Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyJo

Reaction score
With this now seemingly spreading swiftly around the world, I wondered whether any of our members are directly or indirectly affected?

Everyone will be affected. If not by the illness itself, by the economic depression this is causing. China manufactures products for the rest of the world. The month long production shut down has already put them in an economic depression and the rest of the global economy is following quickly.

Samsung has permanently closed their Chinese factories and moved to Vietnam. Car manufacturers are doing the same. China hasn't been buying oil over the last month which is negatively affecting the Asian oil market.

Cases are popping up randomly world wide now, even in people who have had seemingly no contact with China or anyone who traveled to china. Although nothing is confirmed yet my theory is they were infected by contaminated goods ordered online before the production shut down. Viruses are different than bacteria. They can survive on a surface for a long time without a host, and easily survive the trip overseas.

There is no need for people to start panicking, but every person world wide should be taking measures to protect themselves. The same measures you would take for the flu: wash your hands, dont share drinks or utensils, use your elbow to press elevator buttons, and try to avoid crowded places.

I was thinking that this one is weaker than SARS or MERS, but I read some where that there will be around million people globally infected and it is also expected that around 30K people will die because of that virus. The only good outcome is that people will have to wash their hands and face more frequently. I had a batch, borderline ph 10.5, I begin using this one as sterilizing wash for myself.

Our company has banned all business travel throughout the global offices with the exception of the US offices being able to travel to other US offices.
For personal travel, it has to be disclosed where you are going, is 'highly discouraged' but if you do any personal travel, depending on where you go, upon your return to work, you will be quarantined for up to 14 days, and if you at all spike a fever, or show any cold or flu like symptoms you are immediately sent home to work from home for 14 days.
Our Asian offices are on our rotating protocol where they either do split shifts, or shifts of half the office is working 1 week at the office, 1 week at home, and then rotates. The Asian offices (if working in the office) have a medical station where they will take people temps twice a day, and if there is a fever spike they get sent home.

I have not personally been affected other than it's harder to connect with the global offices. But I'm supposed to be taking a cruise in exactly 2 weeks, and am not sure if that will get cancelled or not. I've been so looking forward to it, I will probably cry real tears if it gets cancelled.

I am personally not worried. I have a pretty healthy immune system, and the regular flu has killed more people globally than this virus has or will.
Also IMO, as others have stated, it comes down to hygiene and health. If both are good, you should be fine.

Unfortunately I have a really bad record with respiratory diseases. Thankfully I've been able to avoid getting my yearly pneumonia for the past 2 years by working from home but sadly I'm super susceptible to getting respiratory diseases which means that I may have to cancel my travel plans this year. I'm supposed to go on a family trip to Curacao but if the outbreak gets worse then I can't see that it will be safe for me to travel unless I'm wearing a self contained hazmat suit.

Unfortunately I have a really bad record with respiratory diseases. Thankfully I've been able to avoid getting my yearly pneumonia for the past 2 years by working from home but sadly I'm super susceptible to getting respiratory diseases which means that I may have to cancel my travel plans this year. I'm supposed to go on a family trip to Curacao but if the outbreak gets worse then I can't see that it will be safe for me to travel unless I'm wearing a self contained hazmat suit.
I'm worried there as well. Every respiratory disease I've had in the past year I've gotten bronchitis. I had bronchitis 4 times last year...so pretty much the whole year (or at least it feels like it!). Luckily this year has been much better so far....but my two toddlers get croup every other cold as well...so pretty much if it becomes widespread in the US, I'll probably just take them out of daycare until the season ends.

There are vaccinations for the flu and pneumonia.
They won’t protect against the corona virus but might be worthwhile for you.

I am prone to bronchitis and pneumonia. I get the pneumonia shot and have not had an episode in 2 years. I believe there is a lot of scare tactics being given by news outlets causing much more stress to propel than necessary. I work in a hospital and they aren’t nearly as concerned as the news media’s stressing. They are prepared when it happens. Most patients are treated with fluids to keep hydrated. Just remember to wash your hands frequently.

