Bath & Body Play Time!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't have to be pretty to work well.

Sure doesn't. But I just got out of the shower where I washed with soap that I MADE, put on deodorant that I MADE, shaved with shaving soap that I MADE, and put on lotion that I MADE. All I lack now is syndet bars and toothpaste. Not sure I want to make my own toothpaste though.

I have never worked with babassu oil. Now I'm intrigued.

The folks in my deodorant thread insisted that it was the way to go for deodorant. It seems to have some similarities to coconut oil but I guess it's more easily absorbed into the skin. It has a light and not-so-greasy feel to it, which gets along well with my skin.

Toothpaste is easy! It was the gateway drug that got me into soap, by way of butters, serums, scrubs, lotion bars, massage balm, pain rub, M&P soap, and finally, here!

I'd only be interested in making toothpaste if I could make fluoride toothpaste tablets. I love the zero waste stuff! They sell them at our nearest zero-waste supermarket, though, so it's probably less wasteful to buy there rather than buying all the plastic packaged ingredients and making it at home. I have that problem with a lot of the things I'd like to make- syndet shampoo bars, for example. Ten bits of packaging in order to make ten syndet bars... can't quite justify it....

It doesn't have to be pretty to work well. I have never worked with babassu oil. Now I'm intrigued.
I love Babassu. It is so nice in....everything! Versatile like coconut, but silkier and quick to absorb.
Sure doesn't. But I just got out of the shower where I washed with soap that I MADE, put on deodorant that I MADE, shaved with shaving soap that I MADE, and put on lotion that I MADE.

Yay! Isn't that an amazing feeling?!

Sure doesn't. But I just got out of the shower where I washed with soap that I MADE, put on deodorant that I MADE, shaved with shaving soap that I MADE, and put on lotion that I MADE. All I lack now is syndet bars and toothpaste. Not sure I want to make my own toothpaste though.

The folks in my deodorant thread insisted that it was the way to go for deodorant. It seems to have some similarities to coconut oil but I guess it's more easily absorbed into the skin. It has a light and not-so-greasy feel to it, which gets along well with my skin.

PLUS babassu does not stain clothing like coconut and most of the other oils do. Stains under the armpits is a big concern for some of us, and finding an oil that doesn't stain was a real plus!

There is a thread on tooth soap, that might interest you. https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-for-teeth.60591/

A while back, I made a batch of Foaming Bath Butter base and another batch of Buttercream Bubble Bath base (both DIY Bath & Body recipes).

@Misschief I bought the Buttercream Bubble Bath recipe a couple months ago and tried my first batch yesterday. It's super foamy- is that normal? I whipped it last night, so the pic attached is after sitting for 12 hours or so. Did I add too much air?

Attachments

• 20190414_112956.jpg
    20190414_112956.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 50
Is that the base? Or is that the base after you've whipped it up for final use?

Here's my bubble bath base, waiting to be whipped up for the final product. I'll be honest, I'm still on the fence about the Buttercream Bubble Bath. I think you really have to follow the directions to the letter. I don't think I let mine cook enough the first time and then overwhipped it. It deflated and really doesn't look appealing.

20190414_084353_HDR.jpg

Is that the base? Or is that the base after you've whipped it up for final use?

Here's my bubble bath base, waiting to be whipped up for the final product. I'll be honest, I'm still on the fence about the Buttercream Bubble Bath. I think you really have to follow the directions to the letter. I don't think I let mine cook enough the first time and then overwhipped it. It deflated and really doesn't look appealing.

View attachment 38330
That is the base after whipping, the final product. It looks like I might have mis-measured or something, because my base never got that thick. It was more like a gel consistancy. Oh well- the kids will still like it!

Isn't that an incredible feeling?
Yay! Isn't that an amazing feeling?!

It is pretty cool. I got into this because I was tired of crappy body wash and didn't like paying $7 a bar for good soap. But you use your stuff and you just think "you know, I made this". Funny thing is that I've probably spent more money now than I ever would have paying $7 a bar...

Toothpaste is easy! It was the gateway drug that got me into soap, by way of butters, serums, scrubs, lotion bars, massage balm, pain rub, M&P soap, and finally, here!

That's an interesting journey. I wouldn't have thought of toothpaste as the first thing to try homemade.

