Cut soap pics.UGLY! Shield your eyes from this!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfsnaps

Reaction score
Ok, so its my first attempt. 45% lard, 20% coconut oil, 35% olive oil

And its butt ugly and looks like cheese or a sponge.

The entire outer layer has air bubbles. The inside doesn't. So weird. I tapped it quite a bit, then covered in plastic wrap and a few towels. So what happened? Any suggestions on preventing this? I don't have alcohol ON me right now. I am going to make another batch now with colors and probably end up with more ugly soap but I don't care. LOL I WILL PERFECT THIS!

Looks like sweat spots.. Did it gel?

And I love it! Totally spongebob like obsidian said. :)
Is make this on purpose all the time if I could.. Give to my kids or market for kids.

Ha! Spongebob soap - that's awesome! I think its a cute soap - don't be so mean to it!
Yeah I know nothing, but Id heard silicone can do something like that? Could easily be wrong.

For what it's worth, it happened to one of my soaps that wasn't in a silicone mold, and the recipe I used was different than yours (10% Castor, 15% Cocoa, 30% Coconut, 30% Olive, 15% Avocado)
I don't remember why it happened, but it may indeed be sweat spots.

(they were supposed to be for Valentine's - I used a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the soap, but the red colouring faded, and now my soap is bumpy and has a sickly salmon-grey colour... happy ZOMBIE valentine's day, I guess!)

Seeing that you covered it in plastic wrap, maybe it is - I know that sometimes I cover my mold with a plastic cover before I wrap it in a towel, and that causes condensation to form on the plastic cover, since the water has no where to escape.

Totally loving the sponge-bob soap idea!

Looks to me like it overheated. I had a CPOP soap do that, looked funky on the surface but once you used it a few times the soap itself was lovely. Yes silicone molds can be bad about that because they don't transfer the heat at all but it can happen with any soap. Try soaping a little cooler and see if that helps, or just call it spongebob soap and embrace it. :)

How do you soap "cooler?" You mean when you add the oils to the lye water, do it at room temperature?

I kind of like the idea of Spongebob soap. LOL. Aftera few washes, those bubble marks will go away. I wonder what it will be like.

Thanks everyone!

I was also going to say that that looks overheated. I got small bubble sweat patches on a batch of soap I made with a troublesome fragrance oil. I put it in the fridge as soon as I realised it was overheating and the bubbles didn't get any bigger and we're just on the very surface, but it looks very similar.

I vote for overheating also. When I was experimenting with CPOP in silicone molds, I got this effect often. To prevent it, I would insulate less or peek from time to time and once you have complete gel, remove the insulation entirely. You could also use cooler oils/lye solution as has been suggested already.

Hardly ugly! You should have seen my first batch. Bright orange from virgin palm oil with a giant crack running down the middle. It was love at first sight, though.

SPECIAL! LIMITED EDITION COLLECTIBLE - CLEANSE YOUR FAVORITE ZOMBIE SOAP!
Yes, Valentine Day is almost here. Keep a bar of this on hand and show your favorite zombie there is a better way! Hose him/her down and chunk this bar over the fence! Soon they'll stop screaming BRAINS! BRAINS! and look forward to this very special LIMITED EDITION Zombie soap.

It's not bad soap. It just doesn't look as you expected. I like it.

Back