LOL! What a mess! Wax paper really doesn't work

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsanders

Reaction score
I've used wax paper on a couple of batches and had no problems at all. The last batch I made I added coffee grounds and dragons blood FO, mixed it a little warmer (105ish) and poured at earlier trace, still about medium I would say. I used a cardboard box lined with wax paper.

When I finally got the soap out by tearing the box down the corners I couldn't even see the wax paper. It had become part of the soap! With some work I peeled it all off and now the soap is curing. It was still soft after 48 hours but is now starting to firm up and it looks cool. Marbled brown and green and I let it gel this time.

:D

I use parchment paper or freezer paper to line molds. Waxed paper is OK to cover the soap.

Good to know! I've always heard not to use it..but wondered what would happen. Thanks for the public service annoucenment!

try using the non waxed side, it usually worked for me, as long as I didnt use the waxed side, now I use silicone molds so no need for paper at all, also I think it is better for the enviroment not to use it...

FreeRabbit, would mind sharing a link to the silicone molds that you like?
If you don't mind that is!
I'm curious about trying them, but would rather use a recommendation :)

The wax paper which I am using absorps a bit of water from the soap, which may help sometimes.

Carefully peeling off always works.

when i was first starting, had numerous wax paper experiences with similar results. now i only use freezer paper, with the waxy side toward the soap. totally no problems :)

I tried baking parchment (not sure if that's the same thing as parchment in the US) and had the same result - had to cut it off my soap - it was a 100% OO castille batch - CP, no FO, colour or additives to affect it. I presume that it just doesn't like lye (can't see why heat would be the issue, as it's designed for use in the oven, and it's never done that while baking...):?

I've had to order freezer paper on ebay (it doesn't exist here) - i get it tomorrow and hope for more success :p

As mentioned on other threads, I've had issues red silicone moulds discolouring soap - maybe something to bear in mind if buying silicone.

paillo said:
when i was first starting, had numerous wax paper experiences with similar results. now i only use freezer paper, with the waxy side toward the soap. totally no problems :)
Yes! Wax paper is a crap shoot at best. Don't do it. Freezer paper is in the wraps area of the grocery store (Reynolds, prob on bottom shelf). Or ask the. It her for some of his plastic coated paper.

Don't feel to bad jsanders, most of us had to learn that the hard way. I wish I had know about this forum before I started making soap, it could have saved me so much time and money. LOL! But now you know, if you've got to line...freezer paper is def the way to go. :wink:

Lady M- I ordered one of the small silicone loaf molds (holds 28-30 oz oil recipe) from WSP and the 12 bar silicone slab mold. They both work very well. I can get 8- 1" bars from the silicone loaf. HTH. I think the silicone loaf mold sold by Bebe's Collection may be the same loaf mold, not 100% sure.

I often use freezer paper without trouble as well. Another thing you could try is shelf paper you would use to cover books or line drawers. Just make sure it's smooth (unless you want the texture on your soap) and don't reveal the adhesive or you'll be ripping it out of your mold for days :lol: Cut just like the wax paper and place it in the mold. Works like a charm and can be reused so you're not cutting more freezer paper over and over again!

I use shelf liner all the time, it works great. I do have a pic posted somewhere as to how to place it.

Back