Experiment (most probably failed)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atiz

Reaction score
Haven't been here for a while, except for the occasional lurking... but have been making soap (some, not much), and quite a bit of syndets for personal use.

So here's some background to this experiment, which I'm sure many others have tried but I didn't find much info on it.
1) I really like cleansing conditioners. That's what I usually use (the home-made kind, mostly adopted from one of Marie's recipes at Hbnm). My hair is dry and quite fine; I don't need a lot of surfactants, but I also don't particularly like oily residue on my hair.
2) I also really like all kinds of shampoo bars and solid conditioner bars -- good for travel, etc.
3) I like having to use 1 thing instead of 2, and prefer that not to come from a bottle.

So, I was trying to make a solid cleansing conditioner bar, or at least, a 2-in-1 kind of thing. I did that by basically having a solid conditioner recipe unchanged, and adding about half of the amount of surfactants of what I would have in a similar size shampoo bar.
(So, I had: 60g BTMS; 15g butters/oils; 11g cetyl alcohol; 13g cool-down additives (so far this, + preservative adds up to 100); 12.5g SCS; 15g SCI; 10g coco betaine.)
I heated the "conditioner" ingredients and the surfactants separately, until everything melted. Then mixed them together.

The result: meh, although not sure yet.
After mixing, while waiting for it to cool down to add the cool down ingredients, the whole thing started to become extremely sticky. By the time I added the preservative, it was most like a bubble-gum. I forced it into the mold somehow, and froze it as usual. Now it's been out of the mold for a day, but it is still very sticky and I don't have high hopes for that going away. Anyway, will wait with it for a week or so and will see.

All the ingredients were ones I have used before, although not in this mixed kind of way. Maybe the BTMS or the oils don't do well with the surfactants here? (The originating idea was that basically the same thing is done in a traditional cleansing conditioner, except there everything is creamy so maybe the stickiness doesn't matter as much?)

If anyone has tried this before: is there any hope of this being useable eventually? Any other experience with solid cleansing conditioner bars? Is that possible at all?

My other idea was to make a "layered" shampoo/conditioner bar -- one side shampoo, other side conditioner. I wasn't sure though whether that would stay together. Has anyone tried? Maybe that will be my next experiment if this really failed.

IMG_5253.jpg

While I've not tried to do exactly that, I do know that sometimes my syndet shampoo bars are sticky for a few days afterwards. But I don't freeze/refrigerate - I just let them dry naturally.
Thanks!
I'm not sure why I freeze them; I think at first I was very impatient to get it out of the mold, and now I'm just used to it. Will wait a few days and will see, maybe there's still hope :)

So, I don't have my formula book in front of me, but did you take a shampoo bar recipe & decrease the cleansing/increase the BTMS & oils? It should work, I would think, as long as you have enough butters. You need those solids to keep the bar together.
My shampoo bars are generally pretty sticky for a week or two after unmolding. I know they don't usually need to "cure" but mine always harden-up if I don't use them right away.
Keep us updated. :)

So, I don't have my formula book in front of me, but did you take a shampoo bar recipe & decrease the cleansing/increase the BTMS & oils? It should work, I would think, as long as you have enough butters. You need those solids to keep the bar together.
My shampoo bars are generally pretty sticky for a week or two after unmolding. I know they don't usually need to "cure" but mine always harden-up if I don't use them right away.
Keep us updated. :)
Yes, although I was looking at it the other way -- I took a conditioner bar recipe and added a bit of surfactant blend that I would normally use in a shampoo bar. There's a lot of hard butters in it (kokum butter, cocoa butter, and just a little bit of orange wax). I've used this mix before in a conditioner bar and it was very hard.
I may be just totally impatient.... will update!

This has been a while ago, but if anyone finds it in a search I just wanted to update the "experiment".

The original one did not really work; it stopped being sticky and was a nice(-ish) conditioner bar, but didn't have enough surfactants in it and didn't make my hair feel any cleaner.

What did work (and I'll try a bit even more surfactant next time) is about a 1:1 ratio of BTMS-50:surfactants (mix of SCS, SCI, and CBetaine). I also upped the cetyl alcohol a bit compared to the original recipe, to make the bar harder.
Mixing was still tricky, but with constant hand whisk it became a quite uniform paste till it was cool enough to add the preservative.
The end result is a hard bar, not mushy. It has a very low, creamy lather, but it feels nice on the hair and my skin also loves it.

Latest posts

Back