Advise on cutting the soap bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a surgical scrub brush (world's kindest nail brush) to set my soap on to drain. I set it on the bristle side which holds it up in the air. My customers also like these.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=10259&cat=1,43415,65190

ETA You can also set these in a pretty dish or wooden rack if you like pretty things. I use it in the shower just plain.

That's one of the reasons I make "mini" soaps or cut the loaves real thin. I can't count on my housemates to keep them as dry as I want and over the years of using (not making) handmade soap I noticed when they're bigger and square-r, our soaps tend to melt faster and stick to whatever dish it's on. I've tried wood, plastic, ceramic..

When I used to still buy I'd immediately cut a normal bar in half and hide one piece til the other one is used up.

Also if they're smaller they fit nicely in the palms of our hands and easier to grab. Asians yknow... Little people, little hands lol
Try a diatomaceous soap dish. I have a couple and love them!

I've given most of the bars away to friends and family soon after 4 weeks time. I tried zap test and it felt ok. that's the reason I distributed it and started to use one bar. Any reason to suggest longer curing time,
I have been told and have read the bars get harder and, therefore, last longer the longer they cure.

These look quite good too:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKQ5XJS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Those soaps look lovely @Lankan. I would maybe cut them in half again so they are smaller but still chunky - and may bevelling.

The commercial soaps are also compressed so they are harder and less likely to stick to the soap dish. Maybe you could try cavity moulds that are shaped in a half round or flower or something that is not square?

Since I have multiple soaps in the shower :tub:, when my shower rack is full, i just balance a bar on top of my shampoo bottle. Sticks a bit to the pump but the soap is dry!

I accidentally made curved soaps years ago - when the soap was semi firm, i sat my cardboard milk carton on top of... (a hot mitt or something), and the box sagged into a curved shape. Still worked out, cut up fine, was a single bar width though, not as wide as your box.

Those soaps look lovely @Lankan. I would maybe cut them in half again so they are smaller but still chunky - and may bevelling.

The commercial soaps are also compressed so they are harder and less likely to stick to the soap dish. Maybe you could try cavity moulds that are shaped in a half round or flower or something that is not square?

I bought something similar at Walmart 2 for $1.89 and they seem to work well--I was thinking of buying some to give with the soaps I gift

All good recommendations.

Hopefully you can find a soap dish that allows maximum airflow to facilitate faster drying of your soap between uses. I have tried and still use several different types of soap dishes for at home, when traveling or to send to friends and family with the soap I gift to them. Sometimes

Here are some that really help the soap dry fairly quickly:

I have some similar to this that hold the soap at an angle and allow drainage:
47888_1_640px.jpg

These are great for travel & can be cut down if desired (they can double as a scrubby, too):

20161117_223136626_iOS_530x@2x.jpg

I also like these a lot:

61ZWSFuFdML._SX425_.jpg

I put these inside older soap dishes that don't have decent drainage:

120_1_.jpg

The soap dish currently in the bathroom is the kind with holes underneath, but with a container under to catch the water.

Soap still sticks, but it's easier to pull off if standing on the narrow side. However, I like this because the water that drains into the container underneath is soapy so I every now n then take that and pour on to a loofah and wash away. Wastes very little.

Love that ceramic soap dish!!! Those blue plastic ones are also very cool. I never see anything like those, where i shop. Some day I'm going to learn ceramics, though. :)

Here are some that really help the soap dry fairly quickly:

I have some similar to this that hold the soap at an angle and allow drainage:
47888_1_640px.jpg

I also like these a lot:

61ZWSFuFdML._SX425_.jpg

Earlene, the ceramic dish is pretty.
I've never seen a soap dish like that ceramic one! Gives me half a mind to get back into hand building.... Will have plenty of time and money for that in amongst the soaping....

I really like those but wish they were made of loofah material rather than pvc.

How difficult would it be to cut the loofah yourself? That would be a good solution.

that's what I was thinking but then wondered if a real loofah would be big enough. I gotta admit I don't know much about loofahs--do they come in bigger sizes

Back