Advise on cutting the soap bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lankan

Reaction score
I started test using a soap bar I made recently. Since the soap was poured on a flat surface and cut into rectangles, all the sides of the soap are very flat. it is causing the soap to get sticked to the soap case very firmly. Since I'm using the soap once a day it becomes little difficult to remove the soap from the soap case. Since the commercially available soap bars are molded into different shapes those can be easily removed without much hassle.

Any suggestions to avoid this happening.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. Maybe your bar is too hard? My soaps always get rounded after a couple of uses. I can't imagine a soap remaining that flat....
Also, ensure the soap case is getting & staying dry. Lots of sticking could mean excess water in your storage container/area.

That's one of the reasons I make "mini" soaps or cut the loaves real thin. I can't count on my housemates to keep them as dry as I want and over the years of using (not making) handmade soap I noticed when they're bigger and square-r, our soaps tend to melt faster and stick to whatever dish it's on. I've tried wood, plastic, ceramic..

When I used to still buy I'd immediately cut a normal bar in half and hide one piece til the other one is used up.

Also if they're smaller they fit nicely in the palms of our hands and easier to grab. Asians yknow... Little people, little hands lol

These are the bars I'm referring to.
20181210_212539.jpg

I've used a pizza box as the mold. the bar I mentioned at the beginning was kept on a flat surface after use (not on a soap case) and it finally got really sticked with the surface and not being able to remove at all.

Each bar was about 8cm X 5cm X 3cm in size weighting 130 - 145g.

If it's wet when you put it on a flat surface, it's going to stick. It needs to drain on a soap dish and not sit in water. I have a wooden slat soap deck I keep in the shower so water drains. Sometimes it sticks a bit but come up with a small nudge. And your soap may also need a longer cure. I cure mine 4-6 weeks minimum before using.

Mines were sticky too (just testing them, they aren’t quite cured yet). I got these little soap standles from BB and they are great. Search for “soap standle” on the BB site; they are little plastic stands that keep the soap off the ground. I bet not everyone would like them since you have to stick them into the soap, but I have found them super helpful for the stickiness issue.

Sorry I just saw that you are outside the US, these little things would not be worth the shipping. Anyway, you might still want to look at them and if you like them see if you can get something similar.

If it's wet when you put it on a flat surface, it's going to stick. It needs to drain on a soap dish and not sit in water. I have a wooden slat soap deck I keep in the shower so water drains. Sometimes it sticks a bit but come up with a small nudge. And your soap may also need a longer cure. I cure mine 4-6 weeks minimum before using.

I've given most of the bars away to friends and family soon after 4 weeks time. I tried zap test and it felt ok. that's the reason I distributed it and started to use one bar. Any reason to suggest longer curing time,

I've noticed that most of the commercially sold soap bars are molded into different shapes which will have minimal area touching the surface, thereby preventing experiences like I had.

5b9e761d2100003000c5f00d.jpeg

(photo source)

It got me into thinking of any possible ways that can be used by soap makers like us, especially when others use our product they should not feel this as a inferior aspect of the handmade soaps.

i think any soap that is flat and left on a flat surface when wet is going stick. nice looking bars!!

I agree iv had a few scraps stick to my shower tray because i didnt pick them up after the shower i dropped them in you would think i would learn but nope apparently not

I stand my soap on its side and tell my friends to do so as well.

I think the commercial soap shape is so they can produce a big looking bar that does not weigh much. But I’m a cynic!

Cure time depends on your recipe. Generally handmade soap gets better with time - harder, bubblier, more lather, gentler on the skin.

Back