Failed batch?? Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdtay

Reaction score
Moved by moderator from Introductions to CP Soap Forum because the question asked might be useful for the membership as a whole.

Hi; I am new to this forum and relatively new to soap-making, as well. I have enjoyed browsing the forum - some great, talented people, for sure but I am not able to find the information I was looking for. I am having an issue with my latest batch and was hoping someone might be able to advise.

4 days ago I made my 8th batch of soap, all previous batches are, of course, still curing but seem to have turned out great. Not what I am experiencing in this latest batch! I have included the recipe; Olive Oil = 48.75 Ounces (92% of total oils), Castor Oil = 4.25 Ounces (8% of total oils), Distilled Water = 20 ounces and lye = 186 grams. I infused the Olive Oil with chamomile prior to beginning the batch and followed the directions carefully without issue. Despite the fact that I opted not to insulate my wooden mold (to keep the bar from darkening), it seemingly went through the gel process. The recipe stated this bar could take "days" to harden due to the high olive oil content but to unmold as soon as possible. I was finally able to remove it from the mold today but I can see a gel-like appearance on one side and on the bottom of the loaf. That area feels quite spongy though the top and each end is quite firm. Does anyone have insight? Will this soap continue to firm up or is it time to throw in the towel and rebatch? Am I trying to rush this particular batch? Again, I am new to soap-making and am not able to find information on this particular dilemma. Thank you so much in advance for your help!!

A photo would be really helpful for troubleshooting.

I suspect that you might have gotten partial gel. The gelled parts would be firmer and the ungelled, softer.

Bastile (mostly but not all OO) generally takes a long time to firm up unless you do a steep water discount which doesn't seem to be the case here.

I'd wait a little longer. If, when you cut, you see pockets of liquid or some areas that are crumbly and crusty and others that are sort of spongy and oozing, then you might have had a separation problem. For now, I'd be patient. High OO soaps can require a week before cutting.

I agree that it does sound like partial gelling. Wood molds are great insulators and will cause soap to gel sometimes even when you put it in the fridge or freezer.

I'd just wait a few days and see how it looks then.

Latest posts

Back