Soap wrapping with translucent paper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, as some of you know (since I’m always blathering away about my booth) I sell at various venues. I invested a while ago in a shrinkwrapping system, but the truth is I don’t love it. I appreciate that it is transparent, so buyers can see the designs, and I appreciate that the wrapping protects the bars. And I can “freshen up“ the wrapping by passing the heat gun by it. But I don’t like the plastic and customers don’t either.
I don’t want to sell “naked” bars. Just me. Also don’t want to use cigar bands or boxes. Also, just my preference.
I have started wrapping a few soaps that don’t have designs with deli wrappers, ones that I had on hand, that have a plastic coating (some have soy based plastic but these don’t). I got the idea from @DeeAnna from this post:
Thread 'Kabnet Wax deli paper for wrapping bar soap'
Kabnet Wax deli paper for wrapping bar soap

I am still using translucent plastic labels which probably have more plastic than the shrinkwrapping, per bar. 😐
I have a notion about printing labels on translucent paper if I could find the right material. Glassine paper is all plant fiber, no plastic. I can’t nail down if it it printable on a laser printer but I’m still researching. But I think it might be too delicate. Vellum paper is nifty and translucent, but a little heavy I think. I currently have my sample bars labeled with the name of the bar with a vellum cigar band - it’s eye-catching and works well but they do become loose over time. For my round bars I have used florist wrap but I’m pretty certain it is coated with plastic. it is translucent and remarkably sturdy.
Not to say that glassine and vellum are perfect, I don’t know the carbon footprint of creating them. But at least the buyer doesn’t end up with plastic.

Anybody else use vellum or glassine paper to wrap their soap? Where is this unicorn of soap wrapping; translucent, eco friendly, budget friendly, sturdy but delicate, printable paper? 🦄

I haven’t yet found the ideal paper, @Vicki C, but I did remember some thing about biodegradable shrink wrap. Have you looked into Biolefin? It contains an additive that breaks down the plastic molecules. When I was reading about it, I thought it paralleled changes from combining lye and oils to make soap. Maybe Biolefin is the “soap” of plastics?

I wonder if there is a way to get samples to test with soap?

Wow, I'd forgotten about that post I made. Blast from the past!

Kabnet Wax paper is no longer made. If someone is interested in this idea, a similar product is Handy Wacks (yes, really!) heavy duty paper. There are several grades of Handy Wacks; you want the heavy duty paper.

When you find the perfect solution, please let us know! I’ve tried just about every way there is to package soap. Scents may sell the soap but I’m finding that people want to see the design, shape, texture etc. My solution right now is to use shrink wrap bags with an open side for display soaps and something else for the stock soap. Many of the options I’m using are coming from China, so I’m not sure about the footprint, but agree that at least it’s not plastic. Boxes are nice, but relatively expensive, as are some of the cloth bags. The vellum paper I bought is stiff for wrapping soap, but works well for cigar bands and book fold or top fold labels. Reusable tea bags made of very thin cotton are relatively inexpensive and work well with heavy paper cigar bands wrapped around the bag, or a book fold or tag type label tied at the top. Glassine and kraft bags are also relatively inexpensive but they get wrinkled and the glassine bags get a bit crinkled In contact with soap, even after the soap is well cured. To label the glassine bags, I’ve been folding the top down, adding a folded vellum label and then stapling through the label and bag to seal it up. I never thought to try printing directly on the bag, but it works, even with my very basic ink jet printer! I purposely smeared the first two letters right after it came out of the printer. Within about 15 sec the ink was dry and the second two letters did not smear. Thanks for that idea!

IMG_0217.jpeg

ETA: I checked the vellum paper I have and it’s 93 GSM. Has anyone tried lighter weight vellum or tracing paper through a printer? For example, I found 60 GSM and 50 GSM options that have reasonable reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:
I haven’t yet found the ideal paper, @Vicki C, but I did remember some thing about biodegradable shrink wrap. Have you looked into Biolefin? It contains an additive that breaks down the plastic molecules. When I was reading about it, I thought it paralleled changes from combining lye and oils to make soap. Maybe Biolefin is the “soap” of plastics?

I wonder if there is a way to get samples to test with soap?
Yes I was using biolefin but then got discouraged because I think it basically turns into micro plastics - doesn’t really degrade. Also, I think it sort of got soft on the soap bars - like started falling apart - and was more susceptible to heat gun damage even accounting for operator error.
Wow, I'd forgotten about that post I made. Blast from the past!

