Cleansing Balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while ago I tried a sample of facial cleansing balm that I’d received and fell in love. I’ve been oil cleansing for several years but as of late, it hasn’t really been working for me. I’ve mentioned in other areas that my current job requires a lot of travel (I’m currently on night #10 in the same hotel room) so a solid cleanser works better than an oil in that regard, too.

I found this cleansing balm from HB&M that has a touch of kaolin clay for a little exfoliating action. I love it! As with most recipes I come across I don’t have all the ingredients, so I adjusted a tad bit. If you’re looking for a cleansing balm, give this one a try. I just love the feel of it going from a solid to an oil as I massage it into my skin - it feels kind of luxurious!

Original recipe: https://www.humblebeeandme.com/soothing-cleansing-balm/

1707972226827.png

Cleansing balms are so underrated! Packing a semi- solid cleanser that doesn't need to take up precious space with the liquids and gels is genius.

I add French green clay to mine just because i have no other use for it. I think this is the recipe I originally used but I looked up my notes and it just says "Bad recipe, no cleanse, only oil. Had to add Olivem". 😅 so i guess I've just been using a never-ending jar of this "bad" recipe for months now and loving it. I think I'm going to bookmark yours for the future.

The other day I was at Ulta and they had a sampler of this Clinique cleansing balm; it was so creamy i almost got seduced into trying it for a change... and then i saw the price and laughed all the way back to my crafting table.

I'm thinking experimenting with some cera bellina next time i make this, I've read that you can make an oily gel with it. Maybe it could get me closer to the creamier texture i liked so much. This one from HBM also looks interesting and similar to the Clinique one, although it doesn't look very travel-friendly and uses a bunch of ingredients i don't have https://www.humblebeeandme.com/cream-silk-cleansing-balm/

The recipe you have is a lot like the modifications to the recipe I used! LOL

This is the sample I got in a Sephora order - I liked it, and like a good DIY-er, I thought, “I bet I can make this for less than I could buy it!” Plus, it meant I got to make stuff. My eventual ingredient list looked nothing like the Farmacy brand, but I actually like mine better.

The cream-silk one I don’t think I’d like as well as something more solid. I agree on the less-travel-friendly aspect and using stuff I don’t have.

DIY Bath & Body has a recipe for a cleansing balm; I love it and it's easy to make. And the Instant Facial recipes included in the booklet are awesome; I made them for my Christmas markets and sold out.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/632029618/diy-meltaway-cleansing-balm-includes-4?click_key=dbcfa4ef6cb166d3b747290a73f3721586e8be26:632029618&click_sum=4a55af37&ref=shop_home_recs_16&crt=1
I just wish the recipes were more affordable, most are $17.56 and some $21aud, then the cost of buying what you need to make them on top puts them in the too expensive list. Only if your selling would you recoup some costs. I bought one when they were half price, then it was going to cost $45 plus to buy supplies to make it, it was only for me, so still haven't made it.

I just wish the recipes were more affordable, most are $17.56 and some $21aud, then the cost of buying what you need to make them on top puts them in the too expensive list. Only if your selling would you recoup some costs. I bought one when they were half price, then it was going to cost $45 plus to buy supplies to make it, it was only for me, so still haven't made it.
It does sound like this guide is geared to folks who sell and the label appeal of more expensive ingredients like rosehip oil. I personally think it's kind of wasteful to use these in a wash-off product when you can use other oils like FCO with the same cleansing effectiveness.

DIY Bath & Body has a recipe for a cleansing balm; I love it and it's easy to make. And the Instant Facial recipes included in the booklet are awesome; I made them for my Christmas markets and sold out.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/632029618/diy-meltaway-cleansing-balm-includes-4?click_key=dbcfa4ef6cb166d3b747290a73f3721586e8be26:632029618&click_sum=4a55af37&ref=shop_home_recs_16&crt=1
I bought the recipe yesterday, along with a couple others (I mean, it was 20% off if I bought three, so…)

Latest posts

Back