Using EOCALC

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talc

Reaction score
New soap maker here. Hoping someone can answer....

When using eocalc is the recommended use per lbs of oils used or for the total amount of oils in the recipe.

Eg.

I'm making a 32 ounce batch of 100% tallow soap using Litsea EO. Eocalc says safe usage is .32 oz. So it that the total I can use for the whole batch or is that .32 oz/lbs ?

Thanks!

This from EO Calc, "Enter the amount of product you are making in ounces or grams. If you are making soap, only enter the amount of the oils in the formula. And then choose the product type to see an accurate usage rate for your product category according to IFRA Standards."

This from EO Calc, "Enter the amount of product you are making in ounces or grams. If you are making soap, only enter the amount of the oils in the formula. And then choose the product type to see an accurate usage rate for your product category according to IFRA Standards."
Yes but is the number eocalc gives for the whole recipe or per lbs of oil in the recipe?

I have always taken this to mean it is the rate for all of the oils in your recipe. Water/lye/additives are not factored in. So, in your example, if you are using 32 ounces of tallow and no other oils, I would use .32 ounces litsea.

I have always taken this to mean it is the rate for all of the oils in your recipe. Water/lye/additives are not factored in. So, in your example, if you are using 32 ounces of tallow and no other oils, I would use .32 ounces litsea.
Cheers! Thank you

1% is the usage rate based on the weight of the fats. It is easier for me to figure the amount of EO/FO based on the total weights of the fats. So if you are using 32 ounces of fats in your recipe, multiply 32 x 1% = .32 ounce.

Latest posts

Back