Evil Cloudy Sticky Glycerine Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fragola

Reaction score
Can't figure out what happens. I used what I believe to be the standard recipe, except that my soft oil was peanut oil.

It's my third try on glycerine and each time it boasts new and evil features.

Cloudy -
The soap was crystal clear while pouring it as it was 1 week later. But there's a cloudy layer progressing from any surface which is in contact with air towards the middle of the soap. Which eventually takes over the whole bar.

Sticky soft -
Since it sticks to the silicone mold, unmolding creates a hairy surface (which I try to polish with alcohol).

After 3 weeks, what's inside the mold is still somewhat soft. If I remove a piece from the mold, it starts to harden quickly, but it doesn't get much harder than jelly bears.

Putting it in the freezer didn't help last week, I guess I'll try this again.

This was planned for inserts, but I fear it will turn to jelly during usage.

Thanks for the patience !

If you post your recipe and procedures it would be easier to help resolve the situation.

This is the recipe which I tried to follow:

http://sodium-hydroxide.com/transparent ... guidelines
50% olive oil, 31% coconut oil, 15% castor oil, 3.5% stearic acid, 1% discount lye and 97% alcohol at 35% of the amount of oils. Glycerin can be added at 15% and sugar at 28% of the amount of oils.

Only 2 changes:
- replaced olive with peanut oil
- replaced most of the castor with peanut oil

Of course, I ran it through a lye calculator.

I read somewhere an article that Unilever used to make peanut transparent soap so I guessed it would be good enough for me.

Latest posts

Back