A graphic reminder of the dangers of lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my gosh! How horrible; and painful that must be. I wonder how badly it will scar and if there will be issues with flexibility. He really burned the joints closest to the nails and a few of the second ones badly.

I use disposable latex gloves. (I'm allergic to nitrile. Isn't that weird?). And I have a chemical apron that I wear. However, I don't like the way it fits. I'm going to buy a lab coat or some disposable isolation gowns if I can find them at a good price. I've got a few of those and I'm able to reuse them if I'm not too sweaty. If I am, all bets are off because I just rip the thing off and shove it in the trash!

Aprons are actually a great idea. I was not using one, just a long sleeved shirt, until I recently spilled a big bowl of soap batter all down my front. Luckily I had a big coat on b/c I had just come in from outside and was still cold, if I hadn't I am pretty sure it would have soaked through . Started using a cooking apron after that, but might look for something more with more coverage/protection.

I actually wear my old howie lab coat as it has elasticated cuffs and is made of thick water repelling cotton, however a thick grill type apron would protect the main part of your body snappy. Any extra layer that you could easily whip off if soaked with lye water or batter is a good idea.

You know, I never thought about getting an inexpensive lab coat. I honestly don't wear long sleeves when I soap b/c its SO hot here in florida. But I wouldnt mind throwing on a lab coat. I'm not allowed to bring the ones from work, home, due to "contamination" concerns since I work with some extremely toxic stuff.

I've always just used an old cotton baking apron but have just ordered a pvc on - heaven forbid spilling my lye down me with just cotton on! Always wear gloves, goggles and long sleeves too.

That's good information on the lab coats and aprons. I'll start wearing one... I've been too lax on it.

Thanks for sharing that poor soaper's hands. It has really made me reconsider my safety precautions.

It makes me wonder if he also used vinegar and not water to remove it. Looks dreadfully painful

I wondered that too. I remember using vinegar when I was a newbie because that's what I was told to do and heavens did it burn! It actually was worse and my skin itched so badly. I now only use vinegar with some water in a spray bottle for spills and use only water for any lye on my skin. Lesson learned!

I just wince every time I see that poor man's photo. How painful!

I think I need better cords/ties for my chemical apron. If I get that, I think it will fit better and be more comfortable. However, I still want to get the lab coat or isolation gowns because I don't own anything with long sleeves. I was shocked to discover that. The chem apron is great for me because I have a terrible habit of wiping my hands on my front while cooking. (Years of grill aprons.) So, while in the kitchen, where I do my soaping, if I get batter on my hand, I automatically wipe it on my apron. (TMI?)

I think I need better cords/ties for my chemical apron. If I get that, I think it will fit better and be more comfortable. However, I still want to get the lab coat or isolation gowns because I don't own anything with long sleeves. I was shocked to discover that. The chem apron is great for me because I have a terrible habit of wiping my hands on my front while cooking. (Years of grill aprons.) So, while in the kitchen, where I do my soaping, if I get batter on my hand, I automatically wipe it on my apron. (TMI?)

I never wipe my hands when I get batter on them. I usually just throw away the disposable gloves. Thats my instict from working with other chemicals. Once the gloves are contaminated, off they go! I usually stand with about a foot to 6 inches at least from the work space since I'm used to having my arms outstretched in a hood. I seem to forget that with lye I can actually wash my gloves in the sink and it wont cause an environmental disaster :shock: Thats probably why I don't just use nitrile gloves. One soaping session can sometimes mean 3-5 gloves with my mentality...

I can see how that instict would be frustrating and why you need a chemical apron now. And never TMI. :razz:

Where did y'all get your aprons? Are they just regular grilling-type aprons?
You can get chemical resistant aprons at McMaster Carr. As for that pic I would have to wonder who would let the lye stay on long enough to inflict such a horrific burn. I get lye on me quite often and immediately flush it off, and it has never left a bad burn. I have had a much worst burn when I fell asleep on the bow of our boat, when I was in high school. It left me with a 3rd degree burn on exactly one half of my face and sent me to emergency. I am just to clumsy with heavy gloves and use the disposable nitrile. Many time I manage to splash above the glove. The only time I ever spilled lye was when I had not been soaping long and was under the belief I needed to mix outside and wear heavy gloves. Well I tripped and it flew out of the heavy glove. Fortunately it went over the bank not down my front. While I agree we need to not be careless, we also do not need to be frantic over using lye. Hot oil, melted wax, glue guns in my opinion can burn much worse because it is much harder to get it off.

On a Facebook group someone thought they got lye in their eye and another person actually suggested they wash it out with vinegar. I was horrified!

Omg!! Seriously?!? Without lye in my eye I wouldn't want vinegar in there but with the lye?! I dread to think!

Where did y'all get your aprons? Are they just regular grilling-type aprons?

Amazon. This is what I have. Maybe calling it a "chemical" apron is incorrect? It works well. However, I'm short and the bib part buckles forward. So when I'm looking down at my work surface, I'm looking down my apron instead. I have to tuck it under and use a paper clamp on it. I need to get a better cord that will take the weight more comfortably and let it hang lower.

image.jpg

Ann, that apron is actually adorable. I could wear that without fear of being mistaken for someone on Breaking Bad.

Teresa, thanks for the information and review on the yellow chemical apron. I think I'll pick up something similar the next time I order from Amazon.

:)

Someone should post a picture of someone who cut their fingers off with a circular saw.

<....>

Sorry. Being a bit sarcastic there.

I think we should respect the lye, but not be afraid. Just like a circular saw, floor jack, gun, or other powerful (and possibly dangerous) device.

I also wonder about the picture of the person's hand. When I soap I have my faucet on (it's one that you touch to turn off or on), and also a jug of white vinegar. My plan is to be careful and not spill anything, but if I do I plan to rinse thoroughly (and if necessary, use a splash of vinegar).

Let's not get overly carried away here, it's not nerve agent or anthrax or anything like that...

-Dave

I agree that we shouldn't freak out about it. However I do respect and try to be smart when using it.

I don't know how he/she got burned so badly because yes, it does take time to get burns that bad. And ive gotten lye on me (small amounts) many times and with cold water flushed over its not bug deal.

However, it is possible fairly quickly in the right conditions. They may have been working with a 1:1 ratio of lye, already had wet hands when it spilled, causing the reaction to happen faster and then instead of rinsing with water, they used vinegar which heated and made the burn happen more rapidly. Maybe?

Last edited:
Maybe somebody's already mentioned this -- I haven't read all the way through the thread yet -- but I like the black nitrile gloves. Black specifically because I can SEE if there's any lye specks or dust on them before I touch something that might later on be touched by bare hands. Cross-contamination and all that.

I was recently browsing another soapmaker's website, and in her "about" section she had a picture of herself making her very first batch. She was stickblending with gloves on, but no goggles, and the part that made my heart stutter: she had an infant strapped to her back. In one of those Ergo carriers. The baby looked to be about 6 months old.

I used to carry my daughter in one of those, so I know how they work and what kind of exposure the baby would have. NEVER EVER EVER would I make soap while carrying a child.

Latest posts

Back