Purpose of a wire cutter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinata

Reaction score
I usually make my soaps in small batches of 1000 grams or so. I have a lot of individual cavity molds but I also have a loaf mold. When I cut the loaf, I have a straight and curly blade that came with the mold.
Sometimes I don't make the perfect cut on one side is slightly thicker than the other, but now that I am more mindful that is minimized and if I have an ugly bar in the batch its for me of my husband anyways.

However, my question is, what is the purpose of the thread cutter? Is it purely to get that symmetrical cut or does it minimize drag or maybe has a more clear face of the bar once cut? Or there really isn't
a significant difference? I am not referring to the $300 one.... but if I got a more economic thread cutter priced around $20 would it be of any benefit to me? Or the other reason I was thinking the purpose is maybe for conviennce since professionals make these gigantor batches of soap so to process it all with the wire is quicker? But that doesn't apply to me since I make small batches and enjoy the labor or cutting with a blade. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You can use a cheese cutter. The wire cutters give a more uniform cut. I hated using other methods as they were never even and if not timed perfectly they would smear and be unsightly. I wouldn't trade my wire cutters for anything. I have a single cutter and a multi bar cutter. I do sell so make a ton of soap and it makes life easier.

I don't have one... and don't miss it (not to say that they're not useful; probably if I had one, I would like it).

A miter box can be really useful for making straight cuts. You can also make one easily and for me it made a ton of difference.

Agree to atiz, a mitre box would be more helpful than a wire cutter if you want straight, even slices.
Unless you are referring to those multi-cutters which can cut mutiples bars at a time, I use wire cutter because my soaps tend to be on the soft side so a wire cutter can reduce drag marks.
On a wackier idea, I dab in ceramic and had actually used one of those wire cutters for ceramic that you twirl around your fingers to cut my first batch. I didn't have a proper cutter yet and it actually somehow worked.

Wire cutters are used for production speed and uniformity. When making hundreds of bars a day/week, it's much easier to cut with a wire cutter (even a single wire cutter) and much faster. You get straight cuts with the exact same sized cut each time -
Even using a miter box with straight cutters, because there is wiggle room within the slot, I would still get crooked and uneven cuts. You don't get that with a wire cutter.

I started with a knife, then a clever, then moved to a cheese slicer, then modified it (added a flattened dowl along the long edge). As long as I took my time, I got 9 out of 10 perfect bars for sale. A few months back, I picked up a gently used original Bud's Single-Bar and man is it nice; I get 10 out of 10 bars now.

If I was only making soap as a hobby, I would have stayed with the cheese slicer.

So I’m hearing that it can help with drag marks but not really...? Generally when is the ideal time to cut soap? Sooner rather than later once you get it out the mold (and it isn’t sticky) or if you delay so it gets harder then this will help the apearance of the face of the soap?

Because maybe my issue isn’t the tool used to cut by the time? Often times the Blade of my knife gets a layer of residue with each cut is that a sign that my soap is a tad sticky and I should wait longer or this is natural?

So I’m hearing that it can help with drag marks but not really...? Generally when is the ideal time to cut soap? Sooner rather than later once you get it out the mold (and it isn’t sticky) or if you delay so it gets harder then this will help the apearance of the face of the soap?
Drag marks are generally caused by additives in the soap, not the cutter itself. Wire bumps (which can look a little like stearic spots) can be caused by cutting too soon.
Generally speaking, I cut as soon as I take my soaps out of the mold, however, I don't take my soaps out of the mold until around the 24 hour mark, and my recipe tends to make a hard bar, plus I add sodium lactate to help firm the loaf up to be able to unmold and cut sooner than I would if it weren't in there (plus I like the way it makes the soap feel when using).
You want the soap to be hard enough that if you gently push it, it will not cause an indent and isn't sticky. I don't know how else to describe it.

I still use a miter box and a wire cutter. The wire cutter goes through the soap easier, and the miter box keeps my cuts straight. I use a thin piece of wood on the inside of my miter box to keep the loaf going straight. I will probably change that out to a plastic slab of some sort in the future as it can cause marks on the side of the loaf if I use my silicon mold that slightly bows out in the center.

I ordered something from Etsy 2 weeks ago and it’s still in the pre-shipping phase. Contacted the seller and didn’t hear back. Good prices but takes forever to ship ... as in weeks lol

My rule of thumb about when to cut is related to cheese --

Cream cheese (real soft) to American cheese (kinda soft) -- Makes a dent when gently pressed with a fingertip. When cut with a knife, a thick layer of soap will remain on the knife, or the knife will stick badly to the cut surfaces. When cut with a wire, the surface of the soap will be very irregular and almost "torn" looking. Too soft to cut.
Mild to medium cheddar cheese (firm) -- Gently yields to a moderately firm press from a fingertip, but the soap won't show a visible dent. Just right to cut.
Parmesan (hard) -- Does not yield at all when pressed hard with a fingertip. Too hard to cut without a lot of pressure. May be brittle enough to shatter, especially if cut with a knife.

I splurged on a multi bar cutter and what a difference. I was using a cheese cutter before that. I still use the cheese cutter on occasion but, the multi bar was worth every penny.

I have the miter box and cutter for MP but I rarely get 100% even bars.

And a miter box is what caused me to spend the money on a reliable cutter. It was horrible. I tried several even one made for soapmakers. You couldn't pay me to use a miter box. EVER again!
I agree. I absolutely LOVE my multi wire cutter. It is my best investment ever. So easy, so reliable, such even, perfectly equal soaps. Just a lovely joy to use.

Latest posts

Back