Soap for elderly skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That does sound nice. If you aren't against lard, you might try dding around 10%. It will help with hardness but is super mild and creamy.
You can use 50% coconut milk for liquid to increase creamy lather and it will boost the SF by 5% or so. My weird facial bar I made has coco milk and its fabulous.

i havent experimented with lard, and the two times i used milk it failed horribly. I may leave those for the second go round :) thanks though!

I have never made a soap with a hardness level that low. I hope you will report on your batch because I will surely be watching for it. Do you think you would be able to post some pictures of the lather too?

I like adding some coconut milk too, although I don't sub it for full water. It's not the same as animal milk, or at least I don't think so, in how the animal milks can burn or give that toasty smell. If you like your recipe you can always consider adding a few additional luxuries the next time around.

Please let us know about how this goes!

i still have to order the rose fo oil that i want to use, and cant do that till pay day. but i will definitely try to remember to post pics in a few weeks when it is cured. :)

The shampoo recipe I have been using for the last yr has a hardness level of 20 and conditioning at 77, the batch I have curing is at 16 and 82. I haven't had any problem with the first one with the low hardness level. Can't wait to try the new batch to see how they compare. If I don't like it as shampoo I can use it as a facial bar

The PKO is meant to replace some of the coconut oil for cleansing and lather, not quite sure why you would want to remove it unless you want to lower the cleansing number.

Pko as much the same properties as coconut. It adds cleansing and bubbles, but there is just not much point in adding both pko and co. Palm on the other hand does add some nice properties to the soap plus makes a hard bar of soap. For my older skin I use a soap with very low lauric and myristic. I love avocado, sunflower and canola in my mild soaps. I like to control the mildness of my soap with my formulas not with superfatting. I superfat very low other than salt bars

Evening Primrose oil is supposed to be good for older skin but I don't know if it would add anything substantial in a soap. Some people won't put straight oil on their skin because it feels wrong but I wonder if you made an oil blend for her with jojoba, rosehip oil and evening primrose with a touch of scent, if those types of oils would benefit her skin straight up (or in a lotion), as an addition to the nice conditioning soap you're making.
Evening Primrose is very nice in lotion and balms. I save these type of oils for leave on products

i havent experimented with lard, and the two times i used milk it failed horribly. I may leave those for the second go round :) thanks though!

Lard makes a fantastic soap. I personally would leave out the the rose hip oil in a wash off product. Apricot Kernel oil would be a good replacement for aging skin and is very nice in soap. Lard, canola or sunflower, apricot kernel all make wonder mild soap and avocado with avocado puree is fantastic. Mix you avocado puree with goat's milk and add after adding in the lye solution

Evening Primrose is very nice in lotion and balms. I save these type of oils for leave on products

I second this. I made a beeswax balm with olive, rosehip, evening primrose and apricot kernel and i'm loving it! I use it for a facial night cream.

I would certainly go with palm oil and not pko with this recipe. pko will take up the Lauric (11) and Myristic (4) considerable, versus using palm which gives Lauric (6) and Myristic (4).
what does it mean take up PKO.

I use Palm Kernel oils and I don't know what the difference is in flakes and oil in soap.

Palm oil will give lower lauric and myristic than palm kernel oil.

PKO, coconut, babassu -> More lauric and myristic acids = higher cleansing number, higher bubbly number. More stripping of oils from the skin. More water soluble so doesn't last quite so long.

Palm, lard, tallow -> More palmitic and stearic acids = lower cleansing number, higher creamy number. Less water soluble, longer lasting, milder to the skin. Also these three fats, and palm and lard especially, have a good dab of oleic acid which adds conditioning properties to the soap -> less drying.

Thanks AnnaMarie, i still havent been able to re-stock my supplies, this coming paycheck maybe. a high percentage of Rosehip seed oil is one of my bucket list soaps. i cant wait to make it :)

PKO, coconut, babassu -> More lauric and myristic acids = higher cleansing number, higher bubbly number. More stripping of oils from the skin. More water soluble so doesn't last quite so long.

Palm, lard, tallow -> More palmitic and stearic acids = lower cleansing number, higher creamy number. Less water soluble, longer lasting, milder to the skin. Also these three fats, and palm and lard especially, have a good dab of oleic acid which adds conditioning properties to the soap -> less drying.

thank you so much for that explanation. you know when you learn to make soap, They don't tell you how or why to use this or that . Just use the soap calculator and experiment but when you don't understand the difference, to the person, it seems okay..

thank you. Now i can't wait to get rid of this PKO.
I do have some lard in there so ... and I thought coconut was more drying then palm kernel that is why I bought such a big batch.

I thought it was the coconut that would dry the skin out, Just as bad as using store bought,

I use PKO, usually with coconut to give soap bubbles, just not too much of either one so the soap isn't too drying. The idea (for me, anyway) is to get a nice blend of oils so you get the best properties in the soap. Creamy, conditioning, bubbly etc, it's all about balance.

As the original poster was talking about soap for a very mature grandmother, I think they wanted to keep the bubbly cleansing lower and get as creamy and conditioning and gentle as possible, in which case yes I would opt for more lard or palm and olive and less or no coconut or pko.

Someone else mentioned a shampoo bar, and I second the suggestion. Low cleansing and very gentle, great for wintertime skin bars, or those with dry skin. I also love French pink clay for sensitive and mature skin, and coconut milk. I also save my really expensive oils for leave-on products, but love the idea of one in soap. Agree with the suggestion of apricot kernel oil, too. I'd use some shea, palm, a higher percentage of castor, skip the PKO. I love an EO blend of rose geranium, frankincense, rosemary and lavender in soaps for sensitive and aging skin, but your rose FO sounds like a lovely idea.

I got the part where your computer was acting up but if you have a recipe with not too many specialty oils I'd love to try it out. being 59. I don't want to have rough skin if I can prevent it, or at least rely the onset of it.. Bad enough my hair if falling out. don't want to totally look like that little Yoda on Star Wars

Millersoap.com has a recipe for a Canolive II which is a great recipe. I received one in a soap swap used it off and on for a year as I wanted to see if it would acquire dos. Well it did not and I used it to the last sliver. It is a very gentle soap and of course the percentages can be tweaked on some of the oils as with any recipe

yea, I'm going to get the supplies and make some as my next batch.. thank you.

Latest posts

Back