Quantcast

99% Lye?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

SoapPoopette

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
52
Reaction score
2
Hello to all,
I am new to soapmaking and I am in the process of gathering all of my ingredients and supplies so I can get started ( I am getting so excited!!!).
Anyway, I noticed in my quest to purchase lye that some are 99% lye but elsewhere I was told to make sure it is 100% lye. Is there a huge difference? Will the 99% be just as effective as the 100%? I apologize ahead of time if this seems like a silly question. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. Your knowledge has been so helpful.
:D
 

meliblom

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
The 99% lye will not work. It must be 100%. Reason being the 99% lye has additives/impurities that react badly with soap. The additive is usually aluminum, and aluminum and soap just don't mix.
 

carebear

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
7,714
Reaction score
64
my lye says 99%. The other 1% is impurities, moisture, something-carbonate. As long as it doesn't have aluminum in it you are fine. If the label doesn't specify then call the manufacturer.

What brand do you have?

(even the lye on the TOG/etsy site is 99%)
 

SoapPoopette

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
52
Reaction score
2
I bought Rooto which says 100% lye but I don't have enough so I was going to get some more from the TOG/etsy site. I just wanted to make sure I would not cause a problem in the long run. Also I considered the 99% lye found on SoapDish site.:?
 

carebear

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
7,714
Reaction score
64
you can also use Roebic brand from Lowes Hardware Stores - it's nice to be able to get small amounts locally!
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
Yes, my lye, American made, by the way, is 99% pure, the other 1% being water, calcium carbonate, and other inert material. I'm not even sure food grade sodium hydroxide is 100% pure.
 

SoapPoopette

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
52
Reaction score
2
So would there be a problem if I added some of the 99% lye to the 100% lye I have? My recipe calls for 18oz and the container I got is only 16oz. Thus my reason for needing to buy more. I just want to make sure that these two brands of lye won't mess up my first try at soapmaking.
Thanks, in the meantime for your help. :wink:
 

Latest posts

Top