Dr. Bronners lotion...emulsifier?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner

Reaction score
I was just looking at a bottle of Dr. Bronner's organic lotion my daughter got for Christmas and other than water, oil, essential oils and grain alcahol (preservative) the only ingredient was xanthan gum; does that work as an emulsifier? I haven't heard of anyone using that in homemade lotions before?

Xantham gum is often used to add thickness and a gel-like texture to hair products and lotions. I have seen it used as a co-emulsifier, but not as the sole emulsifier. This sounds like an incomplete ingredients list. And the amount of alcohol that would have to be used to act as a preservative (I believe 30% or higher) is so drying to the skin - yikes! Throw it away and make yourself something nice! :)

Is that legal to only list some of your ingredients?
I thought that seemed a little odd....and, yes, I do like my own stuff better!

no, it's not legal - but the penalties & fines are relatively low so in the economic equation I guess it works out for some to break the law...

this said, dr bronners is one of the companies really pushing for the gov't to hold companies accountable for improper labeling, so it doesn't make sense to me that they'd do that.

Aqua, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Organic Ethanol, Organic Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Organic Quillaja Saponaria Extract, Xanthan Gum, Tocopherol, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil – (* Certified Fair Trade by IMO)

aaag " Quillaja Saponaria" which is "soap bark" probably acts as the emulsifier. it may also add an antimicrobial benefit.

Latest posts

Back