Kabnet Wax paper is no longer made. If someone is interested in this idea, a similar product is Handy Wacks (yes, really!) heavy duty paper. There are several grades of Handy Wacks; you want the heavy duty paper.
Yes I saw that! Did a deep dive and looked up Handy Wacks heavy duty paper but it doesn’t look like it has any transparency really. But maybe it’s worth a try. They also make a line of “green wacks” but they still use petroleum with some soy. The thing is they’re really not transparent.
When you find the perfect solution, please let us know! I’ve tried just about every way there is to package soap. Scents may sell the soap but I’m finding that people want to see the design, shape, texture etc. My solution right now is to use shrink wrap bags with an open side for display soaps and something else for the stock soap. Many of the options I’m using are coming from China, so I’m not sure about the footprint, but agree that at least it’s not plastic. Boxes are nice, but relatively expensive, as are some of the cloth bags. The vellum paper I bought is stiff for wrapping soap, but works well for cigar bands and book fold or top fold labels. Reusable tea bags made of very thin cotton are relatively inexpensive and work well with heavy paper cigar bands wrapped around the bag, or a book fold or tag type label tied at the top. Glassine and kraft bags are also relatively inexpensive but they get wrinkled and the glassine bags get a bit crinkled In contact with soap, even after the soap is well cured. To label the glassine bags, I’ve been folding the top down, adding a folded vellum label and then stapling through the label and bag to seal it up. I never thought to try printing directly on the bag, but it works, even with my very basic ink jet printer! I purposely smeared the first two letters right after it came out of the printer. Within about 15 sec the ink was dry and the second two letters did not smear. Thanks for that idea!

View attachment 74312

ETA: I checked the vellum paper I have and it’s 93 GSM. Has anyone tried lighter weight vellum or tracing paper through a printer? For example, I found 60 GSM and 50 GSM options that have reasonable reviews on Amazon.
Oh, this is so interesting - that’s great that printing on the bags worked!
I like the idea of the lighter weight vellum. I don’t know what weight the stuff I have is - I picked up a whole bunch at hobby lobby when they had it at a ridiculously reduced price. I agree that it looks great as cigar bands. Here’s what I do for my sample bars - you can see the wrapped soap peeking out from behind.
IMG_2575.jpeg
That’s helpful to know glassine gets wrinkled.
Reusable tea bags! Brilliant! 😃

Last edited:
I like that, too @Ephemerella! 😊
I want more soap to show so I do a way less fancy version with kraft brown paper and glue tape that lets 2/3 of the bar show. I use a label on the front and back, and want to eliminate the labels. Next up, I’ll play around to hopefully design the template so I can print directly on the paper. The wrapping process now is fun and relaxing, but it likely wouldn’t be sustainable if I was doing mass production.

I just remembered that I also have this bakery tissue that I‘ve been using to wrap lotion bars (I got the idea from Ellen Ruth). The sheets turned out to be a little narrow (6”) to wrap round/domed soaps from cavity molds, but I never tried it for a bar soap. It‘s very transparent and was plenty strong enough to wrap the bar of soap in the photo below without tearing, but I wouldn’t try to put it through a printer. It actually seems very promising for wrapping with a printed label added. Just found another relevant video by Ellen Ruth, here. A bleached paper would be nicer for some soaps so I went ahead and ordered something similar in white (but not “eco”).

IMG_4877.jpeg

Link to the tea bags I ordered.

Last edited:
I just remembered that I also have this bakery tissue that I‘ve been using to wrap lotion bars (I got the idea from Ellen Ruth). The sheets turned out to be a little narrow (6”) to wrap round/domed soaps from cavity molds, but I never tried it for a bar soap. It‘s very transparent and was plenty strong enough to wrap the bar of soap in the photo below without tearing, but I wouldn’t try to put it through a printer. It actually seems very promising for wrapping with a printed label added. Just found another relevant video by Ellen Ruth, here. A bleached paper would be nicer for some soaps so I went ahead and ordered something similar in white (but not “eco”).

View attachment 74314

Link to the tea bags I ordered.
I really like this eco craft wrap and it looks very transparent.
I found some info about printing on deli wrap but it involved taping each sheet to a stiffer sheet. I tried it and it does work but definitely not efficient for wrapping lots of soap.
I like that, too @Ephemerella! 😊
I want more soap to show so I do a way less fancy version with kraft brown paper and glue tape that lets 2/3 of the bar show. I use a label on the front and back, and want to eliminate the labels. Next up, I’ll play around to hopefully design the template so I can print directly on the paper. The wrapping process now is fun and relaxing, but it likely wouldn’t be sustainable if I was doing mass production.
I’d love to see your wrapping technique @dmcgee5034 !
This discussion is so helpful I’ve been kind of obsessing over what I want to change.

I personally use labels that wrap all the way around my bars & which actually stick to the bars, but still show the soap & allow people to smell them. There is room on the label for logo, product name, ingredients & so on.

