Parts for a soap cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeepItSimpleSoap

Reaction score
I recently made my first block of soap and I knew that I would have to cut it soon and somehow. I used an old knife from the kitchen (retired) and I didn't cut it well as I would have liked. I'd been thinking about the parts to a soap cutter, what I might have and what I might need. I knew that I would need a tuning peg off of an old guitar and the type of wire that would hold up to cutting. Soap cutters and guitars have the same type of wire. Here is a picture of the tuning pegs.
guitar1.jpg

The B string on here may not be quite heavy enough. I will find out when I do my first cut of soap. I can go to Dad's old woodshop and pick out some nice wood scraps to build a one wire cutter and I will be making it lefthanded too.
guitar2.jpg

Here is a pic of the poor old guitar. I'm not a guitarist but I do know one should stomp on their guitar the throw it in the shed to get wet.
More later on the soap cutter .

Last edited:
Never thought about repurposing a old guitar. Makes me wonder if mom still has the one I left out in the rain years ago.

I believe most people use the G string for cutters.

Yup there are a bunch of threads on making a wire cutter on here.
They will say what gauge string to use, I don't remember

Back