Anyone make soap from Biodiesel Glycerin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that is SAD! I have seen that photo before, his recipe is way off also. We get a lot of lather, we have not had a complaint yet. When I use it to wash my hair it lathers more than shampoo. The difference is that we are using natural vegetable glycerin and the store bought has a lower percentage. Our is a very high percentage. I will check with one of the other makers he had it tested and I will post it later tonight.
Jason

Ok, got the scoop from and old time soap maker who makes bio soap now.
The % of glycerin in bio soap is give/take 40% compared to the commercial 12% (if you get a really really good one, but most are no more than 10%).

The main difference in the two is that the commercial "glycerine" soaps add the glycerine as an afterthought while ours is there as part of the process of separating the esters from the glycerides giving us a rendered or concentrated form if you will.

The is soap made from the separation of the glyceride layers of vegetable oils which gives us a concentrated form of glycerine vs the commercial soaps which only add some glycerin into the process.

As far as the lather I will have to try and snap a pic to show you it lathers like crazy!
Jason

The glycerin does not have a french fry smell the fuel I burn in my truck does. The glycerin takes scent very well and I have not had any complaints. Everyone loves it after they use it. It also works well with shea and olive oil additives. Now I don't know anything about traditional soap making. So I can not make any comparisons to it. It is the best de greaser I have ever used. Since my wife started to use it as body soap. She has not been using any body lotions for moisturizer. I shave with it and shampoo with it. We are getting more and more people coming back saying how they love it and want more.
Jason

OK, so we have to purchase a book to get the recipe or did I miss that? Where can we get instructions, or do we buy the glycerin & get the instructions with it?

Ignorant still. :oops:

mandolyn said:
OK. I did some searching for how to make soap with biodiesel & came up with this for those interested.

Disclaimor: I haven't tried this!!!!

http://www.biodieselbarn.com/SoapRecipe.html

That recipe sounds OK but I'd use a lot less water. I usually use ~10% by volume.

The black crown guide is $10 well spent if you're a noob using BioDiesel glycerin (like me). If you're already making soap, I don't know how much use it will be.

Latest posts

Back