This means that there is no slippage of a band, which come off as soaps shrink.

It also means that people can see & smell the soap.

Yes, sure, the soap still does shrink over time to some degree, but my labels stay on no matter what, people get to pick product up & smell it without marring my bars, and no plastic as the labels are kraft brown paper with a good adhesive. They can also be bought in white vs kraft brown.

I personally use labels that wrap all the way around my bars & which actually stick to the bars, but still show the soap & allow people to smell them. There is room on the label for logo, product name, ingredients & so on.

This means that there is no slippage of a band, which come off as soaps shrink.

It also means that people can see & smell the soap.

Yes, sure, the soap still does shrink over time to some degree, but my labels stay on no matter what, people get to pick product up & smell it without marring my bars, and no plastic as the labels are kraft brown paper with a good adhesive. They can also be bought in white vs kraft brown.
Would love to see yours if you want to share!
With the goal of avoiding plastic in mind I also tried out surgical paper tape to avoid using plastic tape. Like this
IMG_8755.jpeg

Not really practical budget wise - I’m still exploring. I have tried washi tape but it doesn’t seem very sticky, or maybe I just bought a cheap knockoff that has weak adhesive. which reminds me, I don’t really know what the adhesive itself is made of. 🤔

Oh more good ideas! Elevate packaging also has compostable cellophane bags (made from wood fiber) that look interesting. I did read that cellophane manufacture is pretty polluting so I need to research that more. But the labels look great! I need to work my way through a big box of shipping labels I got off of a clearance shelf at Staples. (Can you tell I’m a bargain hunter? 😁)
https://elevatepackaging.com/2-5-x-0-75-x-6-75-compostable-cellophane-bags/

I tried vellum for band labels and they printed well (Epson durabrite ink) but were a bit stiff in the thickness I had.

I so agree about not settling customers with plastic waste. But also am trying to eliminate it on my end as well; adhesives and label backing sheets are generally not recyclable. So we end up with extra trash that way.

I did find Ecoenclose makes some labels with truly compostable adhesive and recyclable backing sheets. I think they're adding sizes of labels too.
Hi all, as some of you know (since I’m always blathering away about my booth) I sell at various venues. I invested a while ago in a shrinkwrapping system, but the truth is I don’t love it. I appreciate that it is transparent, so buyers can see the designs, and I appreciate that the wrapping protects the bars. And I can “freshen up“ the wrapping by passing the heat gun by it. But I don’t like the plastic and customers don’t either.
I don’t want to sell “naked” bars. Just me. Also don’t want to use cigar bands or boxes. Also, just my preference.
I have started wrapping a few soaps that don’t have designs with deli wrappers, ones that I had on hand, that have a plastic coating (some have soy based plastic but these don’t). I got the idea from @DeeAnna from this post:
Thread 'Kabnet Wax deli paper for wrapping bar soap'
Kabnet Wax deli paper for wrapping bar soap

I am still using translucent plastic labels which probably have more plastic than the shrinkwrapping, per bar. 😐
I have a notion about printing labels on translucent paper if I could find the right material. Glassine paper is all plant fiber, no plastic. I can’t nail down if it it printable on a laser printer but I’m still researching. But I think it might be too delicate. Vellum paper is nifty and translucent, but a little heavy I think. I currently have my sample bars labeled with the name of the bar with a vellum cigar band - it’s eye-catching and works well but they do become loose over time. For my round bars I have used florist wrap but I’m pretty certain it is coated with plastic. it is translucent and remarkably sturdy.
Not to say that glassine and vellum are perfect, I don’t know the carbon footprint of creating them. But at least the buyer doesn’t end up with plastic.

Anybody else use vellum or glassine paper to wrap their soap? Where is this unicorn of soap wrapping; translucent, eco friendly, budget friendly, sturdy but delicate, printable paper? 🦄

I’d love to see your wrapping technique @dmcgee5034 !
Ok, @Vicki C 😊 I’ll do my best here. Maybe some day I’ll take a try at a video of soapy things, but not today 😂
I buy regular 8.5x11” kraft paper and cut into 6th - 4.25”x3.66”. This size is perfect for my bars. At just under $16 for a 200/pk of paper, and 6 wrappers per sheet, it’s $0.013 (yes, less than 2 cents) per wrapper.
For wrapper size sheets, I fold them at about 1” - I eyeball this - and store them like that until I’m having a wrapping day. When I’m wrapping, I fold around the bar of soap for a bar specific fit, then fold well off the bar for crisp edge. I use a tape runner to seal the middle folds and one little bit on the outside edge flap. I really like that you see a lot of each bar with this wrap process, you can smell the soaps, and my little round logo placement is just what I wanted. On the back I do a label with scent, ingredients and weight.
Eventually I’ll work on eliminating the back label by printing the weight on the front; and the scent, ingredients, and my contact info on the back 😊
IMG_4930.jpegIMG_4931.jpegIMG_4932.jpeg

Would love to see yours if you want to share!

