Spring Fling 2023

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliBx

Reaction score
I'm not sure about others, but I'm immensely shy and downright frightened of social media marketing. I've tried showcasing 'MYSELF' making soap, but often delete it right away from instagram. Then I try "privately" going live with just family and friends, but often 'end' the meeting pretty quickly.

So I'm trying my hands on going out and selling 'in person'! This started out as a hobby, but have since grown to one of my very own passion. I just loving making coldprocess soap bars

My question is this,
...how do I get over being so shy amongst others during this year's Spring Fling? I'm so shy that it is crippling at times. Thus, fear kicks in.

Any suggestions for me here!!! I needs to know how and what to expect I guess. I'm a bit nervous...

:(

I didn't think I could ever "sell" but I found that, while managing Studio West where we sold art supplies, framing and had a consignment gallery for local artists, all I had to do was to chat with the customer about the piece they were interested in, about the artist, and not think about selling at all. The piece always sold itself, you might say. The same is true of soap. People are drawn to it and often it's an emotional buy. It makes them feel good. Just focus on the soap, not yourself.

HTH

Hi @AliBx - I have some ideas for you, and while it’s pretty anonymous here, good job you for reaching out and asking for help! ☺️

Start slow - Are you comfortable with 1-2 close friends? If so, what about asking one of them to bring someone you don’t know to coffee so you can build up some confidence slowly in a safe space? Way easier to do that compared to going from 1 person to 45.

Groups - can you attend a community event and practice having convos with people at their booths? Ask questions and see what they reply to help you think thru what you might say in those instances.

Plan and prepare - write down what you might be asked and practice what you might reply. It’s good to do this in the mirror, and then maybe with a friend - even if it’s just practice on FaceTime.

Toastmasters - this is a great organization to help you get more comfortable speaking in groups and to people and is an opportunity to meet new people.

If those ideas are too overwhelming, then start at the store and practice asking someone where a product is. Aka, you spy Pringles in their cart, and suddenly realize you’ve been wanting to make soap in a Pringles can, and therefore must buy and eat (darn lol) said Pringles. So you say “Oh wow, where did you find the Pringles? I’ve been looking all over for those!” Or at the fancy cheese section, “which of these will go good with some grapes and crackers” to someone else there….. you get the idea. Make a goal to speak to 3-5 people in a session.

I hope these ideas help you 🌸

ETA - my Aunt is shy, so she takes my Mom to be her spokesperson at events

I worked hotel customer service for almost 20 years. I'm very much an introvert and it scared the daylights out of me when I started.

Here's what I suggest.... in hotels there's something called the 5/10 rule. Basically, it means when someone is ten feet away, you smile, when they are five feet away, you say hello. This is usually enough to get them to come into your booth. In hotels, you'd follow along that line. With this, I'd suggest asking if they're looking for something, if you can help them, or maybe commenting on something. Like... if they have a dog with them, grin and ask if you can pet the dog then gush over how cute the dog is. Or compliment their shirt or their hair or something. And the most important thing is to mean it, they can tell if you don't.

My bath bombs are my best seller so I have them close to the front for the kids to see as they walk by. Alot of times it's the kids that bring their parents in because they want a bath bomb.

I'll be honest, the customer usually leads the conversation from there.

After a while, it becomes so second nature to most people that they can actually begin to miss the interaction. Although it still drains me mentally and I pretty much always sleep much longer the next day.

You'll do fine. Just let it flow naturally. Smile genuinely, be warm and welcoming. Fake it till you make it.

Hi @AliBx - I have some ideas for you, and while it’s pretty anonymous here, good job you for reaching out and asking for help! ☺️

Start slow
Groups
Plan
Toastmaster
----
ETA - my Aunt is shy, so she takes my Mom to be her spokesperson at events
Thanks dmcgee...
I actually took notes on this one. hehe. I'll try some of them for sure. I think I'll try going to the supermarket/store first and see how it pans out for me. I think the supermarket is more my pace. I definitely won't run out of there cause I love love shopping. lol. Thanks for these suggestions.

I worked hotel customer service for almost 20 years. I'm very much an introvert and it scared the daylights out of me when I started. That's amazing how you were able to handle this for almost 20 years. Impressive.

