Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 4 of the lockdown in Spain. The figures keep rising, as is only to be expected. The government and opposition have united to deal with the problem, and the general tonic is one of "we'll get through this if we stick together". At 20:00 every day everyone goes out onto their balconies to applaud. Last night in my street there was a bagpipe player, saxophonist, DJ and percussionist all doing impromptu concerts, and receiving shouts of encouragement and applause.

I started with a sore throat a couple of days ago, and have a slight headache, but temperature is fine and there's no fatigue. Talked to a medic who said it could be a flare-up of my COPD and not to worry, but if things change, off to A&E in a hurry. Phoned the hospital to see if things were overloaded there, and the receptionist laughed and said "every once in a while", but her attitude was very much one of don't worry, if you need help, here we are, which goes against the recent media-generated hysteria of collapsing health systems.

Seems like the virus is now spreading big time in the US. If so, please take my advice and one or two suggestions: don't get unnecessarily scared, ease up on the bad news, it'll only make you feel worse. This is not going to be eternal and try as I might, I can't see the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse anywhere. So perhaps a bit more calm might be in order...

Follow reputable websites. There's a lot of nonsense out there. And follow the self-care instructions.

As for belief or faith, each to his own, I'd say. Have yet to see any stipulations in this forum regarding expressions of personal belief or creed. If there are, do let me know. In the meantime, as the most venerable @KiwiMoose says, "Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". Maybe some members ought to make an effort to remember that. These days it's more important than ever.

In the meantime, now finishing season 3 of Vikings, it just gets better and better, to the extent that I'm praying to not get any bug till I've seen every last episode. It's as good a reason as any.

Take care, all of you, big hugs and encouragement, and happy soaping.

Day 4 of the lockdown in Spain. The figures keep rising, as is only to be expected. The government and opposition have united to deal with the problem, and the general tonic is one of "we'll get through this if we stick together". At 20:00 every day everyone goes out onto their balconies to applaud. Last night in my street there was a bagpipe player, saxophonist, DJ and percussionist all doing impromptu concerts, and receiving shouts of encouragement and applause.

I started with a sore throat a couple of days ago, and have a slight headache, but temperature is fine and there's no fatigue. Talked to a medic who said it could be a flare-up of my COPD and not to worry, but if things change, off to A&E in a hurry. Phoned the hospital to see if things were overloaded there, and the receptionist laughed and said "every once in a while", but her attitude was very much one of don't worry, if you need help, here we are, which goes against the recent media-generated hysteria of collapsing health systems.

Seems like the virus is now spreading big time in the US. If so, please take my advice and one or two suggestions: don't get unnecessarily scared, ease up on the bad news, it'll only make you feel worse. This is not going to be eternal and try as I might, I can't see the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse anywhere. So perhaps a bit more calm might be in order...

Follow reputable websites. There's a lot of nonsense out there. And follow the self-care instructions.

As for belief or faith, each to his own, I'd say. Have yet to see any stipulations in this forum regarding expressions of personal belief or creed. If there are, do let me know. In the meantime, as the most venerable @KiwiMoose says, "Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". Maybe some members ought to make an effort to remember that. These days it's more important than ever.

In the meantime, now finishing season 3 of Vikings, it just gets better and better, to the extent that I'm praying to not get any bug till I've seen every last episode. It's as good a reason as any.

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Thank you the positive world view. Sometimes we get so focused that we don't see how there could be any good in a situation. Can't see the forest for the trees. I need to go and get some groceries today, I will report back how the shelves look here in Philly.

Oh man I forgot to get Flour at Costco. Course not sure I NEED 25# of flour My bread machine is good but my bread is not the greatest so I am not sure I would want to Give any away lol

http://www.dinnerwithjulie.com/recipe/julia-childs-white-sandwich-bread/

I can't bake , but I can successfully make that every time. I've even gotten to the point where I can add different things to it, like wheat flours or seeds. And my family devours it so fast that I have to make double batches lol.

This is indeed a soap making forum but if my understanding of soap making is correct, it doesn't have anything to do with Covid 19 either. When we are going about our daily lives its good for our mental health not to have tunnel vision. So, saying something that might give another person a bit of comfort or peace of mind isn't necessarily a bad thing in my book. I even rejoice in the suds this comment might make. LOL Yes, this is a time for lots of soap to be available. Your doing a good thing by fulfilling that need.