I am happy to share links to the company I buy from :) but I tend to not post online any photos which I take, which I got into the reasons for in another thread.

The ones I use with a band & a square with rounded corners: Mr-Label-Printable Natural Kraft Brown Wrap Soap Label – Soap Cigar Band Label – for Handmade Soap Lotion Bars Bath Bombs | Gift Label – for Inkjet/Laser Printer – MR-LABEL

There are 5 labels per sheet.

EDIT: forgot to say, I buy the 100 sheet packs of the above because they work out the cheapest per label. About 8 cents each. Cheaper per label than buying the larger amount of sheets, strangely.

The white option with a circle instead of the square with rounded corners: Mr-Label 8.5″ x 2.375″ White Cigar Band Soap Labels – Self-Adhesive Waterproof Blank Labels for Inkjet & Laser Printer – for Handmade Lotion Bars | Bath Bombs | Gift Label – MR-LABEL

4 labels per sheet.

I pay $6.99 shipping flat rate no matter how much I order, and I usually order a lot as I buy all my labels for all products from this company at the moment. I don't know what other countries' shipping rates are, however. Sometimes they ship direct from China, other times from Canada, go figger :smallshrug:

You do need to know how to download the label templates & work with them. They have several different file formats available for each label template. PDF / MS Word / Canva / Libre Office. They all work perfectly for me. I just import the PDF format into my graphic design program & design using layers (for anyone familiar with this type of thing.

With the goal of avoiding plastic in mind I also tried out surgical paper tape to avoid using plastic tape. Like this
View attachment 74318

Wow, that never in a million years would have occurred to me....what is the base material this type of tape is made from? Rayon or?? I don't believe it's cotton or anything like that. It might be a type of plastic-based fabric....I have never looked into this actually. I am about to as I want to know. I buy this stuff in 6 packs of large rolls for my own first aid use because of where I live. I deal with my own injuries at home as they happen being as far as I am from any medical facility. The more rolls you buy, the cheaper they are. Maybe find a decent first aid / medical supply company online & buy in bulk? They also come in various widths. I buy rolls which are significantly wider than the above photo.

Not really practical budget wise - I’m still exploring. I have tried washi tape but it doesn’t seem very sticky, or maybe I just bought a cheap knockoff that has weak adhesive. which reminds me, I don’t really know what the adhesive itself is made of. 🤔

I have found that, as beautiful as some washi tape can be, I have never experienced great adhesive properties with this stuff. Maybe some are worse than others, but even the decent stuff isn't that great in terms of being really sticky. I imagine with bars of soap, this would be even more applicable. Maybe order some smaller rolls straight from Japan rather than buying the stuff that is typically produced in China & compare.

Last edited:
Ok, @Vicki C 😊 I’ll do my best here. Maybe some day I’ll take a try at a video of soapy things, but not today 😂
I buy regular 8.5x11” kraft paper and cut into 6th - 4.25”x3.66”. This size is perfect for my bars. At just under $16 for a 200/pk of paper, and 6 wrappers per sheet, it’s $0.013 (yes, less than 2 cents) per wrapper.
For wrapper size sheets, I fold them at about 1” - I eyeball this - and store them like that until I’m having a wrapping day. When I’m wrapping, I fold around the bar of soap for a bar specific fit, then fold well off the bar for crisp edge. I use a tape runner to seal the middle folds and one little bit on the outside edge flap. I really like that you see a lot of each bar with this wrap process, you can smell the soaps, and my little round logo placement is just what I wanted. On the back I do a label with scent, ingredients and weight.
Eventually I’ll work on eliminating the back label by printing the weight on the front; and the scent, ingredients, and my contact info on the back 😊
View attachment 74324View attachment 74325View attachment 74326
Those are very cute and clever!
what is the base material this type of tape is made from? Rayon or?? I don't believe it's cotton or anything like that. It might be a type of plastic-based fabric....I have never looked into this actually. I am about to as I want to know. I buy this stuff in 6 packs of large rolls for my own first aid use because of where I live. I deal with my own injuries at home as they happen being as far as I am from any medical facility. The more rolls you buy, the cheaper they are. Maybe find a decent first aid / medical supply company online & buy in bulk? They also come in various widths. I buy rolls which are significantly wider than the above photo.
Everything I could find says it is paper, so presumably made from plant fibers.
Your labels are elegant & look like another good solution.

Latest posts

Back