Dehydrated goat milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camine

Reaction score
Hi ya’all...newbie here. Has anyone dehydrated goat milk before? Is oily residue normal?

Last edited:
How are you mixing it in? I use dried goat milk directly into my oils, not mixed with water, and it's been working pretty well for me. Just stick blend the amount of dried goats milk (based on the water in your recipe) into the oils before you add the lye water.

No oily residue.

I am asking about the dehydrating process of the milk, before it is mixed with soap. I typically just use frozen goat milk but I wanted to try something different. When I dehydrate my goat milk, there is an oily residue and I am not sure if this is normal.

Hi ya’all...newbie here. Has anyone dehydrated goat milk before? Is oily residue normal?
I don't make my own dehydrated dairy products but I do use them in my soap--no having to freeze them into ice cubes. When I first started using dairy products in my soap I did freeze them but then thought I'd see how dehydrated products worked--love it because then I can use other liquids like ACV, beer, etc.

I did Google dehydrating goat milk to see if I could find anything relating to your issue and here's a link: http://perkypreppinggramma.blogspot.com/2013/02/dehyrating-milk.html

I read through some of the questions/answers to see if anyone asked what you asked. You might find what you're asking about by reading more.
upload_2019-11-2_21-48-37.png

I clicked on her link to take me to the 'how to' for long storage and there were photos of her steps and it appears to be a photo where there might be some oily areas of the dried milk.....or at least it looks like it to me. Here's the photo I'm referring to and the link to the 'how to' as well: http://perkypreppinggramma.blogspot.com/2015/05/how-to-dehydrate-milk-for-long-term.html

upload_2019-11-2_21-57-29.png

Wow...thanks Michele50. So I guess the oily part is normal. Now I need to know what that oily stuff consists of.

Wow...thanks Michele50. So I guess the oily part is normal. Now I need to know what that oily stuff consists of.
You are quite welcome.
My guess was milk fats but had no clue as to which ones. I lower my super fat # a bit when I included powdered GM in my soap to account the fats, otherwise it’ll be higher than what I intend.

(LOL) I Google everything.....so I did:D Hope this helps:

D9D94C80-CDB3-4E81-9A96-05FD0D64FE3F.png

It isn't cost effective . In the long run it is cheaper to buy powdered
If you have your own goats I would suggest buying a Freezer Chest.

I would worry about it being rancid if left to sit too long.

I use powdered milk with canned or refrigerated milk. I never freeze my milk. I use water to dissolve the lye then combine powdered with the liquid milk and add those to my oils, then add my cooled lye mixture. Time and cost would make trying to dehydrate my own a big no.

Back