Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter was going to order cookies from her sister to give to the neighbors but backed off. They are a lot of work and I am afraid they would get thrown away, although my daughter did recently get a cookie order from a co-worker of her husband. My daughter puts a tremendous amount of work into her cookie decorating so I told her to just send us some.

I want to thank all of you for the well wishes. Hopefully, we are finally turning the corner with this miserable virus, but it is costing us spending the Holiday with my granddaughter I so badly miss. :-(
I am so glad that you both are feeling well enough to miss your granddaughter. It could be so much worse. Hang in there!

It's hard to know what to do! I usually do this too, and I have read that the experts say there is no risk. However, I think a lot of people will throw them in the garbage if I hand them out this year, so I am leaning toward not doing it. It's pretty labor intensive, and it's expensive, and I hate to think of them being thrown away. I'm sure my neighbors would not tell me if that was what they were planning to do in order not to hurt my feelings.
Maybe you could ask them whether they want the cookies? That would give them a graceful out if they are concerned, and also let you give to those who are not concerned.

@cmzaha so glad you and Tony are turning the corner with this nasty thing. And I am with you re: missing the grandkids. 😢

"While researchers are hopeful that current candidates will stop not only symptoms but also transmission, no COVID vaccine has proven that capability yet. "
And:
"While it's possible that one or more of the vaccines could produce sterilizing immunity, it currently remains unproven. "
And:
"While experts learn more about the protection that COVID-19 vaccines provide under real-life conditions, it will be important for everyone to continue using all the tools available to us to help stop this pandemic, like covering your mouth and nose with a mask .... " ( The COVID Vaccine May Not Prevent Tranmission, Experts Warn )

So, vaccine manufacturers never proved that it can stop the transmission. So - people should take a part in unprescendent medical experiment and everything stays the same like wearing masks and lockdowns (hopefully it would not bring some surprizes later on, like SwineFlu Vaccine brought narcolepsy (uncurable progressing neurological desease) in many : Narcolepsy Following 2009 Pandemrix Influenza Vaccination in Europe | Vaccine Safety | CDC , which set on as late as year after vaccination, and as trial participants in case of COVID19 vaccine are observed only two months after getting shots)
And considering the fact NEVER EVER before mRNA vaccine was approved, but many trials showed that mRNA therapies hat lots of severes side effects resulting in stopping research.
And now suddenly new TYPE of vaccine approved after two months of clinical trial (with half of test persons out of manufacturers employees and their families) - and I should believe it is totally safe? I will better bet on my loss of smell I had for a week mid January 2020...

Last edited:
Boss just called...new co-worker just tested positive for Covid so we are off work for the next three days. He called in sick on Friday and got tested.

I sit a good 12 feet from him and know we didn’t share any equipment outside of the printer. I did give him cash on Thursday for lunch and he handed me my sealed food.

Boss’s doctor said that if anyone is going to get sick, it will be within the next couple of days (hence the three days off). I’ll call my doctor in the morning.

ETA: Just called my son, we were supposed to go up to his place on Saturday. We have rescheduled Christmas for January and will combine son’s birthday, DIL’s birthday, and grandson’s 1st birthday.

And on a fantastic note...son sent me a picture of the ring he got his girlfriend (I call her my DIL); he’s going to propose Christmas Eve.. I’ve been praying for this day. He talked to her folks...they gave their blessing. Son and DIL have two children.

Last edited:
Boss just called...new co-worker just tested positive for Covid so we are off work for the next three days. He called in sick on Friday and got tested.

I sit a good 12 feet from him and know we didn’t share any equipment outside of the printer. I did give him cash on Thursday for lunch and he handed me my sealed food.

Boss’s doctor said that if anyone is going to get sick, it will be within the next couple of days (hence the three days off). I’ll call my doctor in the morning.

ETA: Just called my son, we were supposed to go up to his place on Saturday. We have rescheduled Christmas for January and will combine son’s birthday, DIL’s birthday, and grandson’s 1st birthday.

