Soap for elderly skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Mountain Soaps

Reaction score
Hi there, i have been asked to make soap for my husbands grand mother, who is 94 years old. I plan on making a simple hydrating soap with a rose scent. To my knowledge she has no health issues that can be affected by what little essential oils i may use. My question to you is, do you have any tips or things i may consider for making soap for advanced age skin? thanks!

I have a recipe that I HP and use avocado oil for superfat at 8%-10%. My 86 year grandmother really likes it for her face, says she doesn't have to use lotion. Rice bran oil would also be a good choice for SF.
The recipe isn't anything special but I'm happy to share it. It also used some boiled and pureed potato that really makes the lather nice feeling.

OO 50%
lard 22%
coconut oil 13%
palm kernel flakes or palm oil 10%
castor 5%

I have a recipe that I HP and use avocado oil for superfat at 8%-10%. My 86 year grandmother really likes it for her face, says she doesn't have to use lotion. Rice bran oil would also be a good choice for SF.
The recipe isn't anything special but I'm happy to share it. It also used some boiled and pureed potato that really makes the lather nice feeling.

OO 50%
lard 22%
coconut oil 13%
palm kernel flakes or palm oil 10%
castor 5%

I would certainly go with palm oil and not pko with this recipe. pko will take up the Lauric (11) and Myristic (4) considerable, versus using palm which gives Lauric (6) and Myristic (4).

The PKO is meant to replace some of the coconut oil for cleansing and lather, not quite sure why you would want to remove it unless you want to lower the cleansing number.

Palm and PKO are not interchangeable.

I love lard for older skin, but the high olive will be great also.

thank you all for the tips. My normal recipe has a lot of olive oil in it, then coconut. I may spend some time on soapcalc and see what i think may be best for her. Her skin is thin, so i would imagine it may be dried out easily. But, i am going to make note of all the ingredients you have suggested, and see what will yield a conditioning bar. Once again, thanks for teaching this newbie :)

thanks mzmolly65, i will look those up! I am building a recipe as we speak :)

that camelina oil sounds very nice! i think i will put that "I want it now!" list :)

Evening Primrose oil is supposed to be good for older skin but I don't know if it would add anything substantial in a soap. Some people won't put straight oil on their skin because it feels wrong but I wonder if you made an oil blend for her with jojoba, rosehip oil and evening primrose with a touch of scent, if those types of oils would benefit her skin straight up (or in a lotion), as an addition to the nice conditioning soap you're making.

that is a good idea newbie, but as she is in a full care facility, i don't know that the care takers would remember to apply the oil? even though it is a very nice place she is in. But, she AND the staff members would definitely remember to use soap:) that combo of oils sounds so nice i think i will try it for me! I am an avid user of oils, you get more benefit from oils than soap, when it comes to things other than cleansing. thanks again!

My normal recipe uses less than 15% coconut oil, no PKO, to keep the moisturizing factor up and the drying factor low. I would suggest that you go light on the CO. I like lard or beef tallow and olive in my soaps. I know there are more moisturizing formulas with different ingredients, just play with your calculator until you find something you think will work then I would make a small batch, try it yourself and if you think it's mild give her some and when you find one she likes you have a winner.

Yes, I suppose in a care facility, there are too many people involved to remember to use the oil. I use oils too, like you. Other ones that I blend in are Tamanu oil and Sea buckthorn. I like trying different combos. Can't use too much of the Sea Buckthorn in a blend unless you want to look orange, though.

ok, here is what i am thinking so far, these are the oils i have.
50% olive oil
30% rose hip seed oil (Expensive i know, but it is something that i have also wanted to try for myself.)
10% rice bran oil
8% coconut oil (creates a 5 for cleanliness is the only reason it is in here- i hesitate to use more for her skin?)
2% castor oil for creaminess.
sorry EG, i dont have any pine tar :)

Are you making a small batch? I have to admit, I cringed at the thought of so much rose hip oil going into a soap because of the cost but I will be very interested to hear if you think it's makes for a different bar. I don't think 8% CO will be problematic for her skin at that level. I will also be interested to hear what you find to be a minimal cure time with that level of rose hip oil. Post a picture too!

yes, it will be a two pound batch, and yes, i cring at that cost too :) but, i am liking the percentages that soapcalc is telling me. hardness 19 (acceptable for aging skin and bones) cleansing 5 ( wont be too harsh on her skin), conditioning 77 ( love that number! :) ) bubbly 7, and creamy 16. i want to kill two birds with one stone, make a soap that will be good for her, and to experiment with a soap high in rose hip seed oil.

Latest posts

Back