Help! Shower steamer/bath both having white spot after drying

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catswithmasgicbomb

Reaction score
So I was testing my recipe for shower steamers and because I am in the United Kingdom, which is very humid most of them, I modify those testing receipts and I have my receipt with NO CARRIER OIL and NO WATER at all. The ingredient I am using are:

• Baking Soda
  • Citric Acid
  • Dry Flour (The 2nd batch I tested with plain flour)
  • Cream of tartar
  • Alcohol
  • Menthol Crystal
  • Fragance
  • Mica
I also add citrus acid at the very last step to prevent activating them.

It dried out very hard but the thing is lots of white patches can be seen after drying!

The purple one is my first-ever batch which contained more Isopropyl Alcohol and Fragrance Oil (both together account for only 4% of the total weight.

2B81D2B0-2882-4385-963B-75873EE78978.jpeg

The yellow one is my second batch which contained a total of 2.5% of Isopropyl Alcohol and Fragrance Oil.

014880FF-B601-412D-AAA3-AB824FC4F95A.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 22.49.50.png

The pink one is my newest batch which contained a total of 1.5% of Isopropyl Alcohol and Fragrance Oil. I turned on dehumidifier for three hours and the white patches came out after... (The second pics was taken only three hours after putting it in the mould)
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 22.50.04.png
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 22.50.16.png

Please ignore how ugly the pattern is for now as I just need to take the recipe first.

Any idea what I can do? It's there nothing that I can do if I am in a humid weather like here?

Thank you all!

How are you storing them? Can you find some of those desiccant silica gel packets and store them together in an airtight container? That would prevent the humidity from activating the top.

Interesting, I’ve never tried menthol crystals in bath bombs, since that could be a little too tingly in *sensitive spots* that come in contact with bath water.

Anyway, you actually do have water in your recipe, since the alcohol is 30% water (assuming you are using 70% isopropyl alcohol).

I personally don’t have a lot of luck using alcohol in bath bombs, whether it’s humid or dry. It gives a weird texture that changes so quickly as the alcohol evaporates. I find straight water, or a plain oil or butter, to be much easier to work with, and no activation from either. Have you tried any recipes with either of those? If not, check out Creative Bath Lab on YouTube. She lives in an extremely humid area and has a great recipe for that. I use a very slightly modified version of this for my bombs, and they almost never activate.

Latest posts

Back