......Basically, it means when someone is ten feet away, you smile, when they are five feet away, you say hello. I love this rule. i've never done this. i think i'm going to try this tomorrow, while i take my lessons to the grocery store as mentioned above. If I can master this, the rest will follow. Yes! even this rule is challenging for me. :).

I'll be honest, the customer usually leads the conversation from there...Yeah! I definitely need to be myself and speak from the heart. I think it will (honestly) be easier to carry a conversation for sure if I'm just being myself.

After a while, it becomes so second nature to most people...I can only pray that this happens sooner than later. I really do.
...Smile genuinely, be warm and welcoming. Fake it till you make it. Yes! I'll definitely try. Thanks for your advise. :)

I handled about 18 years and never would have left if it wasn't for the way the managers and owners treat their employees. I've been front desk, night audit, housekeeping, accounting and an assistant general manager as well as assisted with revenue.

You'll be fine. Small steps. Eventually you learn to talk about absolutely nothing with excitement, cheerfulness and vigor. Incredibly boring conversations but it makes you look good to the customers. Don't worry, you'll do fine once you get the hang of it. It's the breaking the ice that's the hard part. So those tips should greatly help. The biggest part is just to say hi with a smile. The rest will usually lead itself.

People LOVE to talk about themselves, so if you can get them talking they will open up. It even helps you make suggestions on things to buy for them. You don't even have to say much, just show you're paying attention. I've had people tell me their whole life stories. One night as a desk clerk, I was working night audit and a guy from Britain hung out for FOUR hours just chatting about everything and nothing. I honestly couldn't have cared less (I'd have been happy to go into the back office and play on my portable nintendo) but he was cute and it made the night go faster. He really told me EVERYTHING about his life lol.

You'll be fine, I promise. You'll be tired after, but you'll be fine. Just make sure you take time to recharge after. It takes alot of energy to be "on" for a long time. It's absolutely exhausting for me. But it becomes easy.

Edit: My husband just made a great point... remember that every customer is an ahole. They can go nice to mean in seconds. They want to win. If you realize it, you will never be caught off guard. You are on a stage and it's nothing personal. If you learn that quickly, selling becomes easy. Even upselling. Everything will bounce off you. And if they DO get nasty, be nice. No matter what happens, be nice. Yelling at you, be nice. Calling you names, be nice. In your face, be nice. It will drive them crazy but it's honestly funny.

I actually don't care much anymore. So many years in customer service, you learn to fake it. Do the best you can. Just accept that even your best might not be perfect and that's ok.

If you need help, you can always ask other vendors after the guest has left. Most vendors help each other out from advice to product.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this advise. What I failed to say in my post was that the Spring Fling starts tomorrow and before I wrote the post, I was actually thinking of cancelling. (vendor withdrawal). However, the words of encouragements here made me second guess that. I just confirmed my presence to the spring fling coordinator.

Also, I went out to the supermarket early this morning (not a lot of people there-needed to start small). I did the rule of smiling at 10 feet and saying hello at 5 feet (I think that's the rule). It worked. I actually got a comment on my looks when I did that. I'm not sure if he was just trying to hit on me, but it gave me the boost I needed. I asked questions about where Items where (even if I already knew that lol). Met a woman from West Africa and started speaking in my native tongue to her. I was there for at least 1.5 hours and bought only a can of tomato source. LOL It was awesome.

Then I went to the dog park..with my dog.. and chatted with fellow dog owners there. Let my golden play around in the other dogs while I sat and talked to others seated as well.

Now...through out this entire practice, I was immensely nervous. It was very bad as I was having a hard time with it all. It wasn't easy and like you said, I was extremely exhausted when I came home... very exhausted.

Sat down for like an hour to regenerate.

I know that people may be a bit nasty with me as they comment on why my soap is more special than the ones in the supermarket, but I'm prepared for it..I THINK. I'm actually practicing my answers to unforeseen questions that may be asked of me. But I'll remain nice as you and your hubby stated. I'll stay nice and move one for sure. LOL

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I really do appreciate it. It is giving the boost I need to get through this 2 day challenge. It really is. Thanks.

I'll definitely post an update...

Keep us posted, @AliBx - you got this! 🌸
I'll keep all of you updated for sure... been practicing my talking skills at supermarkets and dog parks. It has gone well. Just VERY nervous through it all. Like VERY. I think I may have a phobia or something LOL. not sure. But it went well. I'll keep you all posted.

