Baby smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verotxu

Reaction score
Hello!

A friend of mine have just become a mom and have asked me to make some soap-bars because of the happy event. She will present them to her closest family.

I will use an easy soap recipe and a heart shape mould but I was wondering about the smell...any help? I am thinking about petit-grain, which, at leat for me, has a sort of baby smell..what do you think?

Btw, the new born is a baby girl...

Cheers

Verotxu

You want to use baby safe EO's - Lavender, Chamomile (which is expensive), unscented works. I believe this is until they are 2 months old then you can use a couple more EO's.

I don't think that I would use any fragrance or essential oils on a newborn. I know that a lot of commercial products are fragranced, but that is them and not me.:grin:

I don't think Verotxu is making soap to be used on the baby herself. Sounds like maybe baby shower gifts or something. They make a lot of baby products scented with lavender so that may make people think of babies when they smell it. Mostly when I think of baby scents, I think baby powder.

You want to use baby safe EO's - Lavender, Chamomile (which is expensive), unscented works. I believe this is until they are 2 months old then you can use a couple more EO's.

I thought they are for the family, just with a baby theme.
I wouldn't advise to use scented bath and body products for at least the first 6 months, except maybe for diaper salve/balm with a small amount of carefully picked EO's when needed.
Soap or other relatively strong cleansers aren't the best choice for such little ones anyway.

I really love alyssum FO from natures garden candles. Very soft and delicate.

I thought they are for the family, just with a baby theme.
I wouldn't advise to use scented bath and body products for at least the first 6 months, except maybe for diaper salve/balm with a small amount of carefully picked EO's when needed.
Soap or other relatively strong cleansers aren't the best choice for such little ones anyway.

I really love alyssum FO from natures garden candles. Very soft and delicate.

After rereading the post, I think you are right it sounds like it's for family!

Personally, I would use EO's in soaps for babies (as noted in my last post, lavender is the one I use). I personally only recommend gentle soaps like Castile, Mostly OO, unscented avocado soap and I also do mention that soap is probably not needed, but if someone wants to use soap, that is their choice and I try to use safe ingredients (just like you would an animal)

Personally, I would not use FO's on babies if anything, due to the unknown ingredients.

I wouldn't use any FO/EO on a baby until at least 6 mos old. I made a lovely bastile (OO, Avocado, Castor) for my granddaughter and no fragrance at all. However, I too think she is look at giving them to family members as gifts. I too would use a light lavender scent.

Hello!
Sorry for the misunderstanding..I will not use it on a baby, my friend wants to give small soaps to her family as a memory of her daughter's birth and have asked me to do the soap bars as a favour.
So seems like lavander is the most popular one! Thanks!

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Soap Making mobile app

There is a fragrance oil called "Huggies" but I could never understand why anybody would want a soap that smells like commercial diapers. ;)

You can infuse olive oil with chamomille and a very delicate apple-like scent will survive saponification, especially if you also use chamomille tea.

And although I realize that this was not your question, I agree - unscented is best for baby for 6 months to a year. If you decide to make some for the baby too, I would go with high olive oil, a little castor, maybe up to 10% either coconut or palm. I have made baby soap using pureed carrots and with goat's milk.

Hi, i am of the opinion that babies do not need any soap. Mine is 7 months and have never used soap on her..

But i like the idea of trying for myself oo, castor and avocado and add some milk powder at trace...never done any milk soap and i think its about time to give it a try...

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Soap Making mobile app

cant wait to try!!

And personally, I am the type whose baby would be eating curry before walking hahaha :) real talk. Two each their own, the beauty of living

Back