cutting non-gelled soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizflowers42

Reaction score
So I am getting more adventurous with my soaps. This weekend was the the hubs and I's 6th wedding anniversary which is the "sugar" anniversary. So we decided to make a soap with a natural sweetener--some local molasses! Knowing from other experience it is best to non-gel sugar soaps, I froze my soap immediately after pouring. I let is stay in the freezer overnight, then moved it into the fridge yesterday. This morning I took it out of the fridge and I am allowing it to sit out at room temp. I assumed 2 days would be long enough to prevent gel-I might be horrible mistaken later.

Long story short, here's my question. I have cut my non-gelled soaps too soon and have gotten a crumbly mess. How many days should I allow it to sit at room temperature before cutting? (I did 2 pencil lines, which I am uber-excited about seeing!!)

It took several days for my non-gelled soap (which turned out with a big gel spot in the middle, but that's beside the point I guess...Lol!) to be ready to cut. It wasn't a crumbly issue though. It was just so soft!

I've never had a crumbly problem with non-gels, either- just so soft! I finally cut a loaf this morning that I made 6 days ago. It was still a bit soft, but I was able to smooth out the rough spots with my finger.

Well, I guess I mean crumbly in the texture of a semi-soft cheese of sorts. I will hold off until this weekend to take it out of the mold and cut. Good thing I have plenty of stuff to do that I can put it out of sight, out of mind!

I have found that if I cut too early, the bottom edge will tear away, but it is only because the soap is so soft, not that it is actually crumbly. If I exercise patience and wait around a week, then it is much, much better.

That patience thing is tough! I haven't ever had a cheese crumbliness either. For some reason, even my non-gelled soaps are ready to cut earlier than other people report. I don't know what I'm doing differently to achieve this. Today I'm making a goat's milk, honey, and oatmeal soap. I'll let you know if I manage to see your results.

That patience thing is tough! I haven't ever had a cheese crumbliness either. For some reason, even my non-gelled soaps are ready to cut earlier than other people report. I don't know what I'm doing differently to achieve this. Today I'm making a goat's milk, honey, and oatmeal soap. I'll let you know if I manage to see your results.

I wonder if it has to do with water discounts.

I had crumbly issues when I put mine in the freezer and didn't wait long enough to cut it. Do you think that could be the issue with yours? I would leave it for at least 24 hours. 48 to be even better. When mine had finally "thawed" it turned soft, very soft, it was only as hard as it was cause it was frozen. So then I needed to wait for it to firm up as well (I ended up cutting it anyway though). So it all just depends. Mine thawed after 24 hours. But I was impatient and cut it while it was too soft, but I think after 48 hours it would have been okay.

I had crumbly issues when I put mine in the freezer and didn't wait long enough to cut it. Do you think that could be the issue with yours? I would leave it for at least 24 hours. 48 to be even better. When mine had finally "thawed" it turned soft, very soft, it was only as hard as it was cause it was frozen. So then I needed to wait for it to firm up as well (I ended up cutting it anyway though). So it all just depends. Mine thawed after 24 hours. But I was impatient and cut it while it was too soft, but I think after 48 hours it would have been okay.

Good point! I leave my milk and beer soaps in the fridge for 48 hours, since sometimes they were ok after 24, but other times i'd end up with partial gel. Then I leave them another 24 to warm up when I take them out.

I also freeze/refrigerate beer/milk soaps for 48 hours, then leave them out for another 24 to warm up. You will definitely get crumbling if you cut them when they're too cold. I will say it took MONTHS of learning to be patient enough to leave them for that long before cutting, but it is definitely better than cutting too soon.

I unmolded it last night, but I am continuing to let it sit out at room temp now until the weekend before cutting, that way it's had a full week to firm up! Noticed ash for the first time on the top, I'll most likely run it under water once I cut them, I like how it makes my soap really glossy when they have had a simple rinse.

Latest posts

Back