I'd only be interested in making toothpaste if I could make fluoride toothpaste tablets. I love the zero waste stuff! They sell them at our nearest zero-waste supermarket, though, so it's probably less wasteful to buy there rather than buying all the plastic packaged ingredients and making it at home. I have that problem with a lot of the things I'd like to make- syndet shampoo bars, for example. Ten bits of packaging in order to make ten syndet bars... can't quite justify it....

Less waste is nice, but you mention fluoride which would be something I would want if I made toothpaste. I don't know how hard it is to come by.

I bought a syndet shampoo bar and it came in a box, which when you opened it the bar was sitting on top of a "nest" of shredded paper. Seemed like a lot of waste for one bar, but at least it was all biodegradable. I find it really difficult to avoid making waste, the structure of society seems to make it inevitable. I could probably still try a little harder than I do.

There is a thread on tooth soap, that might interest you. https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-for-teeth.60591/

Thanks for that, sounds interesting. Using soap for teeth sounds tricky, I wouldn't want it to taste awful and gag on it when I tried to brush.

Edit: @earlene I read the thread (yay, I actually read through something!) and now I'm kinda interested. I'd never really thought about whether soap would be good or bad for your teeth, I just assumed people didn't use it because it would taste disgusting. But I guess you guys came up with something that wasn't too bad.

Last edited:
I played with a couple of DIY Bath & Body recipes today. When I bought the Foaming Bath Butter recipe, a free recipe was included, for Marshmallow Cream Body Wash cubes. I've been meaning to try it from the first time I read the recipe. I made it today. The cubes will be cut tomorrow and will be dredged in corn starch to make them look like real marshmallows.

I also made another small batch (5 bars) of shampoo bars, this time with Lavender and Chamomile. I really need to buy some more micas.
20190419_142638_HDR.jpg 20190419_155758_HDR.jpg

Having this week off has been fun, relaxing, and productive. I really don't need to make more soap as I have plenty of inventory but I did anyway. I made two batches of soap this week (Poop emoji soap and Salt Soap) and I made these, Foaming Bath Melts. They're made with baking soda, citric acid, cocoa butter and fragrance (Lavender & Basil). The recipe is from the Moon Cake Cult group on Facebook.
20190423_124338_HDR.jpg

I am super curious about these marshmallow soaps! I wish you were US so I could buy some from you - because I totally would. I'm going to ask a generic question because I know you can't share the recipe.... Do they require a lot of specialty ingredients? Like more than needed for bubble bars and shampoo bars? I may wander over and purchase the recipe myself if I don't have to buy a bunch of extra gunk - er, I mean ingredients...

I am super curious about these marshmallow soaps! I wish you were US so I could buy some from you - because I totally would. I'm going to ask a generic question because I know you can't share the recipe.... Do they require a lot of specialty ingredients? Like more than needed for bubble bars and shampoo bars? I may wander over and purchase the recipe myself if I don't have to buy a bunch of extra gunk - er, I mean ingredients...
It's made with the Foaming Bath Butter base and white M&P base with the addition of titanium dioxide, SLSa, cream of tartar and shea butter. Sandra has made the recipe available to all members of the DIY Bath & Body Facebook page. Obviously, I won't share the entire recipe but those are the ingredients.

@amd - I'll be happy to send you some! I made some and they are just ready. They are not as beautiful as @Misschief makes, but you can check them out! I'm not sure that I will make them again, honestly. It wasn't hard, and I had everything that I needed to make them, but I will probably just use the recipe for a sugar scrub base...

Attachments

• Marshmallows.jpg
    Marshmallows.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 36
@amd - I'll be happy to send you some! I made some and they are just ready. They are not as beautiful as @Misschief makes, but you can check them out! I'm not sure that I will make them again, honestly. It wasn't hard, and I had everything that I needed to make them, but I will probably just use the recipe for a sugar scrub base...
They look fine, Deb!

...I'd never really thought about whether soap would be good or bad for your teeth,
Back in the day, many, many moons ago, when we were discussing toothsoap on another forum, many soapers with gingivitus reported that their dentists were all amazed at the improvement to their gums and they needed to come less often. It's a good thing.

BTW: I brush my teeth with liquid soap in a foamer... easy to use, flavor, and tastes a bit better than the hard toothsoap.

I don't have any pictures since it was hair - detangler and Lotion. I did use Abyssinian Oil for the first time. Fractionated coconut oil and BTMS, plus more. The hair detangled is simple and make if for my grandaughter's since they have such thick hair. Also, when they go swimming if I spray it on before they get in it's easy to comb out.

Those look so nice. Great packaging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back