Soap for elderly skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Millersoap.com has a recipe for a Canolive II which is a great recipe. I received one in a soap swap used it off and on for a year as I wanted to see if it would acquire dos. Well it did not and I used it to the last sliver. It is a very gentle soap and of course the percentages can be tweaked on some of the oils as with any recipe

i am very curious about that recipe. been meaning to try it, perhaps i should.. soon. also, i noticed how kathy used a lot of soybean and canola in her recipes, but w/o the DOS problems.

I don't understand that either I think a lot of my old soaps with Canola gave me DOS. .Hate that.

Ok, so the ingredients finally came in, and i finally made the soap. Here is the pic, but do you see the liquid beads on top? i have never had that before. I got it on skin and me being a dork, wound up getting it on my lip, where both instantly told me it was lye. burned like a monkey. but i am ok. I have never had lye beads form like this can someone please explain the process? I am thinking i may have my FO ratio off, i forgot and treated it like an EO, and forgot to look at WSP's usage recommendation. This is my first FO to work with. Here is the recipe:
rosehip seed oil 30%
olive oil 50%
castor 2%
rice bran oil 2%
coconut oil 8%
water 8.6 oz
lye 2.88 oz
this recipe was built in soapcalc. then i added .5 oz rose garden FO. Also Should i cut this now, or wait for the lye beads to soak back in and cut tomorrow? or will they even do that?

ps, i figured the soap may get hot during curing being it is an FO in a wood mold, so it was not insulated, and it was left on an open shelf. This morning when i checked it, no lye beads, but this afternoon they had formed.

IMG_20140314_215915_088.jpg

I've had this happen before and they ended up soaking back in. I would wait (agonizing, I know).

Thanks so much everyone, the beads did soak back in, but it was still a bit too soft to cut tonight (Sort of like a sponge feeling). I will look again in the morning. WSP rose garden FO is SUPER strong. scent didnt morph either, i hope it wont be so strong when i go to use it. I plan on keeping a bar myself, but i wont if it is still strong. I am not a fan of scent. Anyway, i'll post pics again when cut and then used, ill let you know how it works.

well i forgot to post pics, it wound up curing in block form for another week or so. then cured four weeks additionally. It wound up being a super soft bar, but SUPER luxurious. i love this soap. So did my husbands grandmother. anyway, thanks for reading!

Just reading your recipe - have I missed something or not ? Your percentages don't add up to 100. I only get 92%., which means you were short on your oil.

rosehip seed oil 30%
olive oil 50%
castor 2%
rice bran oil 2%
coconut oil 8%
water 8.6 oz
lye 2.88 oz

oops, must not have entered it right, or gone back and edited it once i ran it through soap calc. bump the rice bran up to 10% and the others are right. good catch :). its super soft. hardness 19, cleansing 5, conditioning 77, bubbly 7, creamy 16, iodine 12, ins 85.

wow, lotsa rosehip! this is one expensive soap, i hope the recipient is happy with it :)

oh yeah it is. This is one i will only make for myself, or his grandmother. Everyone else who requests it will definitely have to cover costs on it. if i actually sold my soaps, i think this one would be sitting on the shelf for a very long time due to its price!!!! :) i think the next batch (now that i have this one off my bucket list) will have a little less rose hip oil, and something else added or increased to harden it up a bit, just so the bar will last a little longer.

I've been wondering how this soap was! How was the lather? Do you think it will harden up more with more time with 50% OO? I'm glad you liked it so much, given its precious nature. One to hold back just for you and grandma.

the lather is awesome. extremly cream and smooth. the only downfall aside from cost that is, is that the bar is hard to hold onto! i drop it atleast once each shower :) that is a minor issue. i really love this soap. im sure it would harden up over time, but it would have to be a very long time. I think olive oil would be a great next project. thanks for the idea!

that is a good idea newbie, but as she is in a full care facility, i don't know that the care takers would remember to apply the oil?!
It depends on the facility. I work at one, and we will make sure everything they want in their daily routine gets done. We will do their makeup for them if that's what they want. But not all places are as awesome as ours ;)

It depends on the facility. I work at one, and we will make sure everything they want in their daily routine gets done. We will do their makeup for them if that's what they want. But not all places are as awesome as ours ;)

A facility that allows time for employees to do resident's makeup is by far the exception in my experience. You do work at an awesome facility!

My elderly father loves his 100% Olive Oil Castile bar I make him. He has terrible eczema. I have never tried it but I have seen other soapers make a Castile with Calendula infused water. Very gentle and good for the skin.

Back