Confuse with colours

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deana73

Reaction score
Im new and a bit confuse with colours
1) what are the differences of mica,pigment,oxides,neon and clay?
Pls give me link if there s any being discussed before

2) which of those colour wont bleed? And recommended to use

3) i goggled pigment and eyeshadow pigments came out. Are those can be used in soap making? I mean the eye shadow colour esp mineral make up

You can search this forum for "micas, colorants, oxides" etc and come up with many, many threads. It will just require a lot of reading. You can also check out many of the soap suppliers' websites to find out how much colorant to use. I wouldn't use eyeshadow pigments unless it also mentions soap. There are multiple mica suppliers on the web that also have a soapmaker following: TKB, the Conservatorie, Nurture Supply, Brambleberry has a few, most of the big names have the usual colorants (oxides and micas, titanium dioxide, clay, etc.)

ETA: I would recommend just a basic Oxide/Ultramarine pack for a newbie. They typically withstand the cold process well without morphing or fading. Micas are a little trickier. You really need to do a lot of digging to determine which blues, purples, etc. don't fade or morph in cold process. Don't buy a lot until you've experimented with a small amount to make sure it works for you.

Last edited:
Good advise! That's what I did. I purchased sample packs from both TKB and Brambleberry and am experimenting with them. I make little samples with the extra batter each time I make a batch just to see how they come out before I commit to a making a whole batch with that color/pigment/oxide. Like kharmon says, the micas are tricky (which I've already found out).

Scroll, to the bottom of the page and read about colours in the links.

Back