Extruders.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I bought my Walnut Hollow brand extruder I didn’t know there was a much higher price/quality bracket option. I thought it was between the Walnut Hollow and the Makin. I chose the WH because it had the extender tip that allowed for larger discs. Later I found out the Makin has an option attachment that allows you to use a cordless drill. Handcranking the extruder was a royal PIA! Given the choices between motor powered, vs larger discs, I’m not even sure which one I’d chose now.
BUT! I loved extruding soap dough for loaves of CP! And, I hence found the next tier of fancy schmancy polymer clay extruders.
The Lucy Stainless Steel Czextruder SET
And
The ACE Hobby Extruders
Lucy, has a table mount with an attachment that connects to your cordless drill, but it’s a smaller capacity.
The ACE has a very different manual style powered plunger, but the motorized one is $450!!!! (Not for me) Maybe the manual plunger is easier to use. I love the capacity of the 2”, which also fits a 1”.
A problem with the WH was I couldn’t make one length that would fit my whole loaf without piecing them together. So both of these would remedy that, I think.
They both have a lot of disc options, but they don’t seem to be interchangeable. Could I have custom ones made?!
Has anyone used either? Anyone else in the market? Thoughts? Prayers?😆

I bought a clay extruder with disks for $10.00 from Amazon 2 years ago, to use for soap dough. I have actually never used it, though. We didn't use it when my granddaughter & I made the Yellow Submarine. It was really easy to hand roll the soap dough, and we didn't have to clean the extruder afterward. The one I bought is the plunger style.

That is my experience with extruders!

At least a couple soapers here also do clay work, and may have experience with them.

I own and have used the lucy czextruder one for soap dough. It is quite nice and they have tons of shapes on those discs. You could have someone waterjet some out for you. Or, depending on your skill/equipment, you could make your own discs. You should have plenty of length assuming your loaf length is a reasonable size.

I own and have used the lucy czextruder one for soap dough. It is quite nice and they have tons of shapes on those discs. You could have someone waterjet some out for you. Or, depending on your skill/equipment, you could make your own discs. You should have plenty of length assuming your loaf length is a reasonable size.
Do you know if the Walnut Hollow extender attachment fits the Lucy? The extender attachment allows for larger discs like the ones I Dream In Soap makes.

Back