DIY Wire Cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
lh52AJa.jpg

We've talked about this before but I never got around to posting a pic.

This is a hacksaw I bought at Harbor Freight for about $10 and a guitar string. Discard the blade and replace with the guitar string. It's one of the higher strings that are not wound, but solid wire. I got it for free from a local guitar store by explaining what I needed. The hacksaw 's tightening mechanism is used to snug the wire. It works beautifully with a basic mitre box.

Last edited:
The photo isn't showing up for me. Sounds like an ingenious and affordable option!

For the less music minded folks out there, from what I gather, what you is an electric guitar steel high E string (not banjo or god forbid, bass). Some strings are bronze, nickel, chrome or coated and I'm not sure they would work as good. Basically, you want the cheapest strings made for an electric guitar.

You used to be able to buy singles at any guitar store for a dollar or get a freebie.

BrewerGeorge, if you got a used string, be wary that it can snap depending on how tight it is. Old guitar strings get oxidized from all the sweat, grime and wear and tear, and they can lose their resistance to tension.

For the less music minded folks out there, from what I gather, what you is an electric guitar steel high E string (not banjo or god forbid, bass). Some strings are bronze, nickel, chrome or coated and I'm not sure they would work as good. Basically, you want the cheapest strings made for an electric guitar.

You used to be able to buy singles at any guitar store for a dollar or get a freebie.

BrewerGeorge, if you got a used string, be wary that it can snap depending on how tight it is. Old guitar strings get oxidized from all the sweat, grime and wear and tear, and they can lose their resistance to tension.

It was not used, but rolled up nice and pretty. It's not altogether that tight, either - doesn't need to be. I can't pluck it and make a sound, for instance, but it's still tight enough to cut the soap.

Latest posts

Back