Soap recipe for older thin skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, coconut oil is very bubbly, very cleansing (dries out the skin), and is a fast tracer. It makes a physically hard soap that dissolves fast. It can be a heater in your soap recipe.

Tallow is much lower in both cleansing and bubbling, and is also slower to trace, although it has a much higher melting point than CO. It makes a physically hard soap that is much slower to dissolve than CO.

Okay WOW. I thought just for fun I’d do a quick internet search for persimmon. Guess what came up? “Gets rid of that old people smell”! I am rarely offended by anything but Mother of Everything Holy, that’s just rude! And now I’m genuinely curious what it smells like. Yes, Cabela’s has it. For deer bait. I guess I’m down that rabbit hole now.

@Mommawolfe sorry for any confusion. My remarks about the differences weren't directed to you; they were in response to @MomInWA's question, posted to me above, where she asked about the differences. :)
No worries, I just clarified just in case, I have about the thickest "thin skin" one could have lmao

Okay WOW. I thought just for fun I’d do a quick internet search for persimmon. Guess what came up? “Gets rid of that old people smell”! I am rarely offended by anything but Mother of Everything Holy, that’s just rude! And now I’m genuinely curious what it smells like. Yes, Cabela’s has it. For deer bait. I guess I’m down that rabbit hole now.
It isn't actually rude, my grandmother and "Auntie" had that "distinct odor", and I started smelling it on myself (probably imagination) so I went down the rabit hole, AND all the hallways! it smells like banana to me...OH ALL of the wild animals LOVE me now! (HUBBY TOO)! HAHAHAHA

It isn't actually rude, my grandmother and "Auntie" had that "distinct odor", and I started smelling it on myself (probably imagination) so I went down the rabit hole, AND all the hallways! it smells like banana to me...OH ALL of the wild animals LOVE me now! (HUBBY TOO)! HAHAHAHA
OMIGOSH true or not, I really loved my grandparents and I'd never say anything like that out loud. And if someday my kids say that about me, I'll wring their lil necks hahaha! I just think there are better ways to go about stating such things. I like to be kind and I am respectful of my elders. Anyway, not a huge big deal. ;)

Does anyone have any experience in usage % of persimmon oil for scent? I can't find any safe usage references.
I use 3%, usually a "safe" all around percentage, lol

OMIGOSH true or not, I really loved my grandparents and I'd never say anything like that out loud. And if someday my kids say that about me, I'll wring their lil necks hahaha! I just think there are better ways to go about stating such things. I like to be kind and I am respectful of my elders. Anyway, not a huge big deal. ;)
Just to put it out there, I would NEVER purchase this soap for my loved ones unless they request it. This is something that the "user" needs to decide for themselves, as giving it as a gift WOULD be rude. I loved my elders, and NEVER would have said anything about the odor!

Just to put it out there, I would NEVER purchase this soap for my loved ones unless they request it. This is something that the "user" needs to decide for themselves, as giving it as a gift WOULD be rude. I loved my elders, and NEVER would have said anything about the odor!
I gave my husbands friend and his wife some soap for Christmas, same as I gave many of my friends - who love my soap. They made comments asking if it was a hint, still not sure if they were serious. I later found out they only shower once a week. 😳 Not sure how I feel about giving them soap again. 🤷‍♀️

I gave my husbands friend and his wife some soap for Christmas, same as I gave many of my friends - who love my soap. They made comments asking if it was a hint, still not sure if they were serious. I later found out they only shower once a week. 😳 Not sure how I feel about giving them soap again. 🤷‍♀️
Give it to them, they probably loved it! My "tag line" at shows used to be "got dirt? Buy soap"...folks would laugh, then buy soap. EVERYONE loves a hand made bar of soap.

Why wouldn't you want to give them soap? Are you punishing them for not showering? LOL

Showering only once a week, in cooler water is MUCH better for your skin/health. Particularly if you have any eczema, psoriasis or dry skin.

Why wouldn't you want to give them soap? Are you punishing them for not showering? LOL

Showering only once a week, in cooler water is MUCH better for your skin/health. Particularly if you have any eczema, psoriasis or dry skin.
I think I would be nervous that *they* would think that I was trying to drive a point home as hard as I could. Maybe time to switch to cream/lotion with them, @Tammyfarms :)

Last edited:
I think I would be nervous that *they* would think that I was trying to drive a point home as hard as I could. Maybe time to switch to cream/lotion with them, @Tammyfarms :)
Good point. But since they teased you about it when you gave it to them you can just tell them that you like them and you want to give them something LOL that's what I do. The people I give my soap to don't ever seem to use it anyway.

Did they understand that you had made it yourself? When I have gifted soap, I get a little odd look until I tell them I made it. Then, they look surprised; "you made that?! 😯"

Latest posts

Back