99% Lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapPoopette

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I am new to soapmaking and I am in the process of gathering all of my ingredients and supplies so I can get started ( I am getting so excited!!!).
Anyway, I noticed in my quest to purchase lye that some are 99% lye but elsewhere I was told to make sure it is 100% lye. Is there a huge difference? Will the 99% be just as effective as the 100%? I apologize ahead of time if this seems like a silly question. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. Your knowledge has been so helpful.
:D

The 99% lye will not work. It must be 100%. Reason being the 99% lye has additives/impurities that react badly with soap. The additive is usually aluminum, and aluminum and soap just don't mix.

my lye says 99%. The other 1% is impurities, moisture, something-carbonate. As long as it doesn't have aluminum in it you are fine. If the label doesn't specify then call the manufacturer.

What brand do you have?

(even the lye on the TOG/etsy site is 99%)

I bought Rooto which says 100% lye but I don't have enough so I was going to get some more from the TOG/etsy site. I just wanted to make sure I would not cause a problem in the long run. Also I considered the 99% lye found on SoapDish site.:?

you can also use Roebic brand from Lowes Hardware Stores - it's nice to be able to get small amounts locally!

Yes, my lye, American made, by the way, is 99% pure, the other 1% being water, calcium carbonate, and other inert material. I'm not even sure food grade sodium hydroxide is 100% pure.

So would there be a problem if I added some of the 99% lye to the 100% lye I have? My recipe calls for 18oz and the container I got is only 16oz. Thus my reason for needing to buy more. I just want to make sure that these two brands of lye won't mess up my first try at soapmaking.
Thanks, in the meantime for your help. :wink:

Latest posts

Back