And on a fantastic note...son sent me a picture of the ring he got his girlfriend (I call her my DIL); he’s going to propose Christmas Eve.. I’ve been praying for this day. He talked to her folks...they gave their blessing. Son and DIL have two children.
Sounds like you should be safe enough, but I will be thinking good thoughts. Congratulations on a new DIL! Good news in bad times.

So every year I take the week before Christmas off for my vacation. I use this time to clean and catch up on household stuff. I also spend a day baking lots and lots of Christmas cookies. I usually make boxes up for my neighbors. My son asked if I was still doing it this year due to the pandemic. He just wanted to make sure I was still making cookies for us! But although I was still planning to bake cookies for my neighbors, my son got me thinking. What is your opinion? Should I hold off sending homemade cookie to my neighbors this year?
I always make up plates of homemade cookies and give them to neighbors and friends. I will do it again this year. If they choose to throw them away that's fine with me, it's the thought that counts.

Any homemade goodies that I receive will either go into my "COVID holding area" where I keep all packages for a at least day before unwrapping them, or I will disinfect the package with 70% alcohol before opening.

I always make up plates of homemade cookies and give them to neighbors and friends. I will do it again this year. If they choose to throw them away that's fine with me, it's the thought that counts.

Any homemade goodies that I receive will either go into my "COVID holding area" where I keep all packages for a at least day before unwrapping them, or I will disinfect the package with 70% alcohol before opening.
I'm sure your neighbors and friends will appreciate:)
Like in restaurants, add another precaution of wearing a mask and gloves as you make and pack them.
I'm doing that with all my gifts.

I heard on the news that although the vaccine will be in Florida today (Monday), Palm Beach County where I work won't be getting it for another couple of weeks. Now that I have decided to get it, that was a bummer when I woke up this morning. But then it also gives us a few weeks to see how it affects everybody else lol. Although it kinda blows my mind because its one of the highest counties for covid. I dunno. Next to Miami, we kinda thought we would be one of the first ones on the list.

I was talking to one of our Trauma Nurses tonight who was one of the first ones in the hospital to contract covid early on. She was really sick for about 8 weeks. She is conducting her own personal experiment to see how long she has antibodies by getting tested once a week. So far she still has them, and it's been about 7 months.

At work, as a teacher, if anything comes from home we have to quarantine for 72 hours. Same with my daughter who works in a clothes shop, any returned clothes have to sit by for 72 hours. I hopes this helps with time frames for setting things aside.

At work, as a teacher, if anything comes from home we have to quarantine for 72 hours. Same with my daughter who works in a clothes shop, any returned clothes have to sit by for 72 hours. I hopes this helps with time frames for setting things aside.
We spray delivered packages with Lysol and have setup a quarantine area in our garage where packages, and mail, sit for at least 72 hours. Everything, including contents of quarantined packages and groceries, that comes into the house gets wiped down with 151 Everclear (75% grain alcohol) and allowed to air dry or, if clothing, gets thrown into the washer immediately. Letters/cards/bills get tended to after they've quarantined, and we wash/sanitize hands after handling. External car handles/door frames (you know, where you put your hand to shut the door) get wiped, car insides and shoe soles get sprayed, floor where groceries sat gets sprayed, grocery bags and clothes/coat get washed after coming home from grocery shopping. It sounds like a lot, but it's funny how quickly it becomes routine, although I do mutter a bit at the tedium of wiping down canned food! I might have already written, I bet our little Village thinks we've become alcoholics since we're buying so much Everclear - LOL We can get hard liquor less half-a-mile away, but not butterscotch chips?! 🤣 - but I digress. I sometimes think we're being freakish, and I feel bad when I don't open packages/letters from friends immediately, but then I receive a package from someone who became sick and tested positive just days later with COVID (which certainly means they had COVID when packing up my package) and I no longer feel freakish. I have a 94 yr-young Great Aunt (still driving...doh!) who was exposed three weeks ago, and who tested negative. Not that I want her to live forever - well, OK, I do - but I'd rather her not die alone in a hospital from COVID. I'm looking forward to the vaccine. :)

My sister called me last night informing me Caremore called to make an appointment to give my 94 yr old mom the vaccine. If you recall the 40k mess with my sister, now she calls me for my opinion... My sister has full POA medical, anyhoo I digress, I told her my opinion is no. They really go nowhere and I do not approve of using elders as guinea pigs. This vaccine, I do not care what anyone tells me, has been too political in nature and fast-tracked. I do not believe a few months of testing can prove what is going to come up a year from now, 2 yrs. Yes, this is a hateful nasty virus, but we have all know for years viruses are getting more resistant and harder to deal with. Enough with my opinions. I am not planning on getting the vaccine and fortunately, now I am not on the immediate list.

