DIY wire cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cascarral

Reaction score
Hello!

I made a multi wire cutter with some guitar strings and as soon as I tried them a bunch of them popped. Maybe I'm not using the right kind?

Saw on youtube someone using galvanized wire which is way cheaper but I'm not sure if this is OK for cold process soap... has someone here tried it?

Someone also suggested jewelry wire..

For all DIYers out there... What do you use? If it's guitar strings, which note would you recommend?

I need something easy to get since I'm in Mexico and it's such a pain to import soap stuff from the US, specially now.

I bought a used slab mold with a grid cutter (uses the same wires as the hinge-type of multi-cutter). The person who sold it to me recommended .022 gauge steel guitar strings (which happens to be the G-string).

However, the strings broke constantly, even with very soft soap. When I contacted the mold maker, she recommended ordering their steel strings - same gauge, but made for non-musical purposes. Although more expensive to purchase initially, the overall cost is actually less because they rarely break. And I no longer want to throw the cutter across the room. 😁

Here is the link to the site where I ordered them: Replacement Strings

I bought a used slab mold with a grid cutter (uses the same wires as the hinge-type of multi-cutter). The person who sold it to me recommended .022 gauge steel guitar strings (which happens to be the G-string).

However, the strings broke constantly, even with very soft soap. When I contacted the mold maker, she recommended ordering their steel strings - same gauge, but made for non-musical purposes. Although more expensive to purchase initially, the overall cost is actually less because they rarely break. And I no longer want to throw the cutter across the room. 😁

Cool! Thank you so much for this info!! I cannot imagine the rest of my life changing wires every 2 minutes.

Are these steel strings covered with something? Or just pure steel?

Do you think a 22 gauge galvanized wire could work?

I am pretty sure that the galvanized isn’t lye safe. If you search the forum for “galvanized” you may see some threads about that.
Thanks for the warning 😅

I use stainless steel wire. I had bought it for jewelry making and found out it works for cutting soap too.
More details here:
https://soapsbyglenda.wordpress.com/2020/10/01/making-a-slab-soap-cutter/

thanks so much, this is super helpful!! I’ll order some. Do you Know if you use 22 or 24 gauge?

McMaster-Carr This is what my husband used with my multi cutter. The only time I pop a wire is when my soap is very hard and I usually know before hand I am going to do it. The small roll has last for over 10 yrs on a 16 wire cutter. I am not sure if McMaster Carr is in Mexico but you might be able to order from them or find it somewhere else.
Spring-Back Multipurpose 304 Stainless Steel Wire 0.031 size

McMaster-Carr This is what my husband used with my multi cutter. The only time I pop a wire is when my soap is very hard and I usually know before hand I am going to do it. The small roll has last for over 10 yrs on a 16 wire cutter. I am not sure if McMaster Carr is in Mexico but you might be able to order from them or find it somewhere else.
WOW! Thank you so much, this makes my life so much easier! I'll try to get it and if not order it from the us. Thanks again!

I use G strings on my cutter (oh boy that sounds funny, please don't censor me). The only time I have a problem is when I've strung them wrong - I seem to err on either too tight or too loose. My husband seems to have the "just right" knack as the wires he strings for me never break. Occasionally the soap is just too dang hard so I've learned to quit while I'm ahead.

Thanks for the warning 😅

thanks so much, this is super helpful!! I’ll order some. Do you Know if you use 22 or 24 gauge?

I actually used something thicker, and it makes it difficult to change (you need two pliers). I used 20 gauge, and I would try the 22 next time instead. I used it to replace the wire of my single wire cutter and it worked too, but 26 was too thin to stay wrapped.

This Is the video where I replaced the wire in the single wire soap cutter btw, in case you need ideas of the mechanism to hold the wire in the cutter, as it is slightly different :

cmzaha, do you find you can wind the 0.031 dia wire relatively easily by hand, or do you need pliers? I'd like to decrease my cutter string size, I currently use 0.036 diameter wire, so I can stop wrenching the guitar tuners with pliers.

Latest posts

Back