Breaking out like crazy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading this just gave me a hot flash. Or was I already having one? One can never tell at this stage. 48 1/2 here and I can no longer expect my periods like clockwork. Iā€™ll be thrilled to leave them behind altogether.

I experience occasional severe bouts of anxiety. Stuff that would merely cause me to worry a little now throw me into a mental and emotional vortex. It lasts for a week, then dissipates, then returns. Not feeling like I can emotionally regulate is discomfiting. Itā€™s weird. And annoying.

I am laughing my buns off! Been there, done that...well, in some cases still doing that. I have progressive lens and still use a pair of reading glasses AND the magnifying mirror for some of the chin hairs (they do finally get white, or at least some of them, and then they are harder to see)...or sewing on black material by hand. I gave up on all makeup years ago when I had to apply mascara by braille rather than seeing my eyelashes...still haven't found them! Lucky for me my hubby didn't divorce me while I was certifiable...he was probably to scared of me at the time. I started early...as in my family...and there were a few years when I almost checked myself in to the loony bin. And then all of a sudden it stopped. Like a faucet. Biggest problem was dry skin which is why I started making my own soap. All moisturizing products feel gummy on my skin so I've learned to embrace the dryness. I am lucky I have the oily skin of my father so dry to me isn't quite as bad as dry to others. In the past I've always shaved my legs daily in the summer, my theory being that sooner or later I will get all of them as time goes by, since without my glasses I can't see them. This year I noticed that I hardly have any hair on my legs. When did that happen? Over this winter? Ten years ago? For sure it hasn't changed on my chin! I'll probably still be plucking them at 90! And that one weird one on my right eyebrow that not only grows long but curls like a handlebar mustache!

I experience occasional severe bouts of anxiety. Stuff that would merely cause me to worry a little now throw me into a mental and emotional vortex. It lasts for a week, then dissipates, then returns. Not feeling like I can emotionally regulate is discomfiting. Itā€™s weird. And annoying.
Check your vitamin D levels. One of my family members was having severe anxiety, and turned out to be extremely low on D (very common these days after many folks spent the last year indoors). Heavy supplementation helped almost immediately.

@Quilter99755 Funny you mention the lack of hair on your legs. The hair on my forearms is all but completely disappeared. Hair, in general, from head to toe, behaves and sprouts differently these days. My eyebrows have migrated to continents unknown. The hair on my head developed a slight waviness.
Check your vitamin D levels. One of my family members was having severe anxiety, and turned out to be extremely low on D (very common these days after many folks spent the last year indoors). Heavy supplementation helped almost immediately.
I love how helpful you are! šŸ„° I actually get plenty of sun (walk the dogs twice a day, spend the morning doing some gardening, long walk once or twice a week Sunday stroll on the beach with my hubby every Saturday morning, etc.), so itā€™s most likely not a vitamin D sufficiency.

I do think itā€™s a combination of things, hormones being one contributor. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Even when getting lots of sun, I still had vitamin D deficiency. Both my husband and I were tested, & I am periodically due to age, meds, and an abundance of caution, I suppose. Both of us are taking daily D supplements due to deficiency. D is needed to absorb Calcium which becomes very important as we age, particularly in post menopausal women. But for men as well, so don't forget the guys when considering D supplements as it plays a role in a healthy Prostate, and who wants their loved one to have to face prostate cancer?

And for anyone with chronic kidney disease, even at the very low level, D is important.

Also certain prescription drugs lead to D deficiencies, so when you are taking them, D levels should be monitored, although I know that doesn't always happen.

And although sun-screen is strongly encouraged to prevent skin cancer, it does reduce absorption of D through the skin. Other factors, such as where we live (where we get our sun exposure) because the UV rays are different in different areas of the earth, how much melanin is in our skin (it varies with different people & skin color) as melanin reduces UVR available for conversion to D.

But even so, as a woman with fair skin, who rarely wears sunscreen, I still am D deficient without a supplement. And I do spend time outdoors. Rarely enough to get a sunburn, but supposedly enough to get enough D. But I don't.

Some references:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2912737/https://www.health.harvard.edu/stay...r-health-breaking-old-rules-raising-new-hopeshttps://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161618#benefitshttps://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/15050-vitamin-d--vitamin-d-deficiencyhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946242/

@Quilter99755 Funny you mention the lack of hair on your legs. The hair on my forearms is all but completely disappeared. Hair, in general, from head to toe, behaves and sprouts differently these days. My eyebrows have migrated to continents unknown. The hair on my head developed a slight waviness.
I've also lost all the hair on my arms! Why oh why doesn't that work with the chin hairs?? šŸ˜†

My doctor was certain that the anxiety, loss of eyebrows (which I also had for a bit), and sleep problems were a thyroid issue... but that all tested normal for me.

I also get a lot of sunshine, but it turned out my D was still pretty low. Supplementation with D and magnesium has been the best for me. I pray you find what works for you! šŸ™

I never thought to mention the hairs on my arms because I don't ever remember having any to speak of. Now, however, I get one or two very thin, very white, very curly ones that I can only see once they get about an inch long. And yes, @AliOop why can't it work on chin hairs...they seem to propagate like rabbits. I've always had a case of "peach fuzz" on my face, which now has decided to grow longer than what is natural on a peach. I just ignore the damned stuff or I'd go batty trying to deal with it.

I finally figured out that when I can't change things I just have to embrace them with lots of laughter. I have a great relationship with my doctor and she lets me know what I can help or that which I need to accept! She shakes her head at my humor but says it's a great sign for living longer.

I'm glad that I did not break out during menopause, since I had years of that crap in my earlier years. Once in a while I might break out, which I usually cause by what I stuff in my mouth. Keep your sanity as it should eventually all go away.

I had no idea my arm hairs were diminished. I had not even noticed until today, and only because of this thread and taking a look. I still get a couple of rogue long curly hairs that grow in on my non-dominant arm that are so thick I can pull them out with my bare hands. I don't even need tweezers. But the leg hairs going away, no, not yet, if ever. I would love if that happened. I hate the scratchy itchy feel of leg hairs at a certain length. I'd love not to have to feel that pesky leg hair stubble!

I hate the scratchy itchy feel of leg hairs at a certain length. I'd love not to have to feel that pesky leg hair stubble!
Being in Alaska for 30+ years was a solution for the stubble. It never got warm enough where I lived to wear shorts so I just never bothered to shave except for the times where we would be in a hotel with a swimming pool! Leg hair stubble isn't a bother under levis for the most part anyway or maybe it's just that one week's worth of growth where is finally lays down and doesn't itch.
In Idaho I wear shorts, capris or a skirt at least 6-7 months of the year so it was a daily thing to shave. For some reason it appears that my leg hairs gave up the ghost this year...a few black hairs right around my knees and a few white ones here and there. It is a blessing since I can hardly find the razor in the shower these days without glasses...let alone the leg hairs! And I don't necessarily feel the stubble? It only took about 65 years for that to happen, so don't despair ladies...live long enough and it might happen to you too.

What is it with hair and hormones?

@AliOop I've turned my eyebrow maintenance over to my daughter. I can no longer do them myself safely because I canā€™t see the darn hairs.
What a great idea! If only my daughter didn't live 7 hours away. šŸ˜­ I ended up buying pre-paid waxing sessions at one of those wax-only salons. Went in yesterday and the place was insane - full of college girls getting their Brazilians before the holiday weekend. I'll stick with the brow and lip wax, thankyouverymuch.

Back