I'm concerned but ok about it but tbh I'm terrified for my elderly parents.

It seems to be spreading so quickly now with increasing cases in the UK that you have to wonder how bad this can be. Not sure how much coverage its getting in the US or how many cases you have?

well on coming Monday I leave for Europe for few weeks , can not cancel it, With my COPD any cold or flue may end as pneumonia, I keep my fingers crossed that no one will be sneezing in plane. What we do , when the sickness come. Whatever it is is (viruses) it stats in the nose, then rinsing sinuses is pretty useful tool, hand washing, and hand washing I hope I will have a nice time in Poland (I had not visit for 15 years) and come back healthy

In a 2 week period at work (bedside hospital RN) I had a rule out Corona virus patient, a tuberculosis patient. Then a H1N1, and another influenza A and influenza B patient. :confused: Hope I can survive my career!
And once again the darn flu vaccine doesn't cover the B strain. Very frustrating! Going to Disney and flying with my 2 oldest vectors, oops I mean grandchildren! In a week. Very nervous about flying! So don't want to be sick nor have sick grandkids on vacation. Might have to wear nitrile gloves and face masks! I noticed Wholesale Supplies is out of face masks. And our hospital is out of N95 masks! Curious if someone will be checking temperatures at the airport?

I'm concerned but ok about it but tbh I'm terrified for my elderly parents.

It seems to be spreading so quickly now with increasing cases in the UK that you have to wonder how bad this can be. Not sure how much coverage its getting in the US or how many cases you have?

We have around 60 cases right now. Most are from the infected cruise ship that were flown back to the US.
The other patients either got sick in China or were in direct contact with family who had visited.

We've been very lucky so far, it's given us time to prepare. We have been told that its coming, sooner or later.

I don't watch TV news but I try to keep up on the world cases online. Guess I should start watching the local news since we have 4 of the cruise patients in a hospital 50 miles from here.

In a 2 week period at work (bedside hospital RN) I had a rule out Corona virus patient, a tuberculosis patient. Then a H1N1, and another influenza A and influenza B patient. :confused: Hope I can survive my career!
And once again the darn flu vaccine doesn't cover the B strain. Very frustrating! Going to Disney and flying with my 2 oldest vectors, oops I mean grandchildren! In a week. Very nervous about flying! So don't want to be sick nor have sick grandkids on vacation. Might have to wear nitrile gloves and face masks! I noticed Wholesale Supplies is out of face masks. And our hospital is out of N95 masks! Curious if someone will be checking temperatures at the airport?
If you are flying out of MSP, they weren’t checking temperatures as of last Friday. We did leave from terminal 2 this time, but I’m sure the protocol is the same at both terminals. It didn’t appear there were any checks happening when we came home Tuesday either.

With this now seemingly spreading swiftly around the world, I wondered whether any of our members are directly or indirectly affected?

I work for a CPA firm, but fortunately I don’t have a lot of in-person client contact. One of our clients was supposed to be getting married in Italy in April, but that’s not happening now.

We’ll just keep an eye on things and plan accordingly.

well on coming Monday I leave for Europe for few weeks , can not cancel it, With my COPD any cold or flue may end as pneumonia, I keep my fingers crossed that no one will be sneezing in plane. What we do , when the sickness come. Whatever it is is (viruses) it stats in the nose, then rinsing sinuses is pretty useful tool, hand washing, and hand washing I hope I will have a nice time in Poland (I had not visit for 15 years) and come back healthy
Apparently face masks only help you if there are people coughing/sneezing so if you have a few masks when you go and there are people sneezing that's something. About three years ago I travelled home to Australia from UK and got a respiratory infection that went through every tube including my ears and eyes. Last time I flew home we took disinfectant wipes to wipe down table, belt and buckle, armrests, entertainment unit, the works. Even the suitcases when we got them off the carousel. Use a nasal spray which makes your nose run as infections get stuck in your nose and go from there. Plenty of hand sanitiser frequently. Needless to say, neither of us even got the sniffles.

Back