Bubble Scoops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I've ignored bubble scoops for a long time because 1. I don't like baths 2. didn't look interesting 3. couldn't possible be more fun than making soap.
But now I'm curious; what are they and why are they fun to make?

Ok, I've ignored bubble scoops for a long time because 1. I don't like baths 2. didn't look interesting 3. couldn't possible be more fun than making soap.
But now I'm curious; what are they and why are they fun to make?

They're a solid bubble bath that you can mold and cut or you can scoop with an ice cream scoop to make individual portions. I love my baths but I don't like my bathtub much. They're a lot of fun to make because they don't have a cure time. They're quick to make but they take a couple of days to dry, depending on your humidity and the amount of glycerin in them.

They're also fun because there's so much opportunity for play... scent and colour... even presentation. I have a feeling they'll be a good seller around here. Already, out of the three batches I made this weekend, half of the bubble scoops are already spoken for. I hope that's a sign of things to come.

Also, besides rolling and cutting or making scoops you can make them with a moon cake press. These were done for a friend of my daughter. bubblebars.jpg

Holy crap that is a lot of bubbles !
Look at this, sadly the original video is gone.

How does the FO hold up in these?
It’s probably a silly question-
But does the scent linger after making the bubble bath?
Can I sit in the bubbles and still smell it? [emoji848]
I have made many bubble bars, and I say yes. Actually if I only want the small in my bath, I add the FO directly to the water.

And what is a moon cake press?

Like this:

If you get one, check, because they have two sizes. Personally I like the smaller version. But I noticed more people do the big size.

SLSA is pricey, but not as bad as at WSP. I bought 3 pounds from Two Wild Hares on Etsy for $11/lb. I see SunRiseArts gave you a link for moon cake presses. I use the 50 gram size (and I don't fill it completely) for bubble bars and 75 or 100 for salt cakes. I don't really make bath bombs, but people who do often use larger than that for those.

TWH prices are the best i've found
@dibbles - what are salt cakes? also- that packaging of the moon/bubble cakes- gorgeous!
Salt cakes are basically Epsom salts mixed with a little baking soda and water and pressed in the moon press and used in the bath as a salt soak. I grind my Epsom salts to make the details sharper. In the picture, the pink ones were not ground. Here is the first video I watched (with a recipe), and there are many more on YouTube now.

Moon Cake_0517.JPG

Salt cakes are basically Epsom salts mixed with a little baking soda and water and pressed in the moon press and used in the bath as a salt soak. I grind my Epsom salts to make the details sharper. In the picture, the pink ones were not ground. Here is the first video I watched (with a recipe), and there are many more on YouTube now.
View attachment 30901

What a difference the grinding of Epson salts makes in the end product. I never would have realized! I intend to make some of these for my granddaughter. She has been using Epson salts for bath soaks since she read it can help with acne, which she has all over her back and chest area as well as on the face.

Incidentally, she has had improvement with the salt soaps, too. But that's not all she uses, so it's hard to say what any one product is helping more than any other.

What a difference the grinding of Epson salts makes in the end product. I never would have realized! I intend to make some of these for my granddaughter. She has been using Epson salts for bath soaks since she read it can help with acne, which she has all over her back and chest area as well as on the face.
Incidentally, she has had improvement with the salt soaps, too. But that's not all she uses, so it's hard to say what any one product is helping more than any other.

I'm glad she has had some improvement, whatever the reason. I have on my to do list a salt bar with AC and tea tree. A family member feels like the bar soap I've given him with AC, kaolin and tea tree helps with his skin issues - not acne though.

The salt cakes each have a little less than 1 cup of Epsom salts, so your granddaughter would want to add additional Epsom salts to her bath for therapeutic benefits. They do feel fancy though :), and make the bath smell nice.

I would probably guess that Complexions also has a jetted tub. That's pretty typical results with jets. One time I started the jets far too soon, and ended up with a bathtub full of bubbles and very little water.

My scoops run about 50-60 cents to make and I sell for $2 (that's 1oz size scoops, about right for a single bath). I could probably go up to $3 each for a better profit margin, but I discovered people will impulse buy scoops to make an even bill - eg. they buy 1 bar of soap for $6 and 2 scoops for an even $10 bill, or buy 3 soaps for $18 and a bubble scoop for an even $20. Bubble scoops aren't as popular here (we're 4 hours away from the nearest Lush), but bath bombs are huge for some crazy reason, so making a $2 purchase to check it out is pretty reasonable. Then they're sucked in because these things are awesome and they want more. bwahwahwa. [that's my evil conquer the world with bubble scoops laugh]

Sorry, not jetted tub here!

@dibbles what do you color yours with ?
I only have Mica but I have yet to see a recipe that would add PS80 to the mix so the micas don't stick to the tub.

BB are so big around here, a Salt cube might be a better idea and go hand in hand with my Salt Bars .

Which recipe are you using? That's amazing!

I posted the link in one of my first posts in this thread. It's the Nature's Garden Mango Sorbet Bubble Scoops, but I substituted SLSa for the SCI. I use a little mesh bag that I put my bubble bars in and hang from the faucet under the running water, that helps create agitation for better bubbles. I then swish my hands in the tub pretty vigorously once it's full. Doing those 2 things helps get a lot of bubbles that last for a whole bath!

@dibbles what do you color yours with ?
I only have Mica but I have yet to see a recipe that would add PS80 to the mix so the micas don't stick to the tub.
BB are so big around here, a Salt cube might be a better idea and go hand in hand with my Salt Bars .

My recipe for bubble bars has PS80 in it and I use mica for colorant. For salt cakes, I use liquid soap colorant.

I posted the link in one of my first posts in this thread. It's the Nature's Garden Mango Sorbet Bubble Scoops, but I substituted SLSa for the SCI. I use a little mesh bag that I put my bubble bars in and hang from the faucet under the running water, that helps create agitation for better bubbles. I then swish my hands in the tub pretty vigorously once it's full. Doing those 2 things helps get a lot of bubbles that last for a whole bath!

I think SLSa makes the difference. I have a jetted tub, but don't turn on the jets when I use bubble bars and get the same kind of bubbles as you do. And they do last for the entire bath. It feels so decadent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read all of the posts, so if anyone else has suggested emulsified Epsom salt scrub using M&P, sorry.:) I have an easy recipe. If you want it just pm me.

Latest posts

Back