My first CP project, I think I totally messed it up, what to expect?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@AliOop , really, no one licks the soap? When I looked up "zap test" I saw 3 ways to do it. One, touch the soap to your tongue šŸ¤® , two, moisten a little corner of the soap, swirl your finger tip around on the moist soap, then touch your soapy finger to your tongue šŸ¤® again! Three, buy a Ph soap test kit. So, did you mean you don't "lick the soap" like it's a lollipop -- you only "lightly touch the soap to your tongue." Or did you actually buy a Ph soap test kit? As disgusting as soap tastes, don't most people do the tongue test anyway? I'm just wondering. Show of hands?
No, do not lick the soap! And do not waste your time with pH strips; they are notoriously inaccurate, plus the pH number absolutely does not tell you if the soap is lye-heavy.

This article explains all that, and also gives the correct procedure for a zap test, which is touching your soapy finger to your tongue, as you noted.

@Tammyfarms - I though the same, and so i googled it: Amazon.com.
Is it real? Made in China and doesn't look like there is any certification.
Interesting. I just did a quick search and one perfume site said coconut EO is harvested from the blossoms of the coconut tree. That makes sense, and I would imagine, expensive. Another (sales) site said they have coconut EO but they also have cinnabun and clean cotton EO. Their oils are supposed to be organic and they donā€™t have any reviews. Sounds hinky to me.

Where did you find coconut EO? I have never heard of coconut EO, only fragrance. I am very interested in knowing your supplier for coconut EO.
You are on the right track, keep researching and asking questions. As you said, there is SO-O-O much to learn. You mentioned you are wanting a really moisturizing bar, some on here will say that soap doesnā€™t moisturize and what you really want is something that doesnā€™t over cleanse. For me, thatā€™s a bar high in lard or tallow. If you are opposed to animal products, thatā€™s fine. If you are open to using lard, I highly recommend it. I was using Shea in my soap and decided that it really doesnā€™t add much to a high lard bar.
The zap test is just touching the tip of your tongue to the bar. PH strips donā€™t work. There are many posts from folks more scientific minded that explain why.
Hang in there, soap is very simple and yet very complicated. As I learn more I realize I will always have more to learn.
@Tammyfarms , I'm pretty sure I bought the EO online through Amazon. Although, I don't find it in my 2023 Orders history to see who exactly sold this to me. I'll have to check tonight when I get home. In regards to lard, I'm opposed to cooking with lard because there are healthier options out there. I have a pretty low meat diet but I'm not opposed to animal products- I know lots of people are. As long as pigs are being killed and bacon is eaten by most of America, I like the idea of using a part of an animal that would otherwise probably go to waste. I will probably eventually try soap from lard. (Now, please no one tell me that lard doesn't actually come from the pigs that are butchered for bacon! Seriously, this forum is dispelling many of my previously held beliefs ... )

Yeah, I think you have a Coconut FO. Coconut EO doesn't exist to my knowledge. Some sketchier websites or suppliers declare all of their products to be EOs. I've seen 'Birthday Cake Essential Oil'. Wonder how they extract that one šŸ¤”šŸ˜†

I zap test by wetting my finger (usually with my tongue, idc), gently rub my finger on the soap and then touch it to my tongue. If it doesn't zap, you'll have the tiniest taste of soap for a second and then its gone.

PH kits are notoriously unhelpful for soap.

You can read more about the Zap Test here. This site is from DeeAnna and has a lot of important information and details about a number of soapy situations.
@basti, I'm checking when I get home. But, I am starting to think I have a coconut fragrance.

@Tammyfarms , I'm pretty sure I bought the EO online through Amazon. Although, I don't find it in my 2023 Orders history to see who exactly sold this to me. I'll have to check tonight when I get home. In regards to lard, I'm opposed to cooking with lard because there are healthier options out there. I have a pretty low meat diet but I'm not opposed to animal products- I know lots of people are. As long as pigs are being killed and bacon is eaten by most of America, I like the idea of using a part of an animal that would otherwise probably go to waste. I will probably eventually try soap from lard. (Now, please no one tell me that lard doesn't actually come from the pigs that are butchered for bacon! Seriously, this forum is dispelling many of my previously held beliefs ... )
Itā€™s interesting you said that about lard, my former podiatrist, who was a devout Muslim said he didnā€™t mind soap made from lard, they just donā€™t consume pork. That blew my mind.
Yes, the pigs that provide bacon are the same ones providing lard. šŸ˜Š I grew up in a household that raised a few pigs a year and my mom used to make lard soap. It is very different than the soap I make. Modern lard soap is so gentle on your skin. I never thought I would use soap in my face and now itā€™s all I use. I also donā€™t cook with it for the same reason, there are definitely healthier options.

@AliOop , really, no one licks the soap? When I looked up "zap test" I saw 3 ways to do it. One, touch the soap to your tongue šŸ¤® , two, moisten a little corner of the soap, swirl your finger tip around on the moist soap, then touch your soapy finger to your tongue šŸ¤® again! Three, buy a Ph soap test kit. So, did you mean you don't "lick the soap" like it's a lollipop -- you only "lightly touch the soap to your tongue." Or did you actually buy a Ph soap test kit? As disgusting as soap tastes, don't most people do the tongue test anyway? I'm just wondering. Show of hands?
Please donā€™t lick your soap! Iā€™ve learned that a safe and reliable zap test is to put on your gloves, wet your soap, get a good lather, and gently, timidly touch your tongue to the bubbles on your glove. If itā€™s zappy, youā€™ll feel it. If itā€™s REALLY lye heavy, you wonā€™t hurt your tongue this way

@akseattle, the only thing Iā€™ll add about unmolding is for me, my loaves are always ready to unmold and cut quicker than my individual cavity mold are ready to pop out cleanly. I made soap on Sunday, cut my loaves Monday - but I have to keep walking away from my cavity molds and will pop them out tonight (unless I canā€™t control myself and do it before work this am šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‰). Happy CP soaping - you got this! šŸŒø
I had to hide my individual cavity bars in the basement yesterday to try to keep my itchy fingers away from them; I ALWAYS want to unmold those when experience has told me to waitā€¦

@basti, I'm checking when I get home. But, I am starting to think I have a coconut fragrance.
@basti and @AliOop , well, you were right. This was a misleading or fraudulent seller. The bottle says "Coconut oil" over a picture of coconuts. below the coconut picture, it says "essential oil." I wish they had at least sold me a fragrance. This is so feint, I don't even know what it is. Another lesson learned.

When I first started, some of the soap calculators made me wanna run for the hills. I liked the simplicity of Lye Calculator and Fragrance Calculator . and still use it occasionally even now. And another plug for Find Blends - EO Calc - Essential Oil Calculator for safe usage rates of essential oils. Good luck to you.
I guess I'm one of the few knuckleheads that just dove in and, used SoapCalc.net and made soap that way.

@akseattle Coconut EO does not exist. You have to use and FO BUT you are not quite ready for that adventure. Coconut FOs can accelerate and heat up your soaps, sometimes leaving you with a soap on a stick. Definitely do more research on EOs in general because you don't want warm spicy EOs to be used at a high % either.

Latest posts

Back