I am not a medical doctor but I have been a student of health for many years. One of the reasons doctors advise against giving ibuprofen to someone who is running a fever with a virus is....The high fever is what helps to kill the virus. By taking ibuprofen to lower the temperature your working against your bodies immune system that's trying to eliminate the virus.
Virus's operate inside the cells of our body and that is what makes antibiotics ineffective against them. The antibiotics can't get into the cell to knock out the virus but heat can. If the virus causes the body temperature to get too high then medical people will try to lower it to some degree so it doesn't fry your brain. Now bacteria travel in the blood stream and antibiotics do too. That's why they can be effective against bacteria. They can reach them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to cut out a week of my vacation. I wanted to come to Canada, anyway here is my home and I am kind of protected . Over there I would have to pay for medical care, I am in high risk group. I had ten days of sighting , then every thing was closed .
I am not sure I did enjoy the experience, my family was freaking out did not let me go for a walk in park No matter how explained that beautiful weather and sun will bust the immune response

For some, social media distancing is a good thing to follow.

This is not 'For Some' this should be FOR ALL.

People need to understand that you don't need to be Showing Signs of Symptoms to contaminate others or Things<---- this is a biggie people. This thing lives on surfaces for a LONG TIME and in the Air for (IIRC) 4-6 hours. It is not 100% known the full facts on this.

Stay home, eat well, SLEEP VERY WELL. It is about the only thing we can do to Stop the spread. If EVERY STATE did this we all will be better off for it.

I'm a bit paranoid but I also have health related anxiety. I've been prep shopping for the last few days.
I should have enough food easily for a extended quarantine. Just gotta stock up on pet food and meds now.
At least I have plenty of soap, lol.
My family has been laughing at me because when I get bored I soap of course! I have my little town of 5000 people covered for soap, laundry soap, dish soap, and shampoo bars lol. We have plenty of food as well. Stay healthy

@Lin19687 - I think you missed the "social media" part of GML's message... Maybe read a little more closely before chastising.

People not taking the time to fully read / understand what is being written / said is usually at least partially at fault when it comes to a general lack of understanding.

My family has been laughing at me because when I get bored I soap of course!
I have jokingly told my husband for years that during the zombie apocalypse we will be the cleanest people around. I didn't think I would be right...

For the most part stores here are staying somewhat well stocked, depending on which day and time you go shopping - oh and where. WalMart looks good in the meat, produce and bread aisles, but the non-perishables are pretty bare, whereas grocery stores are well stocked in pretty much everything except TP and bread. The second oldest son works at the grocery by our house, so he was able to tell me when the trucks are scheduled and when they stock shelves, so I went grocery shopping yesterday at noon and was able to get everything on my list except bread, which hubby found at WalMart. Also interesting that when son came home from work he said that the TP truck didn't arrive until yesterday, and within 2 hours it was all gone. They didn't even get it on the shelves, people were taking it out of boxes.

I did have a funny chat with the bag boy, he's very worried about this "food shortage". It isn't a food shortage, there's plenty of food, there's just a supply and demand issue - the supplies were not there to meet the increased demand, which has come from hundreds of children suddenly having to be fed at home rather than being fed in school and other child care systems (typically our boys and girls club will host around 500 children daily during spring break, where they're fed breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner). Also consider that many who work in industries that would be greatest affected by forced quarantines are preparing for when they no longer have money to buy food because they have no income. My sister owns a restaurant, and as they shift to reduced seating, take out only, etc, she is also preparing for herself at home for the day she can't open the restaurant at all. She'll be without money so she's preparing now while she does have money. If I were dependent on this type of income (or even a single income source), this is exactly how I would be thinking and preparing for as well.

I'm trying to be a reasonable person and allow those who have the need get what they need first, but at the same time, I am going to start building our pantry in moderation with non-perishables. There won't be hoarding, there won't be panic runs to the store.

