Bubble Scoops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh oh... I broke my ice cream scoop. I stripped the gear on it; hopefully, I can fix it. I also bought what was supposed to be a 1 oz. scoop and 1) it's more like 2 oz and 2) it's an expensive piece of crap. I will be returning it this afternoon.

So hard to find a good SOLID ONE !
I returned the one that was crappy (which really surprised be because I got it at a restaurant supply store). Couldn't even get a single scoop out of it. The "broken" one has been fixed. I went back to the shop where I bought it and one of the girls there showed me how to fix it. It's a good solid one, really.

I read sometimes they just pop out of the little hole where the 'swing' attaches. But I have never had it happen.
I hate ice cream scoops in general.. only because I can never get it to look so perfect !
And now that I have thumb issues that is not going to get better :( age, hate it sometimes

The ones I have don't have the swing type lever (the one I returned did). They have a spring and a gear. While scooping, the gear slipped a couple of notches so the little scraper thingy was straight up in the middle of the air.

Attachments

• 20180630_085202_HDR_resized.jpg
    20180630_085202_HDR_resized.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 17
It's too hot to be soaping today (32ºC or about 90ºF) so John suggested I make more bubble scoops instead. I almost ran out at last week's market. So far, the first batch of 3 is on the rack to dry. First batch is Caribbean Escape, made with a free sample from Candora (smells amazing!); second batch will be scented with Karma and coloured purple and orange. I'm not sure what the third batch will be, maybe Sugar Plum Fairy. The first batch turned out absolutely perfect, easy to scoop (no more broken ice cream scoop) and looks great. I now know how much glycerin to use for this area. We have pretty low humidity on a normal basis but right now, it's really dry, sitting at 18%.

Do you have to use glycerin? I have been looking and all the recipes i have seem list it. I have never used it before.

From my reading, glycerin helps stabilize the bubbles, so I would think it's a fairly important ingredient in the bubble scoops. I wouldn't sub it for anything else.

I finished the three batches I wanted to make this afternoon. I'm super happy with how they've turned out. From the bottom to the top: Caribbean Escape, English Roses, and Karma.

20180728_163530_HDR.jpg

From my reading, glycerin helps stabilize the bubbles, so I would think it's a fairly important ingredient in the bubble scoops. I wouldn't sub it for anything else.

I finished the three batches I wanted to make this afternoon. I'm super happy with how they've turned out. From the bottom to the top: Caribbean Escape, English Roses, and Karma.

View attachment 31384
They look great!

Hi all - I have seen recipes with one of the following ingredients:

SODIUM COCOYL ISETHIONATE SCI
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS)
sodium lauryl sulfate (SLES
sodium lauryl sulfoacetate (SLSa)

I would appreciate any thoughts from those already making these scoops as to which of the above ingredients they find most effective, or any disasters they have experienced so I might avoid them!

Thanking all in advance

Hi all - I have seen recipes with one of the following ingredients:

SODIUM COCOYL ISETHIONATE SCI
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS)
sodium lauryl sulfate (SLES
sodium lauryl sulfoacetate (SLSa)

I would appreciate any thoughts from those already making these scoops as to which of the above ingredients they find most effective, or any disasters they have experienced so I might avoid them!

Thanking all in advance
The recipe I use uses SLSa.

Latest posts

Back