Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not someone knowing something you don't, that's someone giving up on controlling the spread. It's not suddenly non contagious.
One of the nurses that I work with had covid early on. She gets tested for antibodies every week and she is still testing positive for antibodies. I know there are a lot of uncertainties, but hopefully your room mate can't spread it back to you, knowing that she already had it...hopefully that means it isn't going to spread. I have some mixed opinions that I won't share on this (not you, the whole rest of it), but keeping my fingers crossed for you. Has she been tested for antibodies? Blood donations is a good way to get a free antibody test...

They are letting covid+ workers back into work at the hospital if they don't have symptoms, even if they are still positive on their repeat test. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but somebody knows something we don't.

It went from sanitizing walls and floors in the lobby in the beginning, shutting down hallways to transport covid pts, to only cleaning certain areas and transporting patients all over the place... to letting positive workers come back to work based on them saying they don't have symptoms... over the phone, without a follow up at employee health or dr note. For pete's sake, we needed a dr note to come back to work if we were out more than 2 days prior to this. Now you can be out for 10 or 14 and simply tell them you feel better and come back, even still positive. I am not a dr or nurse, so I would like someone who knows better to explain this to me LOL.

I had a patient brought to me from the covid floor. The nurse had on a surgical mask, and literally nothing else. Fiddling with the iv with her bare hands. yeah...that's a bad habit for all of us, but this was a covid patient. What happened to the astronaut/bunny suits? Now no gloves even. Bad practice on a regular day, but we are all guilty of that. I can't even start an iv with gloves on. But with covid patients? And from the covid floor none the less.

I work at two hospitals. I thought this was just at my main job. But my part-time job is the same way.

One of the nurses that I work with had covid early on. She gets tested for antibodies every week and she is still testing positive for antibodies. I know there are a lot of uncertainties, but hopefully your room mate can't spread it back to you, knowing that she already had it...hopefully that means it isn't going to spread. I have some mixed opinions that I won't share on this (not you, the whole rest of it), but keeping my fingers crossed for you. Has she been tested for antibodies? Blood donations is a good way to get a free antibody test...

They are letting covid+ workers back into work at the hospital if they don't have symptoms, even if they are still positive on their repeat test. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but somebody knows something we don't.

It went from sanitizing walls and floors in the lobby in the beginning, shutting down hallways to transport covid pts, to only cleaning certain areas and transporting patients all over the place... to letting positive workers come back to work based on them saying they don't have symptoms... over the phone, without a follow up at employee health or dr note. For pete's sake, we needed a dr note to come back to work if we were out more than 2 days prior to this. Now you can be out for 10 or 14 and simply tell them you feel better and come back, even still positive. I am not a dr or nurse, so I would like someone who knows better to explain this to me LOL.

I had a patient brought to me from the covid floor. The nurse had on a surgical mask, and literally nothing else. Fiddling with the iv with her bare hands. yeah...that's a bad habit for all of us, but this was a covid patient. What happened to the astronaut/bunny suits? Now no gloves even. Bad practice on a regular day, but we are all guilty of that. I can't even start an iv with gloves on. But with covid patients? And from the covid floor none the less.

I work at two hospitals. I thought this was just at my main job. But my part-time job is the same way.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/return-to-work.html
Here are the CDC guidelines for HCP to return to work. They do not recommend that anyone work with a positive test. If you have a positive test, you can spread the virus even if you don't have symptoms. That is how most of the spread is occurring, from people who are positive and asymptomatic. From all that I have read, this is a decision that some hospitals are making in order to keep staffing numbers where they want them to be. They feel that if HCP wear a mask, then it will be OK. I certainly hope they are just having positive HCP work on Covid units, but it seems that it would be a risk to their colleagues who are negative. I guess if I had a choice of having HCP who were positive taking care of me, and not having any HCP taking care of me at all, it would be a time for desperate measures. But unless that is the situation, I certainly would not want anybody positive coming in my room. So, I don't think anyone knows any information that is not available if you look in the right places for it. I do think they have backed off of environmental sanitizing quite a bit since they have documented that it is pretty difficult to catch Covid from an environmental surface if you wash your hands regularly and at times you should, like before preparing food, eating, etc.
And here are their recommendations for strategies to prevent staff shortages.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/mitigating-staff-shortages.html
Probably more than you wanted to know, but interesting and important information if you are a working healthcare person.

This sounds to me like very poor practice, If that nurse worked at my facility even for one day, she would be let go. Gloves, gown, hair covering, mask, eye protection, shoe coverings are standard - wear them or go home. And if you go home, don't ever come back. We had one nurse who refused to wear all this PPE, she was fired. This is really sad to hear.