My dad has been quarantined due to an outbreak with the other drivers he works with (he drives milk truck). I am moving to work from home status beginning next week due to being a Level 3 health risk (forced by my employer). We will continue social distancing ourselves, and continue with good health practices.

@Lin19687 - I think you missed the "social media" part of GML's message... Maybe read a little more closely before chastising.
I think you missed Lin's meaning. She didn't miss anything. She does indeed mean that ALL of us should be distancing ourselves from social media. I personally have seen more "fake news" than actual real news on social media and it's disturbing.

I had a furloughed (with pay) coworker call about her check. She said her friend's daughter was tested but no results yet. She had been with both. I told her she needed to self-isolate and her reply was, "I am going to pay my bills then go home." She isn't grasping she has to STAY HOME.

I didn't let her in the office, I put the check under the door.

I also scored some, made in NY by inmates, hand sanitizer.

Last edited:
You are correct, I did miss the media wording. My apologizes
Although I am unsure why they wrote what they wrote as they didn't quote a particular person they were referring to.
Maybe I was thinking they just meant social distancing

I think you missed Lin's meaning. She didn't miss anything. She does indeed mean that ALL of us should be distancing ourselves from social media. I personally have seen more "fake news" than actual real news on social media and it's disturbing.

Actually I did miss the Media part but must have thought they just meant social distancing . I did mean Distancing ourselves from others. I am still surprised that many states have not done this like the ones that have. Mine has and others have when they see the numbers start to grow. By the time other states do this they too will have higher numbers. It just makes sense, it will keep the older/medical issued people safer, and all safer.
Media is good so long as it IS from Credible outlets. It keeps us informed and if we are correctly informed then we can make better decisions

People need to understand that you don't need to be Showing Signs of Symptoms to contaminate others or Things<---- this is a biggie people. This thing lives on surfaces for a LONG TIME and in the Air for (IIRC) 4-6 hours. It is not 100% known the full facts on this.

Stay home, eat well, SLEEP VERY WELL. It is about the only thing we can do to Stop the spread. If EVERY STATE did this we all will be better off for it.
They said "social media distancing" not sure we can get people sick with the virus on FB. xD

@Lin19687 - I'm also surprised that fewer states / places haven't put stronger social distancing rules in place... and that in those areas that have put social distancing principles in place there are still people who are balking at the idea or outright ignoring it!

Ontario put fairly strict social distancing practices in place over a week ago and went into a 'state of emergency' earlier this week when we still had under 200 confirmed cases. That same night I received a message from a friend asking if I still wanted to play ball-hockey this upcoming weekend.... o_O Seriously? Have you listened to no news source of any kind in the past week!?

Either way, people be crazy.

And for what it's worth, I also think more people could do with a little more social media distancing as well. ;)

I'm enjoying reading all of your reports, because my experience has been totally different. Last Wednesday, my wife and kids and I went to an all-inclusive in Cancun Mexico with my parents. At that time, we surmised I would probably work from home the next day in case I wanted to sleep in ;-) By the next day, schools had closed for the next 3 weeks. The day after, universities closed, moving everything online (my entire job is online education in a university, so I knew I'd be busy). We followed Canadian news and CNN as things grew more and more alarming, but as our trip was only one week long, we didn't think it necessary to try to move up our departure date. The resort wasn't talking about anything that might put a damper on the festivities, but you could see the crowds thinning out as fewer people arrived. They started closing restaurants and there weren't as many staff; many who were there had nothing to do with the smaller numbers. By the time we flew out yesterday afternoon, the flight attendants were wearing masks and gloves, and made an announcement that they were "honouring their contracts by showing up for work" but they were putting their and our health first and would offer limited service. I'll say it was limited: on a 4-hour flight, we each got a glass of water and that was it. The announcement also referred to the flight as a "repatriation" flight. We got out in time, though, hours before the Canadian government started screening to not let people "with symptoms" on flights. I looked at my sunburned little guy and wondered what temperature an IR thermometer would read on his little forehead....
Anyway, we're on a 14-day self-isolation, leaving only to walk the dog. Friends are dropping off groceries, and we will not be in any public spaces for the next two weeks, so I can't even report how bad the TP situation is.
My unit is very well set up to work from home and the demand is HUGE ("hi can we put the final two weeks of hundreds of courses online? ok great. what about all of our final exams? oh and also, we're still going ahead with the Spring term in May, right? except it'll be 100% online...and if this keeps going, we need all of our fall courses online too....") so I have no fear of job security. Just need something to keep the kids busy...maybe they should try soaping?

