Cream/ lotion base help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlicesInspiration

Reaction score
I have made skincare products for a while, but I've never found myself in a situation where I'd possibly need to formulate for myself.

I need to make my dad a pain relief cream for his birthday, but all the formulas online seem pretty basic, as in, its just butters and EOs. I made an EO blend and which I added to a bit of my leftover Arnica Oil I had, which I am hoping to encorporate into a cream/ lotion.

The best formula I found online was this: Soothing for Sore Muscles & Joint Cream

But they use water and oil with no emulsifier or thickener and no preservative. I figured I could use it as a base formula and figure out the rest.

Using these ratios I found online for Barrier Cream:

Water 60%
Humectant 3%
Liquid Oil 15%
Solid Oil 5%
Wax 5%
Thickener 3%
Emulsifier 7%

I figured I could create my own base cream and then incorporate the other pain relieving ingredients (my EO blend, cayenne pepper maybe? Arnica tablets if I could figure out how to make Oil from them) but even still, I am completely confused as to how to create a formula based on this.

I'm thinking of using the following ingredients in my cream/ lotion thing, but I'm still not sure if these are the best or not:

Mango butter
Coconut oil
Avocado oil
Jojoba oil maybe?
Vitamin E
Glycerine perhaps?
Beeswax
Glyceryl Sterate & PEG 100
Either steric acid or cetyl alcohol
Maybe xantham gum if needed but I'm not sure?
My EO/ Arnica Oil blend
Ideally I would add menthol but I sadly don't have that, so no menthol
Preservative

Can someone please help me make this into a formula that could work? Or maybe give me ideas for possible substitutions or anything?

I'm new to formulating but like I said before, I have made certian cosmetic/ skincare products before, but everytime I have just copied someone elses formula, but never on my own.

Thanks

You might try searching for pain cream products to see what extra ingredients these contain, such as hemp oil. You can then do a search for the ingredients you wish to include in your product to find the maximum usage rate. I use a product called Hemp Soothing Lavender Jelly.
Ingredients listed are: aloe barbadensis (organic aloe) leaf juice, lavandula angustifolia (organic lavender) distillate, phenoxyethanol, hamamelis Virginian a (witch hazel) water, glycerin, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) essential oil, peppermint (supreme) essential oil, organic hemp oil, carbomer, alcohol, triethanolamine (tea), tetra sodium EDTA, (may contain sodium bicarbonate and/or citric acid as ph. adjusters).

Back