Bubble Scoops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would probably guess that Complexions also has a jetted tub. That's pretty typical results with jets. One time I started the jets far too soon, and ended up with a bathtub full of bubbles and very little water.

My scoops run about 50-60 cents to make and I sell for $2 (that's 1oz size scoops, about right for a single bath). I could probably go up to $3 each for a better profit margin, but I discovered people will impulse buy scoops to make an even bill - eg. they buy 1 bar of soap for $6 and 2 scoops for an even $10 bill, or buy 3 soaps for $18 and a bubble scoop for an even $20. Bubble scoops aren't as popular here (we're 4 hours away from the nearest Lush), but bath bombs are huge for some crazy reason, so making a $2 purchase to check it out is pretty reasonable. Then they're sucked in because these things are awesome and they want more. bwahwahwa. [that's my evil conquer the world with bubble scoops laugh]

The only recipe I tried that is not to soft, even with cutting down the glycerin is the one from the Moon Cake Cult files. The other two, one being a recipe from Lovin' Soap will not harden up. I now have them on very low in my dehydrator.
@amd I love your thinking! When I calculated out the cost of mine, on the high side my 1oz scoops came out at $.47. That is purchasing SLSA in 5lb bags which saves a little and no shipping, I picked up at EBC

Last edited:
Thanks! I am pretty pleased with that recipe with my tweak..... but now to make another tweak! It's super humid and rainy every single day now, so they got soft, even in a closed package! It seemed to affect the bubble factor once they got soft. Gonna try messing with the glycerin content, see if I can't get something to work that wont turn soft in this weather. If not then I will be making super small batches so I only have a couple at a time to use up.

Im in Miami and I had the same problem. I put a small de-humidifier in my soap room and they got rock hard with the TWH recipe and I packaged them in cello bags and sealed them so no air could get to them. . They did not go soft on me. But if I do not package them they do. Now with that being said. That only happens to me when I make scoops. If I roll it out and cut them out with a cookie cutter like in the attached picture they are rock hard without the dehumidifier.

Attachments

• Bubble wands.JPG
    Bubble wands.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 20
My order from Voyageur arrived yesterday so I can play today. I made my first ever batch of Bubble Scoops today; they're coloured with Merlot Mica and scented with Black Raspberry Vanilla. I dusted them with a bit of gold glitter. They look positively edible and smell amazing. I will definitely have to put a warning label on them so people aren't tempted to taste them!

@amd , that recipe came together beautifully! I'm happy you recommended it. Now, I want to make more! And I want a bath!

Attachments

• DSCN1790.JPG
    DSCN1790.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 30
Next time I make mine I am cutting down the glycerin to half the amount and see what happens or sticking to the recipe in the Moon Cult files. The one's made with Amanda's recipe from Lovin' Soap still are not dry enough to package.

@amd are you shrink wrapping each individual bubble scoop? That is a pesky job and is one reason I quite pouring, wrapping and labeling my little flower soaps. Guess it would be an okay job to do at the parents...pesky pesky pesky

How does the FO hold up in these?
It’s probably a silly question-
But does the scent linger after making the bubble bath?
Can I sit in the bubbles and still smell it? [emoji848]
I find it doubtful, when you figure how many gallons of water they are getting diluted with. If memory servers me well I think a standard size tub is 25-50 gallons of water. I fragranced mine well over 6%, not telling what percentage, since I am not going to set myself up for telling how bad it is of me. The fo I used can go to 25% in cat 9. When I tested one in my sink, due to no bathtub, I really did not smell anything except when I was crumbling them up and the water initially coming into contact with the bubble scoop.

Dang, these things are fun to make! Unfortunately, I need more ingredients before I can make more. Z (John's boss) and a friend stopped in and now the friend wants 6 of them, in addition to Z buying an entire batch! I might not have any left by the time my next market comes around.

In the photo - Black Raspberry Vanilla, Lavender, Champaka (back)

Attachments

• DSCN1795.JPG
    DSCN1795.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Dang, these things are fun to make! Unfortunately, I need more ingredients before I can make more. Z (John's boss) and a friend stopped in and now the friend wants 6 of them, in addition to Z buying an entire batch! I might not have any left by the time my next market comes around.

In the photo - Black Raspberry Vanilla, Lavender, Champaka (back)

What a wonderful problem to have! Those really look fantastic [emoji7]

My scoops run about 50-60 cents to make and I sell for $2 (that's 1oz size scoops, about right for a single bath). I could probably go up to $3 each for a better profit margin, but I discovered people will impulse buy scoops to make an even bill - eg. they buy 1 bar of soap for $6 and 2 scoops for an even $10 bill, or buy 3 soaps for $18 and a bubble scoop for an even $20. Bubble scoops aren't as popular here (we're 4 hours away from the nearest Lush), but bath bombs are huge for some crazy reason, so making a $2 purchase to check it out is pretty reasonable. Then they're sucked in because these things are awesome and they want more. bwahwahwa. [that's my evil conquer the world with bubble scoops laugh]

It's interesting that bath bombs are huge there. I saw two vendors at the market I'm at who have bath bombs and one told me she hadn't sold a single one at that market. I'll try the bubble scoops to see how they go. I've already found a lovely glass bowl I can put them in and I've already started designing the packaging for them. I'm thinking of a small baggie with a hang type foldover tag, along the lines of this one:
https://depositphotos.com/111452794/stock-illustration-white-black-blank-plastic-pocket.html

How does the FO hold up in these?
It’s probably a silly question-
But does the scent linger after making the bubble bath?
Can I sit in the bubbles and still smell it? [emoji848]

I just had a bath and used a couple of the odd bits. They work great! I could still smell the scent but it wasn't at all strong, just pleasant. As Carolyn (cmzaha) said, they get quite diluted in a tub full of water.

I did get quite a lot of bubbles, considering I didn't even use one whole bubble scoop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made smaller scoops and put 4-5 in a plastic sundae cup with a plastic domed lid. Then labeled the bottom of the cup. Got those from Webstaurant. I've also made larger ones and put them shrink wrapped in small frosted favor boxes I got on clearance at Michaels.

I just started using the saran wrap/heat shrink to wrap them individually. When I sell them, I use paper bags like these that have a small foldover flap and put a label sticker to seal it. The label has my contact info, ingredients, and directions for use on them. (If I can add a screen shot of my label I will... still at work with the wonky network...)
upload_2018-6-25_16-39-40.png

I can get 4-5 1oz scoops in a bag. If people buy more then I use a paper sundae cup & lid like Shari does and wrap the label around the cup. Bubble scoops aren't a huge seller for me right now (it's summer, it's hot, no one wants to take a bath) so I have them out at shows alacarte. When I get closer to Christmas season I will pre-package them as sets. A friend of mine suggested getting the large 2 piece clear ornaments and packaging them that way for Christmas. I have to remember to try that!

Back