difference between crisco and 27% hydrog soybean oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartsong

Reaction score
i feel like a "stupid-head" but what is the difference? soap calc has it listed separately from crisco and the soaping characteristics are quite different. PLEASE dont tell me it's just generic shortening!

if it's different, where do i get it? soapers choice has shortening-with or without sterines. is that it?

Crisco contains;

Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Mono-and Diglycerides.

I buy the 27.5% hydrogenated in a 50 pound box of Bakers & Chefs brand at Sams Club for about $45.00. I really like using it. I made a new recipe just this morning with it. It is much harder than Crisco or other less expensive solid shortenings you buy at the store.

Paul

Sorry to hijack....

But is there a difference in the finished soap using hydrogenated and non-hydrogenated soybean oil? Is the hydrogenated version less prone to DOS?
I haven't get the hydrogenated version because 50lb is a lot and I'm
scared about not liking it.... :oops:
Thanks....

There is a big difference between soybean oil and soybean hydrogenated shortening. Take a look at www.soapcalc.com and see their different values. The hydrogenation process changes the fatty acid profile of the oil quite a bit. I use the soybean oil as a conditioner along with the hydrogenated soybean.

I cut this from;http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/PartiallyHydrogenatedOils.html

What is Hydrogenation?

Hydrogenation is the process of heating an oil and passing hydrogen bubbles through it. The fatty acids in the oil then acquire some of the hydrogen, which makes it more dense. If you fully hydrogenate, you create a solid (a fat) out of the oil. But if you stop part way, you a semi-solid partially hydrogenated oil that has a consistency like butter, only it's a lot cheaper.

Paul

Thank you so much for the info Paul.
I did not realize that once hydrogenated, an oil can behave like a whole different animal. That's really interesting. I'm all curious now... I have to go get me some of that good stuff :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back