I have confirmed my participating with the Spring Fling coordinator today and what y'all don't know is that it is tomorrow and Sunday. I think I can do it. I have to do it. I will not throw in the towel. I'm gonna do it. I'll keep you all posted if I can make it through. I'm sure I will???? I hope I will. Thanks all. I'll keep you guys updated.

I'm very introverted and am uncomfortable speaking to people I don't know. I follow a rule similar to Melissa's 5/10 foot rule. If they are just glancing over my products, I don't say anything beyond my greeting. If they stay for a minute, I'll ask if they are looking for something particular. If they are picking up and smelling multiple soaps, I ask what type of scents they usually like. Beyond that, I let them lead any conversation.

I know that people may be a bit nasty with me as they comment on why my soap is more special than the ones in the supermarket, but I'm prepared for it..I THINK. I'm actually practicing my answers to unforeseen questions that may be asked of me. But I'll remain nice as you and your hubby stated. I'll stay nice and move one for sure. LOL
They won't be nasty! Try to erase that fear.
They will be there to find something special, and not thinking of supermarket fare, either.

Good luck.

Toastmasters - this is a great organization to help you get more comfortable speaking in groups and to people and is an opportunity to meet new people.
Great advice! I did that. It truly was an awesome experience -- me, a girl, talking to a room full of businessmen -- once I got over myself, my confidence soared!
If you are passionate about what you sell it will make it a little easier.
That is the real secret to selling!!! :nodding:

Thank you so much for this advise. What I failed to say in my post was that the Spring Fling starts tomorrow and before I wrote the post, I was actually thinking of cancelling. (vendor withdrawal). However, the words of encouragements here made me second guess that. I just confirmed my presence to the spring fling coordinator.

Also, I went out to the supermarket early this morning (not a lot of people there-needed to start small). I did the rule of smiling at 10 feet and saying hello at 5 feet (I think that's the rule). It worked. I actually got a comment on my looks when I did that. I'm not sure if he was just trying to hit on me, but it gave me the boost I needed. I asked questions about where Items where (even if I already knew that lol). Met a woman from West Africa and started speaking in my native tongue to her. I was there for at least 1.5 hours and bought only a can of tomato source. LOL It was awesome.

Then I went to the dog park..with my dog.. and chatted with fellow dog owners there. Let my golden play around in the other dogs while I sat and talked to others seated as well.

Now...through out this entire practice, I was immensely nervous. It was very bad as I was having a hard time with it all. It wasn't easy and like you said, I was extremely exhausted when I came home... very exhausted.

Sat down for like an hour to regenerate.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I really do appreciate it. It is giving the boost I need to get through this 2 day challenge. It really is. Thanks.

I'll definitely post an update...
Awesome, I'm glad it worked for you. I really hope you have the best time. Please come back and let us know how it goes. Most people are very nice. I just like to make sure people are prepared. The worst I've ever gotten at a market is blatantly ignored which is fine. I think you'll do great tomorrow.

Hoping it’s going well today, @AliBx 🌸
Going well! I was and still am very nervous even when there’s nothing to be worried about. I think I just need more practice talking to people. I’ve been using the 10/5 rule a lot today and it seems to be going very well. 2.5 hours to go today. I can do this. 👍

OMG...the day (yesterday) ended great. I was so tired from (talking to people). The more I did it, the less nervous I got though. It all went well. It really did.

I'm on day 2 now. It's raining and I'm hoping not a lot of people will show up. Still nervous that's why LOL. But I know now that I can do this now. 10/5 rule works well for me. And I did practice going to the supermarket and dog park to talk to people (before the Spring Fling) and that really helped too.

I'll keep y'all updated.

So day 2 went well and I must say that it took me two days to recuperate. I was invited to do another sale but I'm a bit worn-out from pure nerves. I may have to take a break... LOL. However, I should probably do the sale event being that it will give me more practice for sure. However, I'm a bit mentally exhausted to make any commitments right now. Thanks all for your advise. It helped me immensely.

I must say that it took me two days to recuperate. I was invited to do another sale but I'm a bit worn-out from pure nerves.
Happy to learn that it went well for you... 2 days to recuperate is typical!!! 🤪 Doing an event is a lot of work. It will get easier as you learn from the first one and adjust down the road. A glass of wine (or two) is highly recommended for decompressing. Also, deep breathing exercises to keep you centered.

Back