Stain Stick - additive amount

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, making stain sticks for the first time. I know that some of you add d-limonene to your stain sticks, so I ordered some and was wondering about the process. @AliOop, I found a post of yours saying that you use 100% CO and 2% limonene. Is that 2% ppo, 2% of total batch weight or some other measure? Also, do you just add it to the water/liquid before adding lye? Anything that I should watch out for otherwise? TIA.

Hi @not_ally, I add it at 2% of oil weight. Since it's basically like an essential oil (it's a constituent in many citrus EOs), I just SB it well into the oils before pouring in the lye solution. That way I know it is well-blended. 100% CO tends to trace pretty quickly, especially at 100F and above.

I prefer cavity molds for my stain sticks, since CO hardens so fast and can be like cutting stone if you wait even 30 minutes too long. If you do use a loaf mold or slab mold, check it frequently and cut while still warm - probably within an hour of pouring.

Latest posts

Back