Eureka! Alternative to metal wire in soap cutters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere in another thread I posted the wire I use in my multi cutter. The spool was quite cheap from McMaster Carr has lasted around 10 yrs. I think I have broken a wire less than half a dozen times and each time it was my fault cutting a soap I knew was going to pop a wire.

I just added some 20lb fluorocarbon fishing line to my Amazon soap making Wishlist (along with a new stick blender...:p)! I'm thinking about making a new multi-bar cutter anyways! Wanna try out 1 1/2inch bars instead of 1 inch. So it will be a nice experiment!

Give it a try! My cutter has multiple settings. I use a slab mold, so I set it first to 3", then 1". It is always when I change the setting that the wire would break and winding and unwinding the wire around the key adds risk each time.

Good to know. So far, I'm on my fifth batch using the finishing lure, and that means that I have adjusted the line ten times (once to adjust it to 3" and once to adjust it to 1"). I've discovered that I do not have to tighten it extremely taut. So far, so good. I have a few spools of .0185 diameter fishing lure, which was not at all expensive.
These are the ones I use (recommended by Bud for his cutters). Rogue P22 Bulk 12 Pack 022 Plain Steel Electric Guitar Strings. They are only a couple dollars a dozen!

Back