This is frustrating. FINALLY we got the vaccine in the county that i work in. They distributed to our hospital, but we cannot get it until the 28th because our employee health department is on xmas leave until after xmas. And then we need an appointment!

What in the actual (heck). I finally decided to take it. Even if i didnt i would be mad. How can they make that decision?? 2 girls that work in an office type setting saying no...they are on xmas leave.

So you guys get a week off, while we are working with covid pts. Our numbers are up, and this is your decision? Enjoy your time off.

Employee health, we cant even go there for our yearly tests....they even did away with our tb test, they are so afraid of being exposed to us.

AND THEN i was talking to this nurse tonight that said something about a waiver he had to sign. Im like “ what waiver”. He said he was given a waiver. I never got one, neither did trauma...i asked. Nobody heard of anything to sign.
The Pfizer BioNTech vaccine? Isn't that beyond the 5 day storage limit out of freezer?

Or is it the Moderna vaccine, which can be stored for 30 days out of freezer?

Just wondering if this makes any sense... Well, as you know, No, it doesn't make sense even if it is the Moderna vaccine, because, hey, selfish-much? (Not you, Cat, the girls on vacay. - They don't deserve to work in a department called 'employee health'!!!)

Personally, I prefer the Moderna vaccine if I have my druthers.

I have no qualms and have never had any leanings toward anti-vaccination; I am getting it as soon as I have access.

Oh, BTW, I learned why my husband & his co-workers who were trained to assist with the roll-out of vaccines were never called up for duty. The current administration dismantled every aspect of the pandemic response program put in place by the previous administration; so the current plan was a re-invention of the wheel, so to speak. Oh, well. Maybe someday, we can learn from our past and be better prepared in the future.

Honestly, Kim, it's more about the shortage of skilled and trained workers than anything else.

When I was a floor nurse, one of the things my favorite Nursing Supervisor used to say was, "I can't knit nurses" when people complained about either being called to come in to work extra shifts. Or when they complained they didn't get called to come in, it was "If they ever said 'Yes', then I'd call them, but they always say 'No' so why would I call them to come in."

Sure it's a tough decision to make, but where do you think the management is going to find nurses and RTs and other essential personnel who are capable of doing direct care with Co-Vid patients if the asymptomatic skilled workers are NOT allowed to work? There is already a nursing shortage in this country. This is only making it worse. And the same is true for skilled Respiratory Therapists as well. So I get it that they are being allowed to work. If they weren't allowed to work, then even more people would die and nobody wants that.

As far as self-reporting, that is the wisest method at this point. Getting a note from a physician that a person is asymptomatic is a ridiculous idea, really. What happens when you go to a doctor? They ask you your symptoms, which is the same as self-reporting. The doctor may examine you, have the office nurse take a temp, but these days, you can't even enter the building without a fever, so why bother seeing the doctor when asymptomatic anyway. It would be a stupid a waste of resources to do that. Medical personnel are considered extremely reliable at self-reporting, and for good reason. We are so perceived because we do tend to be in matters of our own health.

Last edited:
The Pfizer BioNTech vaccine? Isn't that beyond the 5 day storage limit out of freezer?

Or is it the Moderna vaccine, which can be stored for 30 days out of freezer?

Just wondering if this makes any sense... Well, as you know, No, it doesn't make sense even if it is the Moderna vaccine, because, hey, selfish-much? (Not you, Cat, the girls on vacay. - They don't deserve to work in a department called 'employee health'!!!)

Personally, I prefer the Moderna vaccine if I have my druthers.

I have no qualms and have never had any leanings toward anti-vaccination; I am getting it as soon as I have access.

Oh, BTW, I learned why my husband & his co-workers who were trained to assist with the roll-out of vaccines were never called up for duty. The current administration dismantled every aspect of the pandemic response program put in place by the previous administration; so the current plan was a re-invention of the wheel, so to speak. Oh, well. Maybe someday, we can learn from our past and be better prepared in the future.

Honestly, Kim, it's more about the shortage of skilled and trained workers than anything else.

When I was a floor nurse, one of the things my favorite Nursing Supervisor used to say was, "I can't knit nurses" when people complained about either being called to come in to work extra shifts. Or when they complained they didn't get called to come in, it was "If they ever said 'Yes', then I'd call them, but they always say 'No' so why would I call them to come in."

Sure it's a tough decision to make, but where do you think the management is going to find nurses and RTs and other essential personnel who are capable of doing direct care with Co-Vid patients if the asymptomatic skilled workers are NOT allowed to work? There is already a nursing shortage in this country. This is only making it worse. And the same is true for skilled Respiratory Therapists as well. So I get it that they are being allowed to work. If they weren't allowed to work, then even more people would die and nobody wants that.

