Australian Reef Red Clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homesteaders

Reaction score
I finally made a batch using Australian Reef Red Clay in different amounts for each layer (picture below). I was expecting a range from red to light pink, but ended up with shades of brown with only a pinkish tint. I wonder if it was my clay, the way I mixed it, or my oils. This was Hot Process. I often combine yogurt and sodium lactate, and stir in after the cook to make it more fluid. I divided it into three bowls and added different amounts of the clay to each before stirring it into that portion of my soap. I have used that technique with madder root powder to get nice reddish pinks, but it didn't work too well with the clay. Any suggestions?
Australian Reef Red Clay Soap.jpg

Any suggestions? My was biOrigins from www.mysticmomentsuk.com. I know there are color differences among brands of clay. I tried two or three French Green Clays before finding one that was truly green rather than gray.

Your soap looks pink to me.:) I have never used Australian Reef Red clay, but have used French green clay and always get a muted color.

It looks pinker on my computer screen than it really is. I'm okay with the way it turned out. Just not what I expected.

I think it's beautiful. I must be putting way too much in my soap, it is a dark red.
Thank you! How much do you add? For the bottom layer, I only used 1/2 tsp. ppo.

Have you added TD as well?

No TD. It was hot process and some of the non-colored soap from the sides of the crock pot and pans I used for the different layers fell into the mold.

Latest posts

Back