What is happening?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie C

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I have been making cp soap with goat milk for about 10 months now. I have probably made 30 batches or so. I have been able to read the threads in this forum to answer several of my questions I have had over these months, but I think I really need someone to just look at my soap!

Recently I have noticed several of my bars with this white “dust-looking” stuff develop as it cures. It is not soda ash. My assumption is that it is just what happens when the milk evaporates during the curing process. I just don’t think it has happened to many of my batches in the past. Could this be from a change in weather?

Also, on the this particular bar I am seeing odd patches of off colored soap. Some of it sort of looks like a ring. This particular batch of soap is only about 7 weeks old and none of my oils are expired. What could this be?
I can’t figure out how load an image.

Thank you all so much!

White, dusty stuff developing during the cure sounds exactly like soda ash. ;) Is there a reason you believe it is not that?

The rings of colored soap sound like partial gel.

The good news is that both of these things are cosmetic only. But if you want to prevent them, we've got all kinds of threads here about that. :)

As someone who makes GMS, I agree with @AliOop.

FYI - The 'milk' does not evaporate, or rather, the fats, protein, carbs, minerals and vitamins do not...the water does.

And yes, the weather can affect your soap...humidity, temperature. How you feel when you are soaping can affect your soap. So can the color of your undies...never wear fire-engine red or hot pink. LOL

Latest posts

Back