As far as self-reporting, that is the wisest method at this point. Getting a note from a physician that a person is asymptomatic is a ridiculous idea, really. What happens when you go to a doctor? They ask you your symptoms, which is the same as self-reporting. The doctor may examine you, have the office nurse take a temp, but these days, you can't even enter the building without a fever, so why bother seeing the doctor when asymptomatic anyway. It would be a stupid a waste of resources to do that. Medical personnel are considered extremely reliable at self-reporting, and for good reason. We are so perceived because we do tend to be in matters of our own health.
I had to sign a form. Not sure whether it was a waiver or a consent form.

Well, if all travel were banned between states or whatever municipalities may be called in our various locales, where would our food come from? How would PPE's get delivered? How would we get our soap-making supplies? How would hand sanitizer end up in the hands of those who need them? Who would repair essential equipment when it breaks down? There is so much done that is totally dependent on interstate & international travel, to assume that we can just close the roads to all traffic is naive. And our Congressfolk have to travel to do the business of running our democracy, in fact, so shutting down the airports would halt that process as well.

And how would people who have to return home get back home? Or people that have to move to find a new place to live (for whatever reason), how will they get there if they can't travel to their new home? Not everyone started in a place where they can actually stay indefinitely when this pandemic hit or when a new wave hit, either.

Anyway, I do agree that reasonable travel restrictions are necessary and that unnecessary travel should be avoided. But people are going to do what they are going to do and it cannot all be prevented even with the most stringent policies in place.

So I just got back from moving my son 2100 miles across country. He had to move. He could not do it on his own. I had to go back there to help him. It was the only way to make it happen safely and to ensure he would not end up stranded somewhere along the way. In fact, if I had not been there, he may well have ended up in a psych ward, jail, stranded in a snow storm in Colorado, or dead. Any of those things were an absolutely real possibility given his circumstances. And his dog would have suffered as well, and would also have ended up stranded who knows where had any of those things happened. So I did the right thing by my son, his dog and my conscience. I rented a vehicle and drove out to get him and we caravaned as far as over the mountain range in Colorado until his car gave out, then I rented a storage unit for some of his stuff and drove him & his dog the rest of the way here so he would have a safe place to live. Tomorrow my husband is driving to Colorado to get his stuff from storage and bringing it back here. I was going to do that myself, but he volunteered to take on that burden and give me a few extra days of much needed rest, for which I am extremely grateful. He's a good man. And my son is close-by now and I can better keep track of his welfare, even though he is an adult and I wish he could manage it all by himself.

There are so many people in the world who cannot make it on their own without the help of others, and travel is sometimes a necessary part of providing that help. So I am against the idea of absolute travel bans. They make no sense unless as a society we also endorse starvation and isolation to the detriment of life.

In the course of my travels to and from my son's home, I adhered to strict CoVid precautions, more so than some state residents in all the states I drove through, both at gas stations (had to use the restrooms) and in hotels (couldn't sleep in the car in the dead of winter in any of said states). The only places that seemed to adhere to CoVid precautions diligently were in places where it's a National Corporate policy and even then some simply chose to ignore the posted signage. These were not travelers, but local people with local license plates on their cars; so if they get CoVid, they have only themselves to blame, not this traveler. I rarely saw anyone with out-of-state plates get out of their cars or semis without a mask at a truck stop in any of the states where I refilled the gas tank. And none of them walked into a C-store without a mask from those out-of-state plated vehicles.

I had to sign a form. Not sure whether it was a waiver or a consent form.
Mine is called a consent form. And I found out that they are making you wait in the area to make sure you don't have a reaction to it.

My boss just texted me that she is currently waiting in line for the vaccine. I still don't understand why there is a line if they are only scheduling every 30 minutes.

@earlene I am not sure which vaccine we are being offered, but the consent does have a check off for which one was administered. I am sure WE don't get to make that decision, but I am curious as to why there are both on there as options.

edit: nurses and therapists are leaving the hospital in droves because travel agencies are offering $10k per WEEK. But you can be sent anywhere, and they are not offering insurance, but I suppose that for that kind of money you can get your own insurance. As far as I know, no agencies are offering that kind of money for rad techs, but I kind of like the security of having a full time job. Who knows how long these positions are going to last, and then you don't have your FT position to return to. And I also wonder where they are getting the money to pay them that much? CARES Act?

I just wish this would all be over...

