Cleaning Tips !! Got Any Good Ones To Share ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I thought I would start a thread on cleaning tips . We are all busy and anything that makes cleaning or laundry easier and quicker will give us more time to make soap :D

1. I carry a damp rag with me when I vacuum, if I see something that needs a wipe , I can do it right then.

For windows, mirrors, car windows a spray bottle with a 50% solution of white vinegar and newspapers does the trick. Anyone have tips for soap scum on the glass door of shower? I don't like to use chemicals and vinegar just doesn't quite cut it.

Have you tried a Mr. Clean sponge or lemon juice and baking soda or table salt ?

Kitn

Shaving cream on the mirrors in your bathroom...
Doesn't take a whole lot, or you'll be trying to buff it in for days...don't ask me how I know this.

Just a tiny bit, like a quarter size to start out with, on a rag, preferably dry, & buff into the mirror. It will keep your mirror fog free for quite a while.

I hat getting out of the shower & the mirrors all fogged up :roll:

I absolutley hate cleaning so I try to think of ways to make it easier. I use microfiber cleaning cloths in the bathroom to keep it looking halfway decent.

I have a blue one for the mirror and a hot pink one for the counter or everywhere else. Inbetween regular cleanings I wipe the mirror after a shower with the glass cloth. You do this while it's damp and it cleans it up right away. Then I use the pink one to wipe down the counter every morning. Just hang to dry and reuse. Put them in the wash every week and air dry. I also buy those flushable Method bathroom cloths for the toilet and then flush them.

I also try to straighten up every morning before I do any projects. It doesn't always work but I don't feel so guilty.

My other tactic is to let the house get messy enough where my husband can't stand it and then he cleans it himself!

as I have animals, the vacuum cleaner holds a lot of animal hair; which get stinky when it sits there for some time.
So I suck up some laundry detergent (powder). Makes to whole house smell nice when vacuuming.
Pop half a lemon in your microwave and turn it on the highest stand for 1 minute. Makes all the grease come right off.

Define "cleaning"... just kidding.

I bought some cheap hand towells and cut them in half. Use them with a little Endust (not PLEDGE!!) on my swiffer dry mop. Collects dust just as well and you can throw in the washer. Saves $$ to not buy the disposables.

Rubbing a damp rubber dish glove against fabric surfaces (sofas, car seats, etc) is great for getting pet hair out.

I keep those disposable clorox whipes in my bathroom above the toilet.

I tend to get a lot of hairspray on the bathroom mirrors so instead of scrubbing and scrubbing I use a scrub sponge on it first and then a newspaper.

I bought a small squiggy to clean my windows with, especially the one above the sink.

I've head, but always forget to do, to clean your ceiling fans with mineral oil, then the next time you clean them the dust doesn't go flying everywhere.

Just yesterday my husband had a paint brush laying on his desk, I picked it up while surfing the net and used it to clean the keyboard....now it's mine:)

I buy cheap packets of baby wipes, and keep a pack in every room, and in my car.
When I see something that needs wiping, I just get a baby wipe and do it. I use these all the time, and they are great for cleaning the bathroom floor, when you don't want to get the whole mop and bucket out.
I am also a clean as I go-er, that way there is no huge mess to deal with at anytime.

x

to clean and freshen microwave:

boil 1 cup of water with a shot of lemon jiuce. let it steammmm up, then when it's cool grease and stuck on food comes right off, and it smells clean.

i pour the leftove juice/water into my bathroom sink and tub drain and it helps cut soap residue.

Hic....

I have mentioned this before. I was told how some lady became a very great house cleaner:
Everything she needed went into bucket, window cleaner, spot remover , rags etc and softdrink bottle with straw and vodka. Then she got busy to loud pumping music.
Hic !
:wink: :wink: :wink: :roll: :wink:

ChrissyB said:
I would love to hire a housekeeper.
But then DH would ask me what do I do all day.

I make soap all day.

Actually, This thread sparked a convo between DH and I and we came to the conclusion that we would get a housekeeper once a week. I had help when I worked outside of my house, but didn't think I needed it now that I'm home all day. I think I work more now.

angbaby4974 said:
I love it! I've done it!
I swear we were sisters in another life!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My favorite tips?

No top sheets, just duvets on the beds, easier to make and much neater.

Keep a vacuum on each floor.

Open cabinets in the kitchen FORCE you to keep everything organized or it will look like crap.

Laundry as a family affair - we order pizza or Chinese, or make sandwiches and margaritas, a coupe of Netflix movies and we do laundry, together, folding, cycling, hanging, ironing. It only takes a couple of hours to do 4 or 5 loads and the ugly part, folding and putting away is much easier.

Do windows inside/outside on 4/1 and 10/1, or close (weekend). I do inside while he does outside, goes fast, we can make hideous faces and tongue the glass, gross things like that. The kids thought we were nuts and doing them twice a year they never got that bad.

I forgot one:

Grind up a lemon or lime in the garbage disposal once a week or better yet...just before company is coming.

Back