Guess what, you can take all the precautions and still get this virus if you leave your bubble. Ask me how I know.

I hear you, @cmzaha. My Great Aunt feels the same way and is thankful she's not in a nursing home so that she's not forced to get the vaccine. Perhaps I should have expounded on my post, but it was already so long... I agree with her and, while I do look forward to getting the vaccine for myself, I think it so very wrong and downright atrocious that it seems we're using the most vulnerable of our population as guinea pigs.

That said, I was in a USAF unit type code that required being ready for travel anywhere at anytime, meaning I received enough vaccines to fill multiple immunization cards, and my Dad headed a county CDC, so my perspective on vaccines is likely different to most folks.

Australian company Ellume has designed and had approved a COVID home test kit
the US FDA has approved it
the test takes about 20 minutes and the expected cost (according to the CEO/doctor of Ellume on the news this morning) is $30

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/made-in-australia-good-news.82123/
(we dont need it here, so you are getting all of the first rounds - it works on testing for a protein, so it is super quick)

Just saw this this morning. Boris Johnson to hold emergency meeting as concerns grow over new coronavirus variant

Anyone that thought this was close to being over..... well things changed I guess.

Let the games begin on what will happen next and how/if that changes the vaccine %'s on success

Personally I think if you shut the world down, a Real stay at home for a month, should stop it. I know that won't happen but I see no other way of stopping the spread

What I don't get is why all international travel isn't banned. It should have been right off the bat and stayed that way until the vaccine has been distributed world wide.
I would be completely ok with banning travel between states too.

We had very few cases until travel restrictions were lifted and all the tourists showed up for the summer

What I don't get is why all international travel isn't banned. It should have been right off the bat and stayed that way until the vaccine has been distributed world wide.
I would be completely ok with banning travel between states too.

We had very few cases until travel restrictions were lifted and all the tourists showed up for the summer
Here, too. The majority of cases at the beginnning of all this were out of area visitors who came to party. Perish the thought that their summer fun could be cancelled! No, instead they shared Covid with the locals.

Even now, the province of Manitoba has been completely shut down; someone was mentioning to me that they couldn't believe the number of vehicles with Manitoba license plates here in town. We're in BC, three provinces over! They HAD to do their Christmas shopping somewhere, right?

This is frustrating. FINALLY we got the vaccine in the county that i work in. They distributed to our hospital, but we cannot get it until the 28th because our employee health department is on xmas leave until after xmas. And then we need an appointment!

What in the actual (heck). I finally decided to take it. Even if i didnt i would be mad. How can they make that decision?? 2 girls that work in an office type setting saying no...they are on xmas leave.

So you guys get a week off, while we are working with covid pts. Our numbers are up, and this is your decision? Enjoy your time off.

Employee health, we cant even go there for our yearly tests....they even did away with our tb test, they are so afraid of being exposed to us.

AND THEN i was talking to this nurse tonight that said something about a waiver he had to sign. Im like “ what waiver”. He said he was given a waiver. I never got one, neither did trauma...i asked. Nobody heard of anything to sign.

AND THEN i was talking to this nurse tonight that said something about a waiver he had to sign. Im like “ what waiver”. He said he was given a waiver. I never got one, neither did trauma...i asked. Nobody heard of anything to sign.
WTH? I don't get it either! I know you must be terribly frustrated. It sounds like these people are living in an alternate reality to me, and I cannot believe the hospital administration or the nurses in EH think this is acceptable. People!

Latest posts

Back