Last edited:
My SIL did the traveling nurses thing for a couple of years after my brother finished his engineering degree and before he nailed down a great job back in California. They tend to pay very high wages in those instances. I was often tempted, but never wanted to leave the security of my job either. And after I retired, the head hunters would call me every few months for years offering extremely high incentives. If I wasn't adamant that I wanted to enjoy my retirement, perhaps I would have taken them up on it, but no, I preferred my freedom to do as I pleased when I pleased. But I was never offered $10K per week. That would have been hard to turn down. They don't call anymore. Maybe they finally figured out I have never returned any of their calls.

High short term wages are a really tempting thing and lots of folks do it with a plan of filling their bank accounts so they can afford an early retirement. My uncle did it when he went over to Dubai to work the oil rigs. A decade of those kinds of wages gave him the opportunity to buy multiple houses - one for his mother, some for his kids and more than one for himself and my aunt, as well as a few rental properties AND a trucking business to run when he retired from the oil industry.

And then of course there's the whole, "If this is going to kill me, I may as well sock away a huge chunk of change while I can" kind of feeling that may play a part as well. I'd probably feel that way; sort of build up an inheritance for the grandkids or write something into my will to start a foundation for nursing scholarships and make my granddaughter the first recipient, then she could administer the selection of candidates each year after completing her degree kind-of-thing. How altruistic AND manipulative is that? Controlling her from the grave. ;)

Mine is called a consent form. And I found out that they are making you wait in the area to make sure you don't have a reaction to it.

My boss just texted me that she is currently waiting in line for the vaccine. I still don't understand why there is a line if they are only scheduling every 30 minutes.

@earlene I am not sure which vaccine we are being offered, but the consent does have a check off for which one was administered. I am sure WE don't get to make that decision, but I am curious as to why there are both on there as options.

edit: nurses and therapists are leaving the hospital in droves because travel agencies are offering $10k per WEEK. But you can be sent anywhere, and they are not offering insurance, but I suppose that for that kind of money you can get your own insurance. As far as I know, no agencies are offering that kind of money for rad techs, but I kind of like the security of having a full time job. Who knows how long these positions are going to last, and then you don't have your FT position to return to. And I also wonder where they are getting the money to pay them that much? CARES Act?

I just wish this would all be over...
I think the Moderna vaccine because it’s easier to store. The Pfizer vaccine has to be kept at minus 100, and most places don’t have the ability to store it.

I actually asked around last night because I thought I might be mistaken about the 10k/wk pay. It sounded crazy to me. But I was sitting there and there was a nurse talking to an RRT and they said it again. The nurse was like "I am going to pay my truck off in a couple of weeks with this money". So its true LOL. That just seems like a crazy amt of money, and again, I would be worried that it would be short lived and not have a job in the near future.

When I lived back in Philly a bunch of years ago, I did some agency work in addition to my FT job. I liked it because it was all local and you could pick up jobs, or not pick them up if you chose. It was good money back then...$50/hr for a CT tech was great. And if I took call it was even better LOL. We got paid $200 per body part we scanned plus $50/hr that we were there. Needless to say I was never in a hurry to get out of the hospital while I was on call lol. One job I was on call for a 12 hour shift and got called in a few times. My paycheck was $1200 at the end of the week just from that one 12 hour call that I picked up.

I actually asked around last night because I thought I might be mistaken about the 10k/wk pay. It sounded crazy to me. But I was sitting there and there was a nurse talking to an RRT and they said it again. The nurse was like "I am going to pay my truck off in a couple of weeks with this money". So its true LOL. That just seems like a crazy amt of money, and again, I would be worried that it would be short lived and not have a job in the near future.

When I lived back in Philly a bunch of years ago, I did some agency work in addition to my FT job. I liked it because it was all local and you could pick up jobs, or not pick them up if you chose. It was good money back then...$50/hr for a CT tech was great. And if I took call it was even better LOL. We got paid $200 per body part we scanned plus $50/hr that we were there. Needless to say I was never in a hurry to get out of the hospital while I was on call lol. One job I was on call for a 12 hour shift and got called in a few times. My paycheck was $1200 at the end of the week just from that one 12 hour call that I picked up.
Well that beats the $5000 sign on bonus I got (one time) back in 1989!

Well that beats the $5000 sign on bonus I got (one time) back in 1989!
I got a sign on bonus at Martin for $4000 to move down from Philly in 2007, which seemed great at the time, until the taxes took almost half of it after it was added to my regular paycheck.

edit: and not realizing it, it was contingent on certain parts of the hiring process. So even though I had a letter off offer and already MOVED, I still had to do the background check, drug and health screening etc. I almost didn't pass the health screen because of a broken finger that I got just before I moved because of the lifting/moving test. I was dying LOL, but I knew now that it had to be done to pass. Trying to hide a broken finger while I got this guy telling me to keep picking up a 50lb weight to keep putting it from the table to the floor and back up was excruciating.

