need to have 50 posts to get on the sign up list. You have time - just start posting. The word association and four letter games are a good place. You have until (I think) the 23rd to get enough posts to enter.

If you don't get 50 posts by the time the sign up closes, please give it a try and post a picture of your soaps here. We'd love to see what you make.

So first tries... (A rant and some pictures)
I've been wanting to play with transparant soap for a while, but since I don't have a crock pot I do HP in my (gas) oven.. not the best place to play with ethanol! So I pretty much gave up on ever making transparant soap.. until last weekend we were cleaning out the basement and found an electrical hotplate! :D so I immeriately tried to do a transparant soap au-bain-marie on the hotplate. What a mess! I tried the soapmaking 101 recipe (with stearic acid) and I think the temperatures weren't high enough because the soap didn't want to dissolve until I desparately tossed it in the microwave (but by then I'd already added too much extra solvents in an attempt to get it to dissolve) result.. very untransparant soap, nothing like the example in the YouTube video. I'll look for a different recipe and try again (something without stearic)
Here's a pic:
IMG_20190212_200047.jpg

Just a question I came across while experimenting.. what scent do you use for soap stones? I found it really hard to come up with a stone-y EO blend (since stones don't smell) and just went with something fresh. Now that I've been thinking about it some more I can come up with some puns, but not really good ones.. there's a Ginger beer called stoney and as a Dutch person I can think of a pun about some (horrible smelling) substance that's still illegal in a lot of places;) but can't really come up with something good. How dit you guys handle the smelling departement in this challenge? Leave it unscented? Take the color as scent inspiration? Just go with what you like?

So first tries... (A rant and some pictures)
I've been wanting to play with transparant soap for a while, but since I don't have a crock pot I do HP in my (gas) oven.. not the best place to play with ethanol! So I pretty much gave up on ever making transparant soap.. until last weekend we were cleaning out the basement and found an electrical hotplate! :D so I immeriately tried to do a transparant soap au-bain-marie on the hotplate. What a mess! I tried the soapmaking 101 recipe (with stearic acid) and I think the temperatures weren't high enough because the soap didn't want to dissolve until I desparately tossed it in the microwave (but by then I'd already added too much extra solvents in an attempt to get it to dissolve) result.. very untransparant soap, nothing like the example in the YouTube video. I'll look for a different recipe and try again (something without stearic)
Here's a pic:
View attachment 36280
They look like jewels! Nice.

Just a question I came across while experimenting.. what scent do you use for soap stones?

I'm taking a chance on a new FO that I thought would work in a soap stone. It's Green Moss and Ferns from The Soap Kitchen. I was thinking more about the fragrances of where I find stones that I like and if they fit with the color scheme I had in mind.

Latest posts

Back