Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...not sure we can get people sick with the virus on FB. xD

You are 100% correct, but people are getting stressed out with all of the unrelenting flow of grim news. At least I know I am. :( And ongoing low-level stress is not good for one's overall health and resistance to disease.

I want to be informed but I don't want to get overwhelmed. Working on finding that balance.

You are 100% correct, but people are getting stressed out with all of the unrelenting flow of grim news. At least I know I am. :( And ongoing low-level stress is not good for one's overall health and resistance to disease.

I want to be informed but I don't want to get overwhelmed. Working on finding that balance.

Yes, me too. I have removed the news feed app on my phone. I just don't need 100 updates a day on this. I told my husband that since he is off so much now, he can watch the news when I am not home. I am not sticking my head in the sand. I check the news once a day in the morning. That's enough. I am stepping away from all the Facebook drama about it. There's very little I can do about the overall situation, so I will deal with it in small doses and keep on washing my hands.

I had a furloughed (with pay) coworker call about her check. She said her friend's daughter was tested but no results yet. She had been with both. I told her she needed to self-isolate and her reply was, "I am going to pay my bills then go home." She isn't grasping she has to STAY HOME.

I didn't let her in the office, I put the check under the door.

I also scored some, made in NY by inmates, hand sanitizer.
I hate to say this but I would love to get my mitts on some. I understand that other areas need it more.

I started with a sore throat a couple of days ago, and have a slight headache, but temperature is fine and there's no fatigue. Talked to a medic who said it could be a flare-up of my COPD and not to worry, but if things change, off to A&E in a hurry. Phoned the hospital to see if things were overloaded there, and the receptionist laughed and said "every once in a while", but her attitude was very much one of don't worry, if you need help, here we are, which goes against the recent media-generated hysteria of collapsing health systems.

Keep treating your COPD as usual and take care of yourself.
Your meds can cause the sore throat - mine do at times. Nothing too unusual there.

On another topic - the distillery 50 miles away has switched to making sanitizers that smell just like the vodka they usually make. They are giving out free samples. If you order from them they do curbside delivery, no clients in the store. Washington State is under Marshall law.

I have spent much of the past 2 days in bed, with a slightly elevated temp, congestion, chills, lethargy and a decreased appetite. I don't believe it is COVID-19, since these are the same symptoms my 2 little guys had 10-14 days ago. Our country is already shut down and we were already practicing social distancing, now I'm isolating... just in case. The past 2 afternoons, when the lethargy peaks, and I lay down in my bed, my oldest (who is 7, has severe autism and is non-verbal) crawls into bed with me and sits quietly next to me while I sleep. It is extremely touching to know that he's watching over me.

We have been doing our best to make this time out of school and working from home not scary for the boys. We've taken walks on the nice days, done puzzles, played with trains, built Lego towers, watched cartoons and had breakfast for dinner more than once. We are hoping that Denmark doesn't go into lockdown like Italy, Spain and France.

This is a trying time for everyone.

I got these links from another forum I belong to where a few people are offering ideas for the kids at home.

coloring book pages from museums
Story time from space

I don’t know if your kids will have language issues with the second link but the concept is cool.
Crafts can be a great way to pass the time for the young ones. I have found the YouTube channel Red Ted Art has some very easy craft ideas for the younger children.

This is not 'For Some' this should be FOR ALL.

People need to understand that you don't need to be Showing Signs of Symptoms to contaminate others or Things<---- this is a biggie people. This thing lives on surfaces for a LONG TIME and in the Air for (IIRC) 4-6 hours. It is not 100% known the full facts on this.

Stay home, eat well, SLEEP VERY WELL. It is about the only thing we can do to Stop the spread. If EVERY STATE did this we all will be better off for it.
not really the virus lives on the surface about 3 hours.

Keep treating your COPD as usual and take care of yourself.
Your meds can cause the sore throat - mine do at times. Nothing too unusual there.

Many thanks, Steve! Today I feel a lot better. I'm starting to wonder if I might have had a really dangerous strain of Covid 19, a savage mutation that wreaks havoc on all who catch it. It's common name is "mental coronavirus". Its symptoms include constant, obsessive temperature taking, occasional nervous cough, headache from staring at social media websites, and frequent (mental) phone calls to a lawyer to draw up a last will and testament. Its scientific name is rampant hypochondria, and I think I had it bad, at least yesterday. The cure is really quite simple, stop looking at news updates and social media.

Here in sunny lockdown Spain, the numbers continue to go up, but they're going up more slowly. We may be reaching the peak, but there's a tough stretch ahead, so they say. The mortality rates look horrible in Spain and Italy, but that has its explanation. Both countries have a huge population of elderly citizens, and sadly they're catching it in large numbers. Then again, the most common "confinement breakers" are old folk. The Spanish eat, live and breathe street life, so old people just have to take their walk and see their friends in the park, and they don't mind getting into heated arguments with tired, stressed-out policemen trying to get them to go home.

The good news is that tonight all of Galicia is going out onto their balconies to sing "Oliñas Veñen" an old Galician folk song, at 22:00. To hell with that hairy little furball, we shall overcome...

Big hugs to all, take care and happy soaping.

Hope this helps others. Listed below are the CDC & NIH website info.

From the CDC:
Clean & Disinfect
Interim Recommendations for US Households with Suspected/Confirmed Coronavirus Disease 2019
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...cov/community/home/cleaning-disinfection.html
I am sure some of the CDC info will change as they Learn more with this but thought the recommending cleaning info would be helpful to everyone.
Snippit -- "Current evidence suggests that novel coronavirus may remain viable for hours to days on surfaces made from a variety of materials."

NIH (National Institutes of Health):
New coronavirus stable for hours on surfaces. SARS-CoV-2 stability similar to original SARS virus.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces
Snippit -- "The virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stable for several hours to days in aerosols and on surfaces, according to a new study from National Institutes of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University scientists in The New England Journal of Medicine."

Our Governor just gave all local independent distillery's the okay to start producing sanitizer as well.
I believe ours as well. One of my engineers is part owner of a distillery, and he was asking me some questions about making hand sanitizer.

One of the engineers here is starting to prepare for the end of times. It's fun stuff watching him panic. He's been asking me how to make soup, lol.

@amd --

Soup ... or soap? ;)

Maybe both, hey?

I have worked with many male engineer types over the years. It's fascinating to watch how some of them approach cooking and other things that require creativity and artistic flair as much as science. Many of them want to reduce the world to hard numbers and black and white methodology. It can be amusing ... or frustrating ... depending on the situation.

NIH now saying 3 hrs to 3 days, depending on the surface.
Our neighbour, who gets a lot of packages, says he's putting everything that comes into the house into various piles in the living room for 3 days before he touches them. I'm assuming he means the mail, and not groceries :p

It really is quite contagious and I have read that in warm temperature it can live on a surface for days.

A man infected with coronavirus spread the virus to nine other people on his bus, raising fears the killer infection can jump between people far easier than initially thought in confined places.

A study found two victims sitting 4.5 metres (14.7ft) away from the man were later diagnosed, which is four times what is considered a 'safe distance' to stand near an COVID-19 patient.

Countries including Italy and the UK have implemented one to two metre distancing between people to limit outbreaks.

The virus has been thought to spread via cough or sneeze droplets, but the study found germs can linger in the air for long periods of time.

One traveller caught the coronavirus half an hour after the initial COVID-19 carrier got off, according to the scientists.
The study also found the coronavirus can last for days on a surface, particularly in warmer temperatures, on plastic, fabric and metal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8094933/How-one-man-spread-coronavirus-NINE-people-bus.html

Back