Last edited:
I got a sign on bonus at Martin for $4000 to move down from Philly in 2007, which seemed great at the time, until the taxes took almost half of it after it was added to my regular paycheck.

edit: and not realizing it, it was contingent on certain parts of the hiring process. So even though I had a letter off offer and already MOVED, I still had to do the background check, drug and health screening etc. I almost didn't pass the health screen because of a broken finger that I got just before I moved because of the lifting/moving test. I was dying LOL, but I knew now that it had to be done to pass. Trying to hide a broken finger while I got this guy telling me to keep picking up a 50lb weight to keep putting it from the table to the floor and back up was excruciating.
You had to demonstrate picking up 50#? Wow. I have never had to do that.

When I worked at the post office at age 18 (a ton of years ago), we had to be able to lift 50 pounds. But no one ever made me demonstrate doing so. But it would have been fine; I was pretty strong in my youth and regularly hefted 50-pound bags of dog food onto my shoulders (2 large dogs at home back then.)

Use of the thumb is so inherent in almost everything we do; we don't realize how much we use it until a thumb joint is compromised. It's horrible! Just using the lavatory becomes a major ordeal. I can't imagine how awful it was to have to try and hide it during a mandatory weight lifting test. You'd think they wanted a body builder!

When I worked at the post office at age 18 (a ton of years ago), we had to be able to lift 50 pounds. But no one ever made me demonstrate doing so. But it would have been fine; I was pretty strong in my youth and regularly hefted 50-pound bags of dog food onto my shoulders (2 large dogs at home back then.)

Use of the thumb is so inherent in almost everything we do; we don't realize how much we use it until a thumb joint is compromised. It's horrible! Just using the lavatory becomes a major ordeal. I can't imagine how awful it was to have to try and hide it during a mandatory weight lifting test. You'd think they wanted a body builder!
Exactly. I’ve been a nurse for a long time. Yes, it’s part of the job requirement, but I have never been asked to demonstrate.

You had to demonstrate picking up 50#? Wow. I have never had to do that.
You should have seen me at Jupiter LOL. The woman had a whole bunch of weights on a shelf and I had to keep picking them up and putting them back and picking them up and grab the next weight up....without moving my place. It was ridiculous! And it was timed. I mean, I pick up and move people all day long for a living. It was the repititions I guess LOL. I was TIRED. If my abs didn't hurt so much, I would have picked up one of the weights and threw it in her direction. I felt like asking this woman (who looked like she should have retired years ago), if she would like to give it a shot. This isn't a position for ninja warrior for pete's sake. And this was just last year!! It makes me think that the next time I pick up another job I am going to have to ask how rigorous the Occupational Health test is LOL.

You should have seen me at Jupiter LOL. The woman had a whole bunch of weights on a shelf and I had to keep picking them up and putting them back and picking them up and grab the next weight up....without moving my place. It was ridiculous! And it was timed. I mean, I pick up and move people all day long for a living. It was the repititions I guess LOL. I was TIRED. If my abs didn't hurt so much, I would have picked up one of the weights and threw it in her direction. I felt like asking this woman (who looked like she should have retired years ago), if she would like to give it a shot. This isn't a position for ninja warrior for pete's sake. And this was just last year!! It makes me think that the next time I pick up another job I am going to have to ask how rigorous the Occupational Health test is LOL.
I’m shocked.

I’m shocked.
I doubt I could do it.

I guess cause the job descriptions say that you need to be able to lift 50lbs? Martins wouldn't have been that hard except that I had that broken finger. But jupiter was crazy. Next I knew that nut was putting the tent on my head for the tb mask test. I'm like "you need to give me a minute" lol

And let me correct/clarify. Jup was doing reps with lighter weights. 5-10 lbs

I guess cause the job descriptions say that you need to be able to lift 50lbs? Martins wouldn't have been that hard except that I had that broken finger. But jupiter was crazy. Next I knew that nut was putting the tent on my head for the tb mask test. I'm like "you need to give me a minute" lol

And let me correct/clarify. Jup was doing reps with lighter weights. 5-10 lbs
Same thing in my job description - but I have never had to actually do it. And frankly at my age, it would be near impossible. However, we pick up, turn and otherwise position patients every day - but - we always have help. Maybe that's the difference? You are probably alone most of the time.

Back