28 confirmed cases in NZ - ALL from people coming in via air. So the Prime Minister has, since yesterday, closed our borders to non NZ residents. Those citizens that are returning home for overseas have to self-isolate for 14 days. We've had no community transmissions reported at all, only these cases that have 'arrived' in the country. The PM is trying to nip it in the bud now - as we can see how quickly it has spread in other countries. We have a national health website set up with all information required so that people have the facts.

So thankful for the ignore button.

As to the Topic, Cases in my state have doubled each day for the last 2 days, and this morning, hit both of my neighboring counties. I have a high risk person in my household and I caught what I think is a bad cold last Friday so not only am I quarantining myself to my house, but to my room as well because my husband cannot get sick (Immunosuppressants). Have lots of soap here but also lysoling surfaces I touch to try and keep this cold from him.

My family is doing as well as can be expected, considering the events happening in the world currently. I had begun to become concerned about the covid 19 virus once I saw it was starting to spread beyond China and saw the numbers in countries such as Italy and South Korea starting to rise, so about mid Feb I started adding little extras to my grocery shopping list. I told my husband that if I was wrong and this all blew over, that the worst thing that happened was that I would have less shopping to do for a couple of months as our basics would be covered. Fortunately due to my pre purchases, I have been able to avoid for the most part the frantic frenzied shopping that has been going on for the last couple of weeks. I go out early mornings and shop smaller stores to get fresh vegetable, but that is all I really need currently. They are usually not too crowded compared to the larger chain stores so I feel more comfortable being there.
My husband is working from home now, as of yesterday, although he has not been back to work since last week. His co-worker returned from California this weekend and was supposed to go into quarantine for 2 weeks as a precaution, but he refused and insisted on working. We have immune compromised people in my family and so my husband refused to go to work. Head office found out that the co-worker was working and insisted he not be there for 2 weeks, so he was sent home and he is now implying my husband was the one who ratted on him. (passive aggressive facebook post) It was not my husband who called head office, but I sure am happy someone did. We all need to follow the rules and safety guidelines to prevent potential spread of this disease even if it comes at an inconvenience.
My daughter and her boyfriend are now sick. Might just be a flu, but who knows. Getting testing is nearly impossible so I am sure unless they develop symptoms that require hospitalization they will never know for sure. Both have been told by their employers to stay home for 2 weeks. My daughter is being paid, but her boyfriend just started a new job and is not. Both live cheque to cheque as it is, so this will be extremely difficult for them. I have already delivered about 2 weeks+ of groceries and supplies to them so that they have no reason to leave their suite currently and potentially endanger anyone who might be compromised. I have another big care package for them that I will deliver to their door when I am sure we will be going into a lockdown situation and they are finishing up what they have already. It should keep them going for another month if they don't go on a binge fest. I just hope that at the end of this, my husband will still have a job to go to as there is so much that is still unknown of what will be the full outcome of this all. Some businesses will for sure not make it through even short shut downs.
I am feeling grateful to be in a position where we can be home and isolate ourselves fairly well to remove a lot of our risks. I feel such compassion for the people who will not have that luxury. I can see it on the faces of some of our grocery clerks, that they are feeling the stress....partially from dealing with the intense panic shopping going on and dealing with angry customers snapping at them because some shelves are bare, and partially from having to be around so many people when we are being told to self isolate as much as possible. I sure hope the stores give them a bonus with all the profit they are making from this madness as they will have earned it. I am also worried about all the people in health care who will be putting themselves at risk since there is not enough protective gear to keep them all safe if things get as intense as they are in other parts of the world.
I hope it doesn't get nearly as bad as I am anticipating it could. These kinds of events really have the potential to change the world dramatically. Hopefully for the better, where we all support one another as humans on the same planet, rather than dividing ourselves and pitting country against country. I have seen displays of both so far and hopefully there will be